Speculation thread: predict U2's next era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and that last great defy the mainstream fuck 'em all we're different YEA! record was Pop, which featured a song that pulled the drum beat directly from Sunday Bloody Sunday.

so what the F is your point? U2 is U2. they're going to make songs that sound like U2. there's only a limit to how much one can change. you are who you are.

YouTube - Dennis Green Throwing a Tantrum
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Denny Green should be U2's designated person to explain this to the delusional.

Or Larry the Grouch.........

I am who the fuck you think I am!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ain't no drum machine gonna let me off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm playing 5 ATYCLB songs per night because I don't feel like doing anything, anyone have any questions???????" (scowls, death stare)

Then let's just say we have to agree to disagree because those comparisons, damn :ohmy:... Do you also think that MOS is just a mash-up of One and The Unforgettable Fire or something like that :wink:? Ok just kidding, I don't think I will convince you and you certainly won't convince me with this kind of arguments ;).
Yes, I do, but not "One" and TUF. MOS is reminiscent (a lot) of "Your Blue Room" (for example) and many other atmospheric U2 songs. It's very U2-ish.

Did you find innovation in 'Desire'?

Which songs in particular do you think were Beatlesque of the second half of the 80's?

Question 1) "Desire" isn't new. But it was new for U2 back then.
A "Desire" revival now, still wouldn't be new sounds, but wouldn't be new for U2 either.
That's why I do not approve U2 recovering their own traditional sound and living of revivals of what once was their sound-signature (or of what they think that is).

Question 2) Someone already gave you an example ("Sweetest Thing").

Question 1) "Desire" isn't new. But it was new for U2 back then.
A "Desire" revival now, still wouldn't be new sounds, but wouldn't be new for U2 either.
That's why I do not approve U2 recovering their own traditional sound and living of revivals of what once was their sound-signature (or of what they think that is).

Question 2) Someone already gave you an example ("Sweetest Thing").

That was my point, Desire was new for U2 then like Vertigo was new for U2 then. You cannot point to anything in their back catalog that was like that...

I'll give you Sweetest Thing, but it was a b-side, and you were trying to make it sound like it was at least multiple songs in the second half of the 80's.

That was my point, Desire was new for U2 then like Vertigo was new for U2 then. You cannot point to anything in their back catalog that was like that...

I'll give you Sweetest Thing, but it was a b-side, and you were trying to make it sound like it was at least multiple songs in the second half of the 80's.
Well, I still think that "Vertigo" isn't new for the overall scene, neither for U2. Besides one detail or another, "Vertigo" is a post-punk-pop/rock revival. And U2 has already done that, 20/25 years before, they already have similar songs (with different production, but they have it).

Well, I still think that "Vertigo" isn't new for the overall scene, neither for U2. Besides one detail or another, "Vertigo" is a post-punk-pop/rock revival. And U2 has already done that, 20/25 years before, they already have similar songs (with different production, but they have it).

Well since you've repeatedly avoided the question as to which songs in their catalog are similiar to Vertigo I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't know much about music, theory or composition wise...

There were no power chord riff driven songs in their catalog. End of story.

"Sometimes when a hero takes me, sometimes i can't let go....uno dos tres catorce!... stories for boys"

YES! You are right.

"Sometimes when a hero takes me, sometimes i can't let go....uno dos tres catorce!... stories for boys"

YES! You are right.

I was thinking more about the guitar chimes in the middle of both songs(eg.during the "all of this can be yours" bit in Vertigo) smart arse.

U2, just like every other band... or artist for that matter, should be making the music they feel like making. It seems to me that as of the last few years they've had a desire to make music that's more atmospheric and experimental BUT they still have that desire to be loved by millions, win awards and have their songs on the radio. From what I've read it seems like NLOTH was originally much more atmospheric and experimental than it turned out being, but they took a step back and realized that the album wasn't safe enough, which led to a delay and some disjointed parts of the album. I loved NLOTH, but I think the fact that consumers payed less attention to it will cause U2 to revert back to their need to be safe again and they'll end up looking back on NLOTH like it was a mistake (they already sound like they regret it) like they do with Pop.

Which makes me frustrated honestly. I can't read their minds, but again, I feel like in a world where sales and popularity weren't a factor U2 would be making different music than they are now, which is why I say they've sold out to a point (yeah, I said it). We know U2 crave sales, popularity and awards, and we know they're willing to stifle their creativity to get it, so what other conclusion is there?

That said the Danger Mouse album has me really intrigued and could (but I doubt will) prove me wrong. Bands he's produced for (Gorillaz) are extremely creative but have also managed to make it huge. If U2's goal is to be loved by the mainstream then hopefully they're willing to look at the other bands he's produced for and realize that they can use a producer like Danger Mouse to be creative and appealing to the masses.

his point is fair enough though
what does "in a world where sales and popularity weren't a factor" even mean?
it's beyond hypothetical

BVS, do you get paid per argument?

Per word, per argument...:wink:

I actually just don't understand shart's point. He keeps saying the same thing over and over but without making sense, never actually engages and remains annoying.

Sure I can ignore him, but why not point out the weakness in his argument? Am I hurting anyone? I didn't attack him in anyway.

Because it seems like all you do is point out the weakness in people's arguments. It doesn't matter if you have a good point or not, it just makes you look like someone who just likes to argue, and will not let anything go.

Seriously, you're like a pit bull who will latch onto any sign of weakness and just keep breaking down their points and posts.

I like you. Stop making me scroll past all your posts. :wink:

Maybe my bitchy comment would be more fitting if I had Lucille as my icon again. :hmm:

Edit: Sorry. This place is making me insane and crabby again.

It probably goes back to my days on the debate team.

I don't feel bad about calling out a known troll, but I feel bad about annoying you.

Sorry.

Now I feel bad about making you feel bad about bad ... wait.

What?

Please carry on. I'll shut up. :)

Well since you've repeatedly avoided the question as to which songs in their catalog are similiar to Vertigo I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't know much about music, theory or composition wise...

There were no power chord riff driven songs in their catalog. End of story.

F*** OFF and get a life! You're the one who loses the argumentation battle because of this kind of attacks... Which only makes you lose value, instead of wasting mine. Can't you see that?

I only won't click the ignore button on your comments because I still can laugh a little reading how pathetic you sound.

You sound exactly like a wasted party in the government for years and its "blind-boys" (yes, you're thinking well: read it like "blind-sheep"): There's no ideology at all, there's no guiding line or direction, there's only the purpose of holding on that position and repeating the same empty (and wasted) speech of the leader, over and over.
Get over it for your dignity!

D'you want other U2 songs that sound like "Vertigo" (except the more sofisticated production)? Listen to Boy or to some War songs!

:doh: The thing is, I wasn't even defending the song, I don't really care that much for it, I put it up there with Numb and Disco. But I do recognize that it was something U2 hadn't done before. Nothing blind sheep about it.

Sorry. This place is making me insane and crabby again.
It's Interference. You'll fit right in. :wink:
So, anyway, about that next era...I'm guessing it'll be sort of a "hybrid" of the '90s and '00s. Wider sonic palette, more electronic experimentation, but the songs themselves will probably lean more towards sincerity than irony.

My point is that I think U2 has different artistic desires that they don't express because they want to be liked. Look at a band like Blur (who you might not follow) who had three popular pop albums with radio hits, and then out of the blue came out with an album (called 13) full of atmospheric instrumental passages, distorted vocals and guitar static. A lot of the fans hated it but a lot loved it (I think it's a classic album). When Jonathan Ross asked Damon Albarn if he cared about the sales he said "it's really really more important to do something you're in love with. And if you sell a few records that's great."

My point is, even if U2 wanted to go balls out and release something crazy like that, I don't think they would because I think they're terrified of not being accepted by the masses. Again, U2 will always have millions of fans, so it's ridiculous for any of us to pretend that there's any danger in them experimenting. It would be almost impossible for them to ruin their legacy unless they went all out and started making square dance music or something crazy. They have the freedom to do what they want within reason, but I don't think they're necessarily more in love with their music than being accepted.

U2 have to accept the fact that they're not always going to be the "biggest band in the world". At this point, they are WAY beyond elder statesmen status, they are an ANCIENT band at this point. They are OLD. What else is there to prove? NOTHING!!! I think it would be the most FREEING thing if they just GAVE IT UP and just decided on making MUSIC FOR MUSIC'S SAKE!!!

What can go wrong?! Seriously! What can backfire at this point?

Back
Top Bottom