[SPECULATION] U2-new single on New Years Eve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
folks, don't expect anything from this radio station by the end of the week
i heard that shit, it's just a commercial for some future 2009 u2 promotion, nothing specific

it may be premiered on BBC radio as usual, but i don't see it coming before the end of the holidays...people are too drunk for that on NY's week

folks, don't expect anything from this radio station by the end of the week
i heard that shit, it's just a commercial for some future 2009 u2 promotion, nothing specific

it may be premiered on BBC radio as usual, but i don't see it coming before the end of the holidays...people are too drunk for that on NY's week

yep. i said it yesterday.

and it would be dumb of U2 to have their world premiere on a holiday week, where radio, tv stations and newspapers suffer some of their worst ratings.

I would really expect that we would've heard a lot more hype by now if they were releasing a new single--first one after a few years--in only a day and a half. You don't make 2009 "our year" and make a big splash by secretly releasing an unadvertised single on a day that half the world is hungover or bumming around at home. :shrug:

So what are the chances U2 debuts their new single with a live version just after the stroke of midnight on one of the New Years Eve shows? Afterall 2009 is their year and what better time to make a splash.
Thoughts?

None...this is a silly thread....why would you release a single when all people would be thinking about would be the new year's celebrations all around the world...and NOTHING else???:down:
I'm glad you're not in charge of marketing anything U2....you would be fired for even making that suggestion

So we've had the Spanish and the French come up with a hoax for the new single. Hopefully tomorrow the Germans will come up with something. :hyper:

I'm afraid of what the Germans would come up with :ohmy:

However, as a man of german nationality, I apologize in advance for any jokes/april fools/offences that the germans might commit in the coming days...:wink:

yep. i said it yesterday.

and it would be dumb of U2 to have their world premiere on a holiday week, where radio, tv stations and newspapers suffer some of their worst ratings.

That's right and where would they even release a video in the US?
VH1 doesn't even show music videos during the holidays.
They have way too many crap shows to show repeats of rather than to bother with something new.
I don't know about MTV, haven't tuned in there for a really long time.

Called one of my local radio stations & asked if they knew anything about when they'll be playing the new single. The DJ googled "U2 new single" and came up with the December 18th Billboard article that announced the album. She didn't know anything.

I wouldn't expect a lowly ol' DJ to know all the ins & outs, but I would think that she'd know if they were getting a new U2 single in only 3 days...

If any DJs had the single, it would have leaked by now BD leaked, Eletrical Storm, Vertigo. They were all played well before they were supposed to.

U2 mgmt will probably release the single to radio the day it's supposed to be played.

The one radio station that seems to be on top of the new U2 songs is the one in LA (KROQ? maybe). They played Vertigo first before anyone else. In fact, they even played it without mentioning anything. I remember a person on Interference saying they were in the shower and heard what sounded like U2 song. Big guitar and some spanish counting.

I expect something similar this time. It'll be played before we even know what's going on.

If any DJs had the single, it would have leaked by now BD leaked, Eletrical Storm, Vertigo. They were all played well before they were supposed to.

U2 mgmt will probably release the single to radio the day it's supposed to be played.

The one radio station that seems to be on top of the new U2 songs is the one in LA (KROQ? maybe). They played Vertigo first before anyone else. In fact, they even played it without mentioning anything. I remember a person on Interference saying they were in the shower and heard what sounded like U2 song. Big guitar and some spanish counting.

I expect something similar this time. It'll be played before we even know what's going on.

They did the same with Window in the Skies if I remember correctly..

that and Indie 103, i think. once we get word that they or KROQ are playing it, we'll know it's time.

i cant stand waiting for the radio premiere of the single, just wonder maybe on the next dave fanning show on sunday? he seems to be U2 friend for ages.
RT?.ie 2fm: The Dave Fanning Show
strange thing that there wasnt even official announcemet of single name....

Yep, it is about time for a new single. Like everybody else here, I barely can wait. Nothing like the sound of new U2 music playing sudenly on the radio on a given day :hyper: :)

Cheers,
MT

Does this topic still serve a purpose since you know, it's past New Years Eve? Unless we are talking about December 31, 2009...

...:lock::lock::lock:

My money's on Jo Whiley at BBC1 getting it first...

I thought that previously myself, but it turns out she's on maternity leave 'til February, and I really hope we won't be waiting that long for some airplay! She still might get an exclusive pre-album release live session with them, like she did for ATYCLB (and maybe HTDAAB as well - I was overseas and missed out if she did).

Don't know who else would be in the running from the Radio One DJ's...maybe Chris Evans on Radio 2? Very popular show, and he used to get U2 on TFI Friday, every week if you consider the Massive Heads!

My money's on Jo Whiley at BBC1 getting it first...

I thought that previously myself, but it turns out she's on maternity leave 'til February, and I really hope we won't be waiting that long for some airplay! She still might get an exclusive pre-album release live session with them, like she did for ATYCLB (and maybe HTDAAB as well - I was overseas and missed out if she did).

Don't know who else would be in the running from the Radio One DJ's...maybe Chris Evans on Radio 2? Very popular show, and he used to get U2 on TFI Friday, every week if you consider the Massive Heads!

Jo Whiley was my thought too, that was my reason for picking the date and time I did in the prediction thread. I see your message about her maternity leave now, so I dunno now...I'd lean towards Fanning now for the "official" premiere although maybe she can come off leave for a day for this special occasion? :wink: I believe KROQ broke embargo both of the times cited.

Back
Top Bottom