Stand Up Comedy Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this song could be really amazing live, although I think that the guys could have put this together a little better in the studio.

This song gets better with every listen. I was actually jonsing for it while out for dinner. Very well built, Edge is all over the place and that is refreshing. He's all over the pedals, can't imagine him walking around too much during this one live, just jamming hard! Top 3 tonight for me (of my favorite tracks -changes every day).

The evil thing about that song is that you simply don't get the monster riff out of your head after listening to it. At least that's what happened to me yesterday.

first 1/2 song = pretty good
second 1/2 song = amazing!!!!

cool to see what they do with this live...

The only thing that bugs me a little about this song is that there is a hook at the end of the first verse in the line "I'm gonna fall down/if I can't stand up/For your love" that never shows up again in the song. It just feels kind of weird for a hook that good to be up front in the first 30-40 seconds of the song and that never be heard from again.

But I love this song!

This was (past tense) the one I have skipped over. Then I heard it this morning on the radio while running errands. It will be their next single (I think). Very radio friendly. Just like that - gained an appreciation of what I'd been missing. :up:

How is this song weak? This song is brilliant! Its the Larry and Edge show! :rockon:

Haven't seen Larry drum so well, and Edge is truly on fire, the solo reminds me of a louder and rockier version of the Velvet Dress solo.

Yes, this song and 'Crazy Tonight' are really good in my opinion, I was totally surprised at how strong they were, and neither deserves to be lumped in with GOYB, which, in my opinion, is the only turkey on this album. Having said that, they are similar to 'Boots in that they're more commercial, but that's it.

"I got to stand up
The wire is stretched in between our two towers
Stand up in this dizzy world

Where a lovesick eye can steal the view
I’m gonna fall down if I can’t stand up

For your love"

Reference to "Man on Wire"?

man%20on%20wire%201.jpg

Just wondering:reject:

this song amazes me. it's so slick and slippery. it's a miracle of production, like it's bouncing all around the room and you're chasing after it to try and see what it is and make sense of it and then, poof, just like that, it's gone. and you're all WTF just happened?

I agree, there's a lot going on in this song production-wise, it's much less bare-boned that I expected. I like a lot of the things they did with the massed vocals, and the lyrics don't bother me anywhere near as much as I'd feared.

How is this song weak? This song is brilliant! Its the Larry and Edge show! :rockon:

Haven't seen Larry drum so well, and Edge is truly on fire, the solo reminds me of a louder and rockier version of the Velvet Dress solo.

really? I hear alot of "Holy Joe" near the end of SUC...

:rockon: great song

Okay, I don't know if anyone else but me hears this, but Bono's vocals on this song really remind me of. . . .

Michael W. Smith.

I don't think that's a good thing for Bono, because Michael W. Smith is an unremarkable vocalist at best. It's not the kind of comparison I like to draw.

But I happen to like a lot of Smith's music, as cheesy as it is, so it don't bother me none. Just doesn't sound so much like U2.

Back
Top Bottom