Speculation: NLOTH similar to TUF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I've been saying for years theat UF is the first of U2's 3 "masterpieces", I only welcome a somewhat "return" of sorts to that sound.
It's really an ambience that has never been recaptured on an other U2 records.
Not that I want a remake of it; it seems they're also pushing the POP thing again...which is also cool. I just love that they would be willing to revisit that record in some ways.
I just hope the production has the same open like quality to it, as opposed to Bomb which felt squashed.

Well, it's not that obvious.. We've heard only a few clips, could be anything... :hmm:

Yeah, these beach clips are pretty old, bearing in mind as people say U2 are changing formats of songs right up to the last minute, these beach songs are bound to either be totally different, only used in snippets on songs or completely absent from the album all together.

We don't really know what the album will sound like, there's just been so much mad speculation based on some hard to hear beach clips...weird:huh:

Unknown Caller (clip 1) is probably unchanged (according to Edge's comments in Mojo).

The other 3 could be unchanged as well, with the possible exception of Breathe (according to the latest from Q). I'm guessing GYBO and Magnificent were pretty intact back then. Which is why Bono was blasting them.

Since I've been saying for years theat UF is the first of U2's 3 "masterpieces"

I take it that JT & AB are the others?

If so then I'd agree. I've been fighting with myself over whether or not I'd categorize ATYCLB as the 4th masterpiece...but I just can't quite get there. If it weren't for 2-3 super weak songs on that album it would make it for me...though UF has a couple of stinkers as well.

I take it that JT & AB are the others?

If so then I'd agree. I've been fighting with myself over whether or not I'd categorize ATYCLB as the 4th masterpiece...but I just can't quite get there. If it weren't for 2-3 super weak songs on that album it would make it for me...though UF has a couple of stinkers as well.

I like every tune on UF and the flow of it especially.

ATYCLB has about 4-5 great tunes, and the rest are filler junk.

^Like, I said I feel alone here liking ATYCLB and HTDAAB the way I do. :reject: And Pop...and R&H...and... ok, let's focus here people ! :doh:

Anyway, I feel that's pointless to compare a unheard album to something else, but anyway...
I hope they are not similar, I hope that the new album is similar to everything they've done and at the same time, it's fresh and "it's something like we've never heard before" Asking too much?? :drool:
Now seriously....I don't think TUF is a "masterpiece"...but it comes close. And if NLOTH is better than it....NLOTH probably is a masterpiece. Let's wait and see

Oh, and ATYCLB, Elvis Presley and America rocks!!!! And Miami too! :angry:

I like every tune on UF and the flow of it especially.

ATYCLB has about 4-5 great tunes, and the rest are filler junk.

The flow of UF is what makes it so different from anyother U2 album in my opinion. Its really great...I just wish it were longer. Waaaay too short for my liking. But, it is what it is....and thats not all bad.

Unknown Caller (clip 1) is probably unchanged (according to Edge's comments in Mojo).

The other 3 could be unchanged as well, with the possible exception of Breathe (according to the latest from Q). I'm guessing GYBO and Magnificent were pretty intact back then. Which is why Bono was blasting them.

I wouls agree, but with some small tinkering. The September article with Edge in Q said that he was finishing the final mix for GYBO, laying down 'an acoustic overdub'. Makes the VERY interesting in an electro-rocker. That interview was published well after the beach clips, but probably conducted around the same time, so who Knws???

I wouls agree, but with some small tinkering. The September article with Edge in Q said that he was finishing the final mix for GYBO, laying down 'an acoustic overdub'. Makes the VERY interesting in an electro-rocker. That interview was published well after the beach clips, but probably conducted around the same time, so who Knws???

It will be very cool. However, let's not forget that the highly distorted/loud/electric HMTMKMKM (thats one hell of an acro) had acoustic in it, also. Then again, it wasn't too legendary live, or even in the studio.

It will be very cool. However, let's not forget that the highly distorted/loud/electric HMTMKMKM (thats one hell of an acro) had acoustic in it, also. Then again, it wasn't too legendary live, or even in the studio.

I actually think that HMTMKMKM was quite successful. They were able to incorporate strings, acoustic guitar, heavy electric guitar as well as other effects. The song wasn't the best thing they've done, but it would be nice to see them take a page from the song and use those same elements on the new album. I think they could nail it this time around. The biggest problem when you use so many different sound layers is how to translate the song live. HMTMKMKM benefitted from a great guitar lick, which worked....but a song like "Do You Feel Loved", which was really great on the album POP failed live because all of the sounds and effects couldn't translate well.

Nah, it'll probably be piano :)

I'm just curious about every single song! Kind of Crazy Tonight right now because of the Pop song tag Q assigned to it.

Edge has said they are trying to get the album to flow together, and if we have atmopsheric type songs...how would a pop song fit into that mold? Maybe that's why William was brought in, since that's his specialty.

From the Q article, it does sound like a departure, and a mix of all different sounds. Some U2ish, some electro, pop, ballad, etc. It really seems like they want this album to have a theme and flow, unlike HTDAAB, which had a theme, but the songs didn't really express it as well as AB or JT.

"Pride" was a crisp and direct moment on an album that was pretty murky and/or textural.

Back
Top Bottom