Speculation: Bonus Track & ITUNES Exclusives - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #61
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Local Time: 11:16 PM
I think tripoli is the same as Fez-BB

and winter is "White as snow"

so I dont think it will be those 2... probably some remixes or maybe a fast-cars type of deal.
Now that we have the album we have something else to look forward to!!

zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Pretty sure the bonus track is NLOTH 2 , and the "exclusive iTunes" track will be Winter as it appears on the DVD "Linear" but not on the album itself.

not confirmed, but would make sense

U2NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #63
War Child

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Eh, on UK Itunes it's NLOTH 2 and GOYB "punk mix"....

Simple as that i'm afraid...
MrBTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
I think tripoli is the same as Fez-BB

and winter is "White as snow"

so I dont think it will be those 2... probably some remixes or maybe a fast-cars type of deal.
Now that we have the album we have something else to look forward to!!
It's been confirmed that Winter IS NOT White as Snow, and reported that Winter is one of the 3 extra songs on LINEAR.

I don't see any reason to connect Tripoli and Fez-Being Born except that they're both Arabian cities. That's not convincing.

3 extra songs on LINEAR and we know 3 song titles that almost made it onto the album: Winter, Tripoli, Every Breaking wave. Odds are good that these are the missing pieces.
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
Eh, on UK Itunes it's NLOTH 2 and GOYB "punk mix"....

Simple as that i'm afraid...
Disappointing, but almost certainly correct.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #66
War Child

Every Breaking Wave would be nice.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #67
Refugee

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
It's been confirmed that Winter IS NOT White as Snow, and reported that Winter is one of the 3 extra songs on LINEAR.
Hang on a sec...I think we have some speculation being treated as fact.

Someone said "Winter is in the film Linear". From what I've read, that's all facts we have.

It is very possible that Winter is in fact White as Snow. And that the person made the statement (or knew of the song) prior to it being renamed.

We also don't know for sure that we actually have 3 extra songs on Linear. More speculation being treated as fact. There is a (non-English) story stating the film has 14 songs. That's all we know.

There is no proof:
1) they are all U2 songs
2) they are all new songs
3) they are NLOTH songs and not merely 14 instrumentals unrelated to the album tracks
3) that NLOTH2 isn't one of the 14 tracks
4) that FEZ-Being Born aren't treated as 2 separate tracks in the 14 count
chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocky View Post
Hang on a sec...I think we have some speculation being treated as fact.

Someone said "Winter is in the film Linear". From what I've read, that's all facts we have.

It is very possible that Winter is in fact White as Snow. And that the person made the statement (or knew of the song) prior to it being renamed.

We also don't know for sure that we actually have 3 extra songs on Linear. More speculation being treated as fact. There is a (non-English) story stating the film has 14 songs. That's all we know.

There is no proof:
1) they are all U2 songs
2) they are all new songs
3) they are NLOTH songs and not merely 14 instrumentals unrelated to the album tracks
3) that NLOTH2 isn't one of the 14 tracks
4) that FEZ-Being Born aren't treated as 2 separate tracks in the 14 count
Proof? We won't have PROOF until we see the movie. But Winter and WAS had different lengths and the report that it was in LINEAR made it clear that it was the album PLUS Winter. Could they be mistaken? Anything could happen, but I don't see any reason to doubt this one.
The reports on LINEAR said it was the album plus Winter. They said it was 90 minutes and 14 songs. Yes, NLOTH 2 could be one of them. I'll even give you that it's possible that FEZ-BEING born get counted as 2 tracks. But this doesn't seem likely. Unless reports are incorrect we have:

14 songs
90 minutes
The album plus Winter

But it could turn out that its secretly an animate feature with music by Smashing Pumpkins... I don't have PROOF otherwise... But we have no reason to believe so.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
[B]...the Crookers remix would qualify as the iTunes exclusive track as this is not available elsewhere.
Ugh. I hope not. I listened to it and my ears started bleeding. Seriously.
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #70
Refugee

Quote:
But Winter and WAS had different lengths and the report that it was in LINEAR made it clear that it was the album PLUS Winter. Could they be mistaken? Anything could happen, but I don't see any reason to doubt this one.
I do agree, and we do not know more about it. On the other hand I would not count on the old theory of "Tripoli" being a different tune than "Fez-Being Born". Why?
1. The early reviews try to describe the working title track ''Tripoli" as a two-sided song, switching from ZOOROPA-stlye elements to arena-rock (what actually sounds a lot like the transitory "Fez-Being Born")
2. On "Tripoli" was commented, that it is the story of a journey by motorcycle (which you can actually hear at least twice for several seconds in "Being Born", a kind of Vespa-sound).
3. 'Tripoli' is a story, that is located around Cadiz (which is actually named in "Being Born").
4. The also metaphoric journey ends in Africa, where the fire is burning (while Bono sings in "Being Born" about the Atlantic Sea and even the African sun).
5. The character in 'Tripoli' is a borderline guy between Europe and Africa, an observer, a man with different roots, e reflective persona on his jorney (which is actually exactly the kind of character, that comes to your mind, when you hear, HOW Bono sings "Being Born").

My conclusion: The old "Tripoli" has a new title on the album and is called "Fez-being Born" now. An alternative to this theory is still possible though: There does exist an earlier version of the tune, which has still the title "Tripoli" and might sound a little different so.
But one thing I'd take for sure: "Tripoli" and "Fez-Being Born" are not completly different tracks. On the contrary, they are identical. Of course, this theory does not speak for a tune called "Tripoli" on 'Linear'.
ZOOTVTOURist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOTVTOURist View Post
I do agree, and we do not know more about it. On the other hand I would not count on the old theory of "Tripoli" being a different tune than "Fez-Being Born". Why?
1. The early reviews try to describe the working title track ''Tripoli" as a two-sided song, switching from ZOOROPA-stlye elements to arena-rock (what actually sounds a lot like the transitory "Fez-Being Born")
2. On "Tripoli" was commented, that it is the story of a journey by motorcycle (which you can actually hear at least twice for several seconds in "Being Born", a kind of Vespa-sound).
3. 'Tripoli' is a story, that is located around Cadiz (which is actually named in "Being Born").
4. The also metaphoric journey ends in Africa, where the fire is burning (while Bono sings in "Being Born" about the Atlantic Sea and even the African sun).
5. The character in 'Tripoli' is a borderline guy between Europe and Africa, an observer, a man with different roots, e reflective persona on his jorney (which is actually exactly the kind of character, that comes to your mind, when you hear, HOW Bono sings "Being Born").

My conclusion: The old "Tripoli" has a new title on the album and is called "Fez-being Born" now. An alternative to this theory is still possible though: There does exist an earlier version of the tune, which has still the title "Tripoli" and might sound a little different so.
But one thing I'd take for sure: "Tripoli" and "Fez-Being Born" are not completly different tracks. On the contrary, they are identical. Of course, this theory does not speak for a tune called "Tripoli" on 'Linear'.
That all makes sense! I guess we'll know for sure soon enough. Maybe we'll get Winter, Every Breaking Wave, the album, plus NLOTH 2? I'd be okay with that.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Wasn't Tripoli the guy's name? I swear that's what I read...
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:16 PM
The lyrical similarities between Fez and Tripoli don't prove shit, because the original concept of the album had recurring characters. So it's certainly possible for both songs to have similar imagery.

Also, we know from that long article/interview that the working title of Fez was Chromium Chords. If the Rolling Stone and Q articles already had it listed as Tripoli, wouldn't the writer have known about that alternate title?
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #74
Refugee

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
It's been confirmed that Winter IS NOT White as Snow
Quote:
Proof? We won't have PROOF until we see the movie.
chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Wasn't Tripoli the guy's name? I swear that's what I read...
Yes, It's the French cop Bono sings about in NLOTH.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Are you suggesting that that's a contradiction? It's not, you know....
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:16 AM
It's not gonna be Tripoli, Tripoli = Fez/Being Born.

Check the Fez/Being Born Appreciation thread, page 5, for detailed arguments on why I must be correct.

I want the ambient No Line On The Horizon, or Every Breaking Wave.
God Part III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The lyrical similarities between Fez and Tripoli don't prove shit, because the original concept of the album had recurring characters. So it's certainly possible for both songs to have similar imagery.

Also, we know from that long article/interview that the working title of Fez was Chromium Chords. If the Rolling Stone and Q articles already had it listed as Tripoli, wouldn't the writer have known about that alternate title?
Can't the song from a record that has being recorded for two years have plenty of working titles? Especially a song that features different sections?

About the similar imagery, possible, but the descriptions given by RS follow almost the exact same pattern as Being Born; motorcycle, Cadiz, African sun.

If Being Born is not Tripoli, it could be that Bono used some "Tripoli" lyrics on it, which is something he had done before (Levitate/Miracle Drug, for example).
djerdap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Really the only and best argument in favor or Tripoli NOT being FEZ-BB at this point is that Tripoli existed in a "finished" form as recently as December. It was played for journalists. It was nearly on the album.... Maybe it was just a title change? I don't know. I guess we will in a week or two though...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #80
Babyface

Local Time: 11:16 PM
NLOTH Bonus track

Hi people!

what song do you think that will be the bonus track of the album?

mercy?

any ideas?

alvarinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonus tracks, itunes, itunes exclusive, nloth, no line on the horizon