Stand Up Comedy Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going against the general consensus, I actually enjoy this song. There is no song on this album that I do not enjoy. The bridge section in SUC especially is beautiful!

The other thing that just hit me is that this song sounds a lot like Jason Mraz' The Remedy. OMG Bono copied Jason Mraz!!!1

: omgohnoes:

After 3 listens....I like it. Its simple but its good and thats all Im really looking for with this.

:up: I guess U2 does funk song.

Always liked the riff. Only downside is Bono going off "soul rocking people" when Edge should have played a solo after that big rocket/airplane/siren sound at about 2:50 mark. I believe a good live version could help this song stop being underappreciated.

I like it. :up: When the album just came out it was one of my favorite songs.
But if you compare it to the rest of NLOTH it's pretty weak.

Like this song a lot. I think it should be the 4th single and I'm hoping they play it on the North American leg.

Really? Seems like a perfect rock song to do live...all parts are covered, unlike ABOY and other past rock songs.

It seems to me that Stand Up Comedy has the best lyrics of any song on the album, definitely the most truthful at least. Could that be why some people react against it?

I just can't for the life of me understand why some call it "cute".

I think the only way to do it live would sound too much like the album if you know what I mean. U2 live songs go to another level, and I love SUC, but I dont think live would give it that next step

Oh well, U2 thought highly of it enough to put it on their album of just 11 songs in 4 years. I'm glad they were not embarrassed by it. :up:

It's a good song. Not a great song, but a good song. It belongs on a previous album, as it is a song U2 could come up with in their sleep; however, it is a well done formulaic U2 song. I enjoy it and like it better than a handful of the other songs on the album, just hoping it's the last remains of the Bomb era getting aired out for the final time.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Oh, and why did they have to change it from just "Stand Up" to "Stand Up Comedy"...bad move.

The lyrics are cringe worthy in this tune - I won't discuss the "little old lady," line again. The "white funk" riff needs to be more nasty, a la Achtung Baby for this to ever work. Think Mysterious Ways.

U2 went so Atomic Bomb session on this, and what for? Its not like this was ever going to be a single contender, they should have made this more of a good deep cut. I think we might have heard an early, better rough version in the studio clips from a year ago where this did sound "darker."

Anyway, just my two cents. Not hating, just not a fan of this one.

i think it is a good rock song.
a red hot chili peppers 's song but made from u2.
And i want to hear Stand up comedy live...

I don't think you should take the lyrics seriously. It'scalled Stand Up COMEDY.

The lyrics are cringe worthy in this tune - I won't discuss the "little old lady," line again. The "white funk" riff needs to be more nasty, a la Achtung Baby for this to ever work. Think Mysterious Ways.

U2 went so Atomic Bomb session on this, and what for? Its not like this was ever going to be a single contender, they should have made this more of a good deep cut. I think we might have heard an early, better rough version in the studio clips from a year ago where this did sound "darker."

Anyway, just my two cents. Not hating, just not a fan of this one.

.. just one question.

You are ofcourse entitled to your opinion.

But

Why are you posting this in an Apreciation thread for this song? :huh:

I like the line "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady". I live in a very religious community. The kind of close minded, sheep-like religious community. Let's just say in high school, I was one of the BAD BOYS, despite the fact that I didn't drink, do drugs, have sex (no girls would do that), steal things or drive a muscle car. That line really is a smart insight, and it rings quite true to me.

Stand Up Comedy is not my favorite song on the album by any means. However, I really do like it, and I don't think it deserves the massive amount of hate it gets.

I don't think you should take the lyrics seriously. It'scalled Stand Up COMEDY.
It's a great name...

Stand Up Comedy is a show where comedians tell jokes to a live audience...I think the title sums up that kind of comparison about standing up to our general hypocrisy etc etc...

And the lyrics of the song are excellent IMO - it's like storytelling in a way.

I do hope they play it live eventually.

Back
Top Bottom