Speculation: Get On Your Boots vs Unknown Caller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Obvioulsy I(and you) have heard neither yet but if UC is their favorite or 2nd favorite song on the album(according to Edge), then why is it not the 1st single?

This probably means that GOYB probably won't be the best song on the album. Their first single usually never is. I hope it's a great song though.

UC will probably be a single by next summer.

Anyone think MOS will be a single? Probably only if it's edited to heck.

In my country Stairway to heaven still playing in the radio and habe about 8 min, so if mos have 8 min, i think the song can be a single.

In my country Stairway to heaven still playing in the radio and habe about 8 min, so if mos have 8 min, i think the song can be a single.

U2 has NEVER been an 8 MINUTE song kind of band. Look at the "COBL" single mix from the last album. They took like 2mins off of it. If they do release MOS as a single, they'll cut 2-3 mins EASILY. It will be called the "Stylez G. White Mix". "Teen Wolf" Fan Greg White Changes Name to "Stylez G" | NBC Washington

STYLES LIVES BABY!!!

I'd rather take Get On Your Boots (beach mix) than Unknown Caller (waves mix) as a first single... :)

But... they're so different kind of songs that is hard to say one is "better" than another...

Is your country named "Classic Rock"?

Yes.

class2mp2.jpg

U2 has NEVER been an 8 MINUTE song kind of band. Look at the "COBL" single mix from the last album. They took like 2mins off of it. If they do release MOS as a single, they'll cut 2-3 mins EASILY. It will be called the "Stylez G. White Mix". "Teen Wolf" Fan Greg White Changes Name to "Stylez G" | NBC Washington

STYLES LIVES BABY!!!

It's not like they haven't done it before. Lemon is almost 7 minutes on Zooropa however the video single is around 4.5 min.

Unknown Caller is better (as are Breathe and Only Love), but it's not an uptempo rocker, which apparently is the most important consideration in choosing the first single.

Unknown caller is now called Known caller .. they finally identified themselves

I wish there was some new info im going crazy here with frustration. Though these threads are really helping me, i can almost imagine what each song sounds like .. HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE ALBUM U2!!

Ive got a question, in a fight who would win? A pair of sexy boots or an unknown caller? (Yes i really am that bored :reject:)

Unknown Caller is better (as are Breathe and Only Love), but it's not an uptempo rocker, which apparently is the most important consideration in choosing the first single.

I would argue that every first single that U2 has ever released is NOT the best song on whatever album it came off of.

So I doubt this will be any different.

I would argue that every first single that U2 has ever released is NOT the best song on whatever album it came off of.

Wowy was at least one of the best songs on the JT or wasnt that the first single?

so, now we are comparing songs which have not been officially released yet and none of us have heard the completed versions of?

Seriously people, there is this place called "outside" I'm headed there in a little while, I suggest you join me...

so, now we are comparing songs which have not been officially released yet and none of us have heard the completed versions of?

Seriously people, there is this place called "outside" I'm headed there in a little while, I suggest you join me...

I don't "work" outside, unfortunately. Plus it's 28 degrees and sleet soxin' like cratesy!

I think BD is arguably the best song off of ATYCLB. Also, Pride is arguably the best song off of UF. I guess you could propose an argument for almost every first single though.

Judging by the clips I've heard so far, GOYB is my least favorite. But I don't particularly care that it's being released as the first single. In fact, I'd rather have one of the middling songs on the album get overplayed pre-album release than one of the better.

Edit: I do believe, however, that (if GOYB is indeed the first single) this is a pretty conservative choice for the band. I think a lot of fans are going to shrug and say "meh, not bad". But it's not going to blow anyone away-fan or public.

I think BD is arguably the best song off of ATYCLB. Also, Pride is arguably the best song off of UF. I guess you could propose an argument for almost every first single though.

Judging by the clips I've heard so far, GOYB is my least favorite. But I don't particularly care that it's being released as the first single. In fact, I'd rather have one of the middling songs on the album get overplayed pre-album release than one of the better.

Edit: I do believe, however, that (if GOYB is indeed the first single) this is a pretty conservative choice for the band. I think a lot of fans are going to shrug and say "meh, not bad". But it's not going to blow anyone away-fan or public.

How on earth can you even say that when you havent properly heard the song? :s

How on earth can you even say that when you havent properly heard the song? :s

Ahh, I knew someone would say that. I don't particularly want to get into the months-old debate about how much you can glean from the beach clips, but after dozens of listens my short answer is: quite a lot. I think the song is good and solid and it will please those looking for something rock-y and slightly experimental. But it isn't a classic, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has pored over these clips to say otherwise. Clips 1 and 4 could be classics.

Edit: I think it would be a much ballsier choice to release Unknown Caller or Only Love first. I think it's riskier to do so, but the pay-off could be enormous. I think GOYB is much less controversial--it's speed and slightly eastern sounding hook will keep it from getting thrashed critically...but it doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.

Edit 2: That said, I think it's going to fit into the album WONDERFULLY as an uptempo album track. I really do. And I like the song, and will probably like it much more after hearing a proper version.

Ahh, I knew someone would say that. I don't particularly want to get into the months-old debate about how much you can glean from the beach clips, but after dozens of listens my short answer is: quite a lot. I think the song is good and solid and it will please those looking for something rock-y and slightly experimental. But it isn't a classic, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has pored over these clips to say otherwise. Clips 1 and 4 could be classics.

Edit: I think it would be a much ballsier choice to release Unknown Caller or Only Love first. I think it's riskier to do so, but the pay-off could be enormous. I think GOYB is much less controversial--it's speed and slightly eastern sounding hook will keep it from getting thrashed critically...but it doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.

get outta here with your clips!

I bet the album doesn't even closely resemble your precious clips, titwillow.

Back
Top Bottom