Speculation: Bonus Track & ITUNES Exclusives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are people complaining about the bonus tracks after having pre-ordered from iTunes not knowing what the tracks were in the first place? Hello! Why "pre-order" anyway on iTunes? It's not like downloads are similar to physical CDs in that the store could run out of copies; there's no limit to the amount of downloads that can be sold. If the bonus track titles are a concern then wait until they iTunes posts the track names before you click "purchase"!

In fact, why do people buy from iTunes at all? If you're going to download and not buy the real full-quality CD, then get it album from Amazon's MP3 store - 256kbps, DRM-free, and only $3.99! A much better deal than iTunes.

Agreed about the price, but iTunes is DRM-free and 256kbps as well. Also, iTunes has the bonus track (NLOTH2) and digital booklet that Amazon is missing. Not sure if that makes up the difference, though.

what is on the second digital booklet ? one has lyrics and pics but my adobe reader will not open the second booklet ...says it was downloaded incorrectly ?

Why are people complaining about the bonus tracks after having pre-ordered from iTunes not knowing what the tracks were in the first place? Hello! Why "pre-order" anyway on iTunes? It's not like downloads are similar to physical CDs in that the store could run out of copies; there's no limit to the amount of downloads that can be sold. If the bonus track titles are a concern then wait until they iTunes posts the track names before you click "purchase"!

In fact, why do people buy from iTunes at all? If you're going to download and not buy the real full-quality CD, then get it album from Amazon's MP3 store - 256kbps, DRM-free, and only $3.99! A much better deal than iTunes.

Well we preordered it because it was a preorder exclusive track which we were interested in getting, which turned out to be the Boots Remix. If you buy the album now you don't get that track. I guess we hoped it was something better. And the other iTunes exclusive track they advertised turned out to be NLOTH2, hardly anything exclusive. That's why we're complaining hehe.

Regarding iTunes quality, iTunes is now 256 kbps DRM Free also, and the m4a format is of slightly higher quality than Amazon's 256 kbps mp3 due to better compression algorithms. However, the 3.99 price is a steal indeed.

what is on the second digital booklet ? one has lyrics and pics but my adobe reader will not open the second booklet ...says it was downloaded incorrectly ?

The second digital booklet is the book/magazine that comes with the physical deluxe editions. Contains pictures an interview with the band members.

In any other situation, I'd be making the same observation and posing the same challenge, but in this case, they listed a "Bonus Track (Pre-Order Only)" and a "Bonus Track (iTunes Exclusive)." We couldn't get the "Pre-Order Only" bonus track unless we "pre-ordered," and iTunes wouldn't tell us what it was. After the "pre-order" time frame had expired, it would no longer be available. iTunes WOULD NOT post the track names. We weren't concerned about them "running out" but about them only having the "Pre-Order Only" track available only during this limited time frame. And I do have the Super Duper Deluxe Box Set version on the way to me, with the DVD, book, action figures, and collectible Trabant candy bars, so I'm getting that anyway, but didn't want to miss out on these secret iTunes tracks in the event they turned out to be some cool outtakes or lost tracks from an Mtv Unplugged rehearsal that never happened, or a duet with Bono and Anne Murray; based on the lack of info iTunes was providing, the possibilities were endless...

~U2Alabama

You definitely need to "Report A Problem" to iTunes on that. The magazine (ant the secret tracks) is why you paid $17.99 instead of $9.99. Make sure they re-initiate that D/L to your account.

~U2Alabama

In any other situation, I'd be making the same observation and posing the same challenge, but in this case, they listed a "Bonus Track (Pre-Order Only)" and a "Bonus Track (iTunes Exclusive)." We couldn't get the "Pre-Order Only" bonus track unless we "pre-ordered," and iTunes wouldn't tell us what it was. After the "pre-order" time frame had expired, it would no longer be available. iTunes WOULD NOT post the track names. We weren't concerned about them "running out" but about them only having the "Pre-Order Only" track available only during this limited time frame. And I do have the Super Duper Deluxe Box Set version on the way to me, with the DVD, book, action figures, and collectible Trabant candy bars, so I'm getting that anyway, but didn't want to miss out on these secret iTunes tracks in the event they turned out to be some cool outtakes or lost tracks from an Mtv Unplugged rehearsal that never happened, or a duet with Bono and Anne Murray; based on the lack of info iTunes was providing, the possibilities were endless...

~U2Alabama

My bad. Didn't realize it was an extra bonus track only available if you pre-order. Though it was just the same bonus track that appears there now. I still say this is more evidence as to why iTunes sucks (though maybe the band made them do it this way) - withholding the track names to increase sales, then having it be just a lame remix.

NLOTH 2 and the GYOB remix. :| I just downloaded my pre-order and gotta say I hoped for better. With 50-60 song ideas, I think they could do so much more for bonus tracks. Let's hope their upcoming b-sides are better.

Maybe iTunes messed up in the confusion of when GOYB was first released, but my copy of Boots I downloaded when it first released is 128 kb and protected. :down: :lol: I thought this was well after they announced new DRM-free 256 music!

I tried to preorder the deluxe edition last night, and I kept getting error messages. I ended up just getting the regular one. It doesn't shock me that one of the bonus tracks is a remix people are saying is crappy, because by now I should know in advance that at least half of iTunes bonus songs are crappy remixes :wink:

I'm about to give the album a first listen :hyper:

the only positive thing i take from this is that the lack of b-sides only increases the chances that the band really does plan on releasing another album in the very near future.

Back
Top Bottom