Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes... u2 should have eliminated every radio friendly, catchy song from the album and included nothing but pompous experimental crap.

then they could be like radiohead

honestly... some of you are strange.

If by pompous experimental crap, you mean transcendental beauty...
that would be all right. I mean, have you heard In Rainbows?

Disagree, the second half of SUCis excellent. I don't see what all the hype is surrounding Breathe, the chorus reminds of Stuck In A Moment. Okay Bono uses a different singing style and I can respect that, but I can't really get into this song until the guitar solo at the end. I've heard live performances of it and it definitely sounds better than the studio version, but I'd rather listen to SUC than Breathe anyday.

I disagree I love SUC..one of my favorite songs off NLOTH.:up:
I think the worst U2 song ever is :down:Wild Honey..I really can't stand this song at all I find Bono whines through it....:huh:

SUC sounds like oasis. something from the 2005 album. and i think worst u2 song is like grace, or is that all? i mean grace was just lazy. failed idea. if you grace is better then SUC your nuts.

I for one really dig the song and its one my favorite too. I enjoy the guitar riffs, Edges’ harmonies. Love the line Bono sings “Stop help god cross the road like a little old lady”. Song has some punch. It has the same solos as Holy Joy, and I like Holy Joe.
I haven’t found myself skipping any songs on this album yet compared to the last two. The only other I don’t find myself skipping is Achtung Baby. I have also warmed up to GOYB.

I listened to Winter a few times a line bothers me and ruins the song Bono singing hot as hell were like butter on toast. Come on

Cheers

saints on NLOTH isn;t as crazy as some of the bullshit i've heard on here.its crazy, but i have seen worse. i think i know what needs to be done. its gonna be ok.

SUC sounds like oasis. something from the 2005 album. and i think worst u2 song is like grace, or is that all? i mean grace was just lazy. failed idea. if you grace is better then SUC your nuts.

two points,

1. at least grace actually had some heart to it, and

YouTube - Oasis - The Importance Of Being Idle (Live Bataclan 2008)

if only SUC actually did sound like a song from oasis' "the 2005 album," then it would kick the shit out of track 7 on u2's "the 2009 album"

p.s.

3. don't tell me whose nuts i can or can't SUC

That Zeppelin riff is so out of place.
Whoever said it was right: they had a boring tune and Edge thought "Hey, lemmee stick THIS on it!"
LOL.

phail.

I was going to comment, then I realized this thread was started by JOFO. Pay attention to the source. All I'm gonna say.

This is a good song and will be even better live.

U2s worst ever not by a long shot.

I'm getting tired of the criticism SUC is getting. Why do people think it is an HTDAAB cast-off? How can it be when it actually has a groove? It's an insult to compare it with the leaden-footed LAPOE or ABOY. It might not be their most profund song but it's a catchy throwback to the white boy funk of the late eighties Madchester scene (Stone Roses et al) and I like it. What is U2's worst song in my view? Well I think HTDAAB had it's fair share of candidates- Crumbs, LAPOE, the hideous Yahweh- ATYCLB's Grace is pretty bad too- heart or no heart it goes nowhere.

HTDAAB was packed with (imagined) throwbacks to their own sound, not anyone else's. There lies the difference. It was U2 paying tribute to U2.

No, I disagree. From the very first time I played HTDAAB it sounded to me as a tribute album.

Love & Peace Or Else - Led Zeppelin
All Because Of you - The Who (listen to Substitute)
A Man And A Woman - 70s Soul á la Marvin Gaye
One Step Closer - Lou Reed
Original of the Species - The Beatles

Ok, I appreciate the originality of your interpretation, but there is just as much a case for saying ABOY LAPOE etc were throwbacks to some earlier U2 ideal of rawness. That is why they stressed Boy so much at the time. I only hear U2 on One Step Closer and although Original of the Species has some sixties elements it has a huge U2 chorus and chiming guitar. A Man And A Woman is not Marvin Gaye, it just isn't haha. But although it has the signature guitar it is a far more interesting musical excursion which is why I love it so much. But with Vertigo, Crumbs COBL, MD, SYCMIOYO, and Yahweh you definitely have highly self-referential music.

Ok, I appreciate the originality of your interpretation, but there is just as much a case for saying ABOY LAPOE etc were throwbacks to some earlier U2 ideal of rawness. That is why they stressed Boy so much at the time. I only hear U2 on One Step Closer and although Original of the Species has some sixties elements it has a huge U2 chorus and chiming guitar. A Man And A Woman is not Marvin Gaye, it just isn't haha. But although it has the signature guitar it is a far more interesting musical excursion which is why I love it so much. But with Vertigo, Crumbs COBL, MD, SYCMIOYO, and Yahweh you definitely have highly self-referential music.

The "earlier U2 ideal of rawness" was actually based on bands like The Who - definitely not Zep and L&POE is undeniably Zep. I grew up to bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who and I definitely hear these bands in the songs I mentioned - naturally through a U2 filtre - we are talking of an interpretation and not a copy. So the fact that there are U2 elements in the songs, doesn't actually make them throwbacks to their own material. And AMAAW is definitely a 70s soul groove - there's absolutely no denial of that. I can almost hear Marvin Gaye doing that song - sorry. I recall this song being strongly bashed in this forum, probably because it didn't sound anything like U2. It is however, one the few songs I actually like from HTDAAB together with One Step Closer. Regarding the other songs I may concede some self reference, except for Vertigo which is the sort of song I would have expected from Green Day, though U2 had never sounded as over the top before except perhaps in Beautiful Day and Walk On.

Stand up is my fav song on the new disc....I can't wait to hear it live, this song is a bona fide stadium anthem!!

Does anyone hear a little bit of Jane's Addiction in Bono's chanting??

A lot could have been fixed in this song if there had been a better hook phrase instead of "Stand up for your love!"

Not a great lyric there. Nice intentions, sure, but not a great lyric.

Back
Top Bottom