submarine/gasoline rhyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol::up:

I really don't think the original post was started tongue in cheek. It looks pretty serious to me. And then when iota realized that people were criticizing it, he changed it to some sort of funny game, lol.

The couplet game is present in post one. It's the point of the thread...THEREFORE

Everyone who doesn't write a couplet is hijacking my thread!

But, yeah...I only criticize because I know what Bono is capable of when he tries. I'm hoping he put some effort into it, and I want to believe that submarine and gasoline can be rhymed in a profound way. But I need help to see it.

But if it's not a profound song, why would the rhyme need to be PROFOUND?

There are some really amazing classic songs out there that don't even come close to being "profound"...

Yeah I think the lyrics have taken a change with every change the music has made, some for the better some for the worse.

Every album lyrically has had it's gems and it's crap, this is nothing new.

I can almost list a song on every album that I wish Bono never allowed to show the light of day because it's just embarassing...:shrug:

Bono has made some comments recently about stepping up his lyric writing and taking new directions so I'm optimistic and look forward to seeing what we get...

Yeah, it's like Prince is an amazing guitarist, but he puts out whole albums where that isn't showcased. Bono is an incredible poet, but that isn't always evident on every album. I blame the song selection process which seems to worry more about "message" than lyric.

A song can be both profound and throwaway. For me, Zooropa was the best example of this. It had layers, but it was also very purposefully superficial. You could analyze on many levels.

Then Bono started writing about goals and soul and moles in holes and kneeling when love and grace and peace or else and...blah blah blah.

Look...I've heard the beach clips. The music is majestic. Bono needs to step it up. And at some point Larry or Edge has to press him against the wall and say "no more 'air is heavy like a truck' lines".

ok, well first of all...iota, you are assuming submarine and gasoline are rhymed within a couplet....it doesn't have to be a couplet. In fact, I'd imagine in the song, the rhyme of gasoline and submarine is going to be pretty distinct, and they could even be at opposite ends of an entire stanza and still stand out to the listener.

"Her love sets fire to the gasoline
I'm imploding like a submarine"

Maybe not brilliant, but I think it shows that SOMETHING could be done with that rhyme. It's all about context.

Yeah, it's like Prince is an amazing guitarist, but he puts out whole albums where that isn't showcased. Bono is an incredible poet, but that isn't always evident on every album. I blame the song selection process which seems to worry more about "message" than lyric.

See, I agree. I would rank "Honeychild" "Xanax and Wine" "Native Son" even "Levitate" as good lyrical un-self-conscious moments. Hell, even "Mercy" was restrained and craftfully worded. I really like Honeychild. It's light and breezy and still has an artful flow to it. So, I would tend to agree...he overthinks the album tracks, but on the Bsides, he's more free-flowing. Good point. Maybe they should just release an album of what they were going to use as B sides and release tracks Bono thought were going to be album tracks as B sides.

Here's something I just shot in the dark with...

He left the aeroplane, beach cart, and submarine
Survived the drowning, but got lost in the gasoline

I like it. :wink:

Then Bono started writing about goals and soul and moles in holes and kneeling when love and grace and peace or else and...blah blah blah.

I actually agree with you here. Love and Peace could be one of the worst, most banal songs they ever wrote! But all I'm saying is wait for the damn song to show up before prematurely criticizing it.

Iota, what your saying is U2 should do the lyrics first and then the music. U2 doesnt work like that.

Am I drinking whiskey or swallowing gasoline?
I begin to fall like a submarine
Now, am I on fire or is that just gasoline?
There's a nuclear heart to my submarine.
It won't take oil, you can't shovel coal, or even gasoline
Its physics tears reality in half to power the turbines of my submarine!!!!!

I actually agree with you here. Love and Peace could be one of the worst, most banal songs they ever wrote! But all I'm saying is wait for the damn song to show up before prematurely criticizing it.

Isn't it just as ridiculous to prematurely praise it?
Nobody locks the threads that do that!
(Because there wouldn't be any)

Anyway...if people start to get sick of this thread and it starts to drop, I have a secret weapon. I am prepared to reveal what's "really" happening on Lost.

:sexywink:

But I definitely agree with you... "Love and Peace or Else" (lyrics) = :| So contrived and with a sprinkle of hippie... Bono can do better, and has! IMO, the song with the best lyrics from the HTDAAB-era didn't even make the "official" cut - "Fast Cars" (also the stanza Edge sings during the "Miracle Drug" bridge is kind of nice).

Listen, I don't mind the occasional fluff, but I'm more than certain the B-Man can give more than he's provided.

Bono's lyrics are better now than in 1987. now, he actually says something with his words, rather than just trying to sound pretty and artful.

:sexywink:

But I definitely agree with you... "Love and Peace or Else" (lyrics) = :| So contrived and with a sprinkle of hippie... Bono can do better, and has! IMO, the song with the best lyrics from the HTDAAB-era didn't even make the "official" cut - "Fast Cars" (also the stanza Edge sings during the "Miracle Drug" bridge is kind of nice).

Listen, I don't mind the occasional fluff, but I'm more than certain the B-Man can give more than he's provided.

Thank you! My point is not to insult Bono but to acknowledge that he has been below par and to suggest..nay, DEMAND that he put more into it this time around.

I'm not going to take anymore songs about love or peace on earth or else. Period. I believe in peace and love but come on, BE A POET. You make so many billions of dollars a year to tell us the air is "heavy as a truck"? Come on.

Bono's lyrics are better now than in 1987. now, he actually says something with his words, rather than just trying to sound pretty and artful.

What does he say?
That we should have love and peace? Because he was saying that back then, but he could actually make it engaging.

Alright, I'm sorry. Bono's writing skills have been diminishing for about 3 albums now...and this is getting ridiculous. The worst line ever written in a song was:

"the air is heavy...heavy as a truck" from Electrical Storm.

It's getting on my nerves. The music is still quality, but the rest of U2 need to run a intervention on Bono and make him go back to some kind of literary boot camp and re-learn how to write evocatively. I had high hopes for this album, but the fact that he rhymed "submarine" with "gasoline" shows me that he's not even trying any more.

Disagree?

Prove me wrong then. Write an artistically excellent, intellectually stimulation couplet that rhymes "submarine" and gasoline" and I'll eat my words. It can't be done.

I agree with every iota of this post.

Oh, just for the record...while there have been many valiant efforts to make submarine and gasoline rhyme in an artful way on this thread, I am not convinced.

Keep it coming.

"You have the gasoline
to elevate
my submarine"

It's all about sex, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom