Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono has referred to U2 and himself as rock star, rock band, pop star, etc in many different lights ever since I can remember.

Rock and Roll stops the traffic.

Yea, and rock and roll stops the traffic was always something that puzzled me. Even then it seemed odd coming from Bono. That's one of the reasons they were knocked on R&H, because of all the rock star posturing and the way they "seemed" to ingratiate themselves in with the rock and roll hall of fame. I didn't buy all that shit about them trying to be up with Dylan and BB King, I thought that was a stretch coming from the critics, plus the songs were great...but the "rock and roll stops traffic" always seemed forced to me.

I know what you're gonna say, what about AB, POP? Bono's rock star persona? Etc...etc...

That's exactly why it worked, because the rock n roll image was being channeled thru a character. It was irony, it was camp, it was kitch, whatever! It just worked in that context. That's the only time i could buy U2 as being an all out "rock and roll" band. Not that i have anything against straight up rock and roll stars, but I just never thought of them as one. They were always floating above all that posturing. They were more like prophets, or missionaries with music, messengers. Not "let's rock out HEEWAYYYY!!! (Bono gives the devil sign with his tongue flapping about). <----okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but i hope u get where i'm coming from.

Why is it wrong to enjoy a song without analyzing the lyrics content?Can we just enjoy the music?

Jeezz wizz...

just an opinion, but i hate the part "c'mon ye people"...maybe its an irish expression, but it sounds a bit phony to me...ruins the song for me

wish they kept the song closer to its "larrystuff" (u2.com clip) origins...

just an opinion, but i hate the part "c'mon ye people"...maybe its an irish expression, but it sounds a bit phony to me...ruins the song for me

I suspect that in the previous 20 plus page thread, this comment has been made, but I don't have the time or the energy to read all of the previous posts.

I'm convinced that the "all ye people" lyric is a reference to and a condemnation of the Christian folk about whom Bono has been so critical. The "ye" as opposed to "you" is clearly a church/bible reference. Bono has made no secret of his impatience and disappointment with the church-going folks who do not "stand up for their love", meaning they are all words and no loving action.

i actually like the lyrics.

i find these lyrics a lot more meaningful than "poetic" expressions of angst using "dust/fire/wind/rain" like on Joshua Tree. bono is saying a whole lot more, in a much more creative way, when he sings about "crossing an 8 lane highway" than he is using lugubrious imagery to say something like "driving nails into the souls on the tree of pain."

sure, the 2nd set of lyrics sounds heavier, but they're not. there's a lot going on in this song, maybe too much, and that's probably why it doesn't quite work on the whole. but i really don't think the lyrics, or Bono, is at fault here. he even references "Man On Wire," and in quite a nimble way (ha!). it's all quite creative, and more welcome, imho, than more "demon seed/ flower of fire" stuff where what's being described is very vivid, but what's actually happening in the song is quite straightforward. whereas in SUC, the language is fairly everyday, but there's much more being covered.

I suspect that in the previous 20 plus page thread, this comment has been made, but I don't have the time or the energy to read all of the previous posts.

I'm convinced that the "all ye people" lyric is a reference to and a condemnation of the Christian folk about whom Bono has been so critical. The "ye" as opposed to "you" is clearly a church/bible reference. Bono has made no secret of his impatience and disappointment with the church-going folks who do not "stand up for their love", meaning they are all words and no loving action.

ooh, that's a fantastic explanation . . . hafta admit that haven't really had the time to sit and study the lyrics but that little 'ye' reference had always puzzled me

I like the song . . . the beginning of it reminds a little of the beginning of a song by The Cruel Sea . . . I don't understand all the hate for this one at all, but eh, each to his own . . . I'll just go dance in my own little corner with my happy face on :D see ya

I just love the way the song kicks in, makes me want to jump to my feet every time I hear it. I really like the beginning when Bono sings: You and I've been asleep for hours. Not my favourite song on the album, but still better than Crazy Tonight and I really like it.

The lyrics are hippyish nonsense. No, I take it back, that's an insult to hippies.

It's the kind of nice sounding crap U2 used to present an alternative to.

i actually like the lyrics.

i find these lyrics a lot more meaningful than "poetic" expressions of angst using "dust/fire/wind/rain" like on Joshua Tree. bono is saying a whole lot more, in a much more creative way, when he sings about "crossing an 8 lane highway" than he is using lugubrious imagery to say something like "driving nails into the souls on the tree of pain."

sure, the 2nd set of lyrics sounds heavier, but they're not. there's a lot going on in this song, maybe too much, and that's probably why it doesn't quite work on the whole. but i really don't think the lyrics, or Bono, is at fault here. he even references "Man On Wire," and in quite a nimble way (ha!). it's all quite creative, and more welcome, imho, than more "demon seed/ flower of fire" stuff where what's being described is very vivid, but what's actually happening in the song is quite straightforward. whereas in SUC, the language is fairly everyday, but there's much more being covered.

Please tell me you understand the context of Bullet the Blue Sky.

This song is a piece of shit. It's cliche city in almost every which way, from the opening "Love" to the ridiculously generic opening "riff", to the chorus lyric, to the "soul rocking people" bit. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd have thought it was a parody. The only bit I like is the verse chords. To me, it's U2's most embarrassing song to date, more than "Red Light", or "Love Rescue Me", or "Some Days", or even "Grace". The few times I do listen to it have been in a sadistic vein, to actually enjoy how horrible it is. It's not even Oasis-standard.

Irvine, I don't know what you're smoking, but if it makes SUC's lyrics superior to Bullet's, please pass it on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_(pronoun)

There's nothing "church" or "bible" about the word "ye". No offense, but this is classical U2 Christian overanalyzing. In any case, it doesn't make it sound less phony.

I hope to god they stop playing this song live before Croke. But I know I'm hoping against hope. I like Boots and I even enjoy Crazy to a great deal, but this song blows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_(pronoun)

There's nothing "church" or "bible" about the word "ye". No offense, but this is classical U2 Christian overanalyzing. In any case, it doesn't make it sound less phony.

I hope to god they stop playing this song live before Croke. But I know I'm hoping against hope. I like Boots and I even enjoy Crazy to a great deal, but this song blows.

Just because you don't like that explanation, doesn't mean it can be one interpretation of the lyrics, we all know how Bono is mixing biblical stuff with other (relationship, politics, emotional etc.) stuff when writing songs.

I think you are clearly overreacting regarding this song, honestly calm down. It's a fun song.

I hope they play the song live, can't wait to hear it. The first time I heard the guitar I thought: Wow, this will be great live. I think the band will have a good time performing the song, and the lyrics aren't cliche, but more the parody of cliché, it's Bono pointing at his own often ridiculous image. I wouldn't want a whole album with songs like that, but it's one song and it's like fresh air on the album.

This song is a piece of shit. It's cliche city in almost every which way, from the opening "Love" to the ridiculously generic opening "riff", to the chorus lyric, to the "soul rocking people" bit. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd have thought it was a parody. The only bit I like is the verse chords. To me, it's U2's most embarrassing song to date, more than "Red Light", or "Love Rescue Me", or "Some Days", or even "Grace". The few times I do listen to it have been in a sadistic vein, to actually enjoy how horrible it is. It's not even Oasis-standard.

Irvine, I don't know what you're smoking, but if it makes SUC's lyrics superior to Bullet's, please pass it on.

You are wrong! Its not U2's best by any mean but it's a pretty good and catchy tune indeed! Full of great guitars which I think is going to translate amazingly well live. I for one can't wait to hear this song live.

it's the weakest track on the album- but they have done far worse over the years

Miami
Please
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress
Indian Summer Sky
Most of Rattle & Hum

I like the song although I can sort of understand why others don't. One thing we can surely all agree on though - Larry's drumming is amongst his best work :applaud:

Personally I'm hoping they do play it live I reckon it'll really take off. Plus, I'd even think it would make a good single to surprise non-fans.

Please tell me you understand the context of Bullet the Blue Sky.

yes, of course i do.

all Bono is doing in BTBS is describing a situation using portentous religious imagery.

in SUC, he's actually offering up some psychological analysis.

big, flowery words often say very little at all.

I just hope this song is the very last, feeble gasp of the Bomb-era. I hope the soul rockin’ people do actually move on, thanks.

How on earth does a song like this (which I'm not saying is fantastic by any stretch) get the reputation of worst song on the album, when the obvious "sore thumb" song is "Crazy Tonight"? Now there's a song that sounds like an effortless afterthought that has HTDAAB written all over it.

Crazy Tonight and SUC sound like what the band did during the delay so that they could have more digestable pop tunes on the album that were a breeze for them to throw in at the last minute; Yeah, way to be experimental and innovative guys!:applaud:

I know everyone here hates Crazy Tonight, but it's got the strongest melody on the record.

You don't come up with something like that as an "afterthought".

Back
Top Bottom