Stealth Promotion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i read that journalist's reference to "Vertigo" when describing the song and my heart sank...i hope there is absolutely no resemblance to Vertigo. :down:

Remember these descriptions are shit. Lanois was talking about sci-rock and Edge was talking about Rock n roll 2009. Others wrote Buzzcocks and Bow wow wow. That doesn't sound like Vertigo to me.

We can safely say that this is the rocking version. I think now it starts in daylight and ends in darkness.

I actually still think the the title track is the first version. Loud doesn't mean "not layered" -as the Q article describes the first version as being layered.

Also, remember that Bono played No Line for a journalist at last year's Sundance Festival who mentioned "brutal blasts of distortion" or whatever. This was long before the 2nd version was recorded.

Finally, not many Buzzcocks/Pixies songs go over 3 minutes, let alone 4.

I actually still think the the title track is the first version. Loud doesn't mean "not layered" -as the Q article describes the first version as being layered.

Also, remember that Bono played No Line for a journalist at last year's Sundance Festival who mentioned "brutal blasts of distortion" or whatever. This was long before the 2nd version was recorded.

Finally, not many Buzzcocks/Pixies songs go over 3 minutes, let alone 4.

Q did describe the first version as a "slow-burner" though...

These reviews are intriguing...they come off as a bit negative to me, and mostly that they aren't really sure what to think. I'm thinking No Line might not do as well as HTDAAB and ATYCLB, but it may end up being the better album. I think NLOTH is going to challenge people. It sounds diverse and strange, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. I'm excited to hear it obviously, and also interested to see how people react. I think it's going to have more of a WTF factor than the last two... I hope it's not a "failure" like Pop though.

But if anything else, is there any way MOS can fail? Literally everyone is deeming it a classic.

U2 has once again shaken up and fuckat their basic formula. It's like the band's experimental Berlin-period talking to the atmospheric widescreen coat on "The Joshua Tree" via Skype. It is often hard, tough and heavy.

My favorite part (the gist of it anyway).

Anyone know what "Ireland schlager-EM" is?

Schlager-EM is probably a reference to the Eurovision song contest. An annual event where a very corny popsong from each european country competes. So he suggests that this sounds as if it could be Irelands contribution to this. It is not a compliment.

These reviews are intriguing...they come off as a bit negative to me, and mostly that they aren't really sure what to think. I'm thinking No Line might not do as well as HTDAAB and ATYCLB, but it may end up being the better album. I think NLOTH is going to challenge people. It sounds diverse and strange, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. I'm excited to hear it obviously, and also interested to see how people react. I think it's going to have more of a WTF factor than the last two... I hope it's not a "failure" like Pop though.

But if anything else, is there any way MOS can fail? Literally everyone is deeming it a classic.

I agree with everything you said. I know that the google translations suck, but it really doesn't sound like these guys were 100% enthralled by a lot of the songs. Most of the descriptions have some odd, negative word or phrase in there. But that could still be a good thing, just like you say---it seems like it's a challenging album that has some "weird" thrown in there, which I think could be very cool.

Crazy Tonight received a surprisingly good take!

My biggest curiosity is actually Cedars of Lebanon.

Hendrix drums...ballad...what is going on here?

My fear is another boring "spiritual" song to close the album (Yahweh, Grace)

My hope is another beautiful "spiritual" song to close the album (40, Wake Up etc)

You know what I would really love? A gorgeous ballad with intense percussion-that

would be rare.

I don't understand (Online traslation sucks). He liked it?

I'm not going to put much stock into a hackneyed translation of what some foreign(read:non-English speaking) music journalist(s) said after having only heard the album 1 time.....instead I'll go with the Neil McCormack and Chris Evans reviews which seemed to suggest that although they liked what they heard,they needed repeated listens to fully appreciate what they were hearing...kind of like what AB was all about:up::up:

And this Swedish reviewer excites me. If he hates GOYB, that suggests I'll like much of what he dislikes, and even this guy admits to the epicness of songs like MOS.

I'm very interested in his feelings on UC, though. How can a song with that chorus be categorized as a "drum loop?" Weird.

This newest issue of mojo - the one with Nick Cave on the cover - says it has an "Eno Speaks" section; if you look at the cover on the website, it's in the top slightly to the left. So.....

What does Eno say??

hahaha!

I just read all of those translated reviews. Too funny. The pure crap description of GOYB made me laugh for about a solid 10 minutes.

Maybe its just me, but I'm actually excited that these schmos didn't get the album on the first listen because that tells me that its an album that will take time to settle in and grow on you. That's EXACTLY the type of album I've been waiting for from the band. The kind of album that takes 10-20 listens to start to get it, and about 50-100 for it to finally take shape and sink into you.

I say "Bring on the bad reviews!!!!!"

It only makes me want to hear the album more. :up:

and how good is MOS gonna be? every review i've read just drools over this tune.

and it starting out like "streets of philadelphia"....:drool:

hahaha!

I just read all of those translated reviews. Too funny. The pure crap description of GOYB made me laugh for about a solid 10 minutes.

Maybe its just me, but I'm actually excited that these schmos didn't get the album on the first listen because that tells me that its an album that will take time to settle in and grow on you. That's EXACTLY the type of album I've been waiting for from the band. The kind of album that takes 10-20 listens to start to get it, and about 50-100 for it to finally take shape and sink into you.

I say "Bring on the bad reviews!!!!!"

It only makes me want to hear the album more. :up:

Sorry bud, but I don't understand this at all, and it could just be me, but why do you need to hear a song, album 10-50 times to 'get it' or feel good with it. I'll admit when i first heard pride and my bro plays in it his car I would not get into it, but that was more about my relationship with him. (bad relationship) but I still don't get it why 10-50 times? If something is good I get it more or less right away. But maybe everyone is different. :heart:

I hope the thing about the singles isn't true. I'd like to have Magnificent as the next single. I know Crazy Tonight has been described as a good pop song, but first of all the title is a bit embarrassing and to hear that one announced on radio just makes me cringe a bit, and then I'ld love to have a more epic song for the next single since GOYB is so up-tempo and rocking. But let's wait and see.

I hope the thing about the singles isn't true. I'd like to have Magnificent as the next single. I know Crazy Tonight has been described as a good pop song, but first of all the title is a bit embarrassing and to hear that one announced on radio just makes me cringe a bit, and then I'ld love to have a more epic song for the next single since GOYB is so up-tempo and rocking. But let's wait and see.

The release order will likely vary by territory. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were the same way.

I remember reading a track by track review of ATYCLB and the guy wrote something like that about Wild Honey: "Great :)rolleyes:) acoustic pop song. Most likely one of the next singles".
He was only guessing.
So - for those who can read the original text - did Universal say those songs will be singles or did the guy only think they will be?

I havent listend to the beach since they leaked but wich song is this(come in time 0:20)
YouTube - U2 jamming in Fez

Anyway, I think it is great that the Swedish journalists dosnt know what to think. Most of the songs I thought like that about is the ones that I think is one of th best. The same with the album, AB, Zooropa... Also the swedish journalists is very special, it is cool to not like a record over here...

Their publicist at Uni just told me that they're not doing many press interviews, that Q, NME, Hot Press and other friends of theirs have priority. After 10 years of waiting for an interview, it appears that patience is not always a virtue. I'm disappointed. Well, I guess I'll miss the listening party tomorrow and go to the film festival in France as planned.

I'm not convinced that this thing won't leak unless U2 hires security guards at every place that they are going to be manufacturing plant for the album. In the video game world, just this past fall, two massive games were leaked nearly a month before their street date (Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2).

Back
Top Bottom