Speculation: Bonus Track & ITUNES Exclusives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's hilarious that half the posts in this thread are bagging on iTunes for including a crappy remix as a bonus track and the other half are requests for said crappy remix.

If you want it, go here and buy it.

LOL. thanks. i will actually buy this just because I'm a completist.

Why You'll Buy-Not Download-U2's "No Line On The Horizon" | Technomix | Fast Company

3323072230_ec018b00fd.jpg

nice pix of the box :up:

Apparently "Get On Your Boots (What Your iPod Will Sound Like If You Run It Through the Washer and Then Try to Play It Remix)" was too long.

The fact that Amazon is presently selling the basic NLOTH for $3.99, makes my $17.99 purchase at itunes even more of a monumental miscalculation/ripoff.

I think it's hilarious that half the posts in this thread are bagging on iTunes for including a crappy remix as a bonus track and the other half are requests for said crappy remix.

If you want it, go here and buy it.

Thanx Danny Boy, I did so ...:wave:

Look, here's the reality. iTunes hasn't ruined the band's credibility, any more than George Lucas raped our childhoods. Buying the regular album or the deluxe album on iTunes is a pretty solid deal already. I bought the regular iTunes album for 9.99. I used six dollars from a remaining iTunes gift card (which I presume more than a few of us did). Total out of pocket: $3.99. That's pretty ridiculously good for 11 tunes. Bonuses are just that: bonuses. I already had the NLOTH 2 track because someone on this board shared it (it's not available in the US except via import, so it does indeed qualify as a bonus track), and since I hadn't paid for it, I was happy to. And the Crookers remix stinks, but it's also a true exclusive, since it's not available in the US store either. (And, many of us would argue, with good reason.) Sure, it was annoying that the US iTunes store didn't put up the tracks until the last minute, but all you had to do was spend about three minutes on this board to realize that the bonus tracks were going to be some combination of NLOTH 2, the Fez video, or the Crookers remix. Don't like it? It's very simple: DON'T BUY IT. Pay more for the regular album, and then do what you were going to do anyway -- come on here, say that your iTunes library was "mysteriously wiped", and ask for a few rare tracks you don't have. But not buying it, and then going and posting in the iTunes store about how lame it is, and blah blah blah, only underlines your colossal (and lame) feelings of entitlement.

Geez.

I bought mine with a gift card left over from Christmas, so it didn't cost me a thing. I'll get around to getting a CD at some point, but this will hold me over. I expected NLOH v. 2 for one of the bonus tracks and was pretty sure the other would be a remix of Boots, so I'm not shocked. It would've been nice to know ahead of time what the bonus tracks were, but it was kind of nice to have a bit of a surprise this morning, too. Anyone complaining about buyer's remorse obviously doesn't buy from iTunes too much--their bonus tracks aren't usually anything to brag about, but it's not like you paid extra for them.

so what happened to GYOB (punk mix)?

I saw it listed and now i can't find it anywhere

Last edited:
:yes:

I still feel that the people who pre-ordered got screwed here. If not new tracks, then something that was more than a remix and alternate version. :doh:

i do agree. i'm glad i was lucky enough to see this coming. i cancelled my pre-order on Sunday. but for those that paid $17.99, i do feel that they have a legitimate beef with ITunes. the least they could have done was tell you at least a week in advance which songs you were getting.

Free bonus are...well...bonuses. That's all. Did anyone really expect some hidden U2 masterpieces?

and i'm not sure that anyone was really expecting much, but my big problem is more with Itunes, that they felt the need to hide what the bonus tracks they were giving to save Pre-order sales.

Nowhere did it say "free;" I took it as part of the value consideration over the standard version, along with Linear ($17.99 vs. $9.99). That being said, every other time there has been some type of bonus tracks, it has been revealed what those are, at least for most bands I listen too. That's all that any of us would have asked for, just a disclosure as to what thoe 2 bonus tracks are. Who could that possibly harm?

~U2Alabama

Nowhere did it say "free;" I took it as part of the value consideration over the standard version, along with Linear ($17.99 vs. $9.99). That being said, every other time there has been some type of bonus tracks, it has been revealed what those are, at least for most bands I listen too. That's all that any of us would have asked for, just a disclosure as to what thoe 2 bonus tracks are. Who could that possibly harm?

~U2Alabama

exactly. at least U2 wins in my case. i cancelled my preorder and instead i'm buying the boxset. i would call this an emotional purchase.

but really, if anyone has a case, it's you. an ITunes employee misinformed you about what songs you were getting. hopefully you'll get some kind of credit or a couple of free downloads as a result of this.

~U2Alabama

I never would have downloaded the album if I knew the bonus tracks would just be lesser versions of what was already on the album. I had already pre-ordered the CD. It's just amazing that they didn't know the bonus tracks until less than an hour before the album's release. I admit I took the bait and lost, but I can't help feeling kind of screwed. I did email them several times (including yesterday) asking what the bonus tracks were. I was told at one point possibly "Love You Like Mad" might be one. But I received no response yesterday. Ironically, my CD came from Amazon today. I felt a little stupid. In the end, it's only 10 bucks, but you should be able to know what the songs are on the album you are purchasing. I emailed Itunes today just to vent a bit. They have always been fair with their customer service to me, but this pre-order was pretty lame IMO.

I'm glad to say that iTunes remedied the situation for me; in fact, after I sent a complaint e-mail, it was Nicole who responded to me again and took care of the situation for me. I expressed my appreciation but also re-emphasized the deceptive nature of the Bonus Track listing. This restored my overall image of iTunes and more specifically my confidence in customer service. I actually commend her for doing some extra research on the tracks since she wasn't able to find the track names internally. I don't fault her for telling me the wrong tracks, but I do criticize iTunes for hiding the identity of the tracks from everyone, including their customers and their customer service staff.

~U2Alabama

I'm glad to say that iTunes remedied the situation for me; in fact, after I sent a complaint e-mail, it was Nicole who responded to me again and took care of the situation for me. I expressed my appreciation but also re-emphasized the deceptive nature of the Bonus Track listing. This restored my overall image of iTunes and more specifically my confidence in customer service. I actually commend her for doing some extra research on the tracks since she wasn't able to find the track names internally. I don't fault her for telling me the wrong tracks, but I do criticize iTunes for hiding the identity of the tracks from everyone, including their customers and their customer service staff.

~U2Alabama
:up:

well I had a problem last night dowloading one of the digital booklets with the deluxe edition and reported the problem to itunes late last night , today I get a response email stating to login and it will download automatically , well it starts to download and says that is 45.1 mb so I wait about 15 min and it keeps downloading past the 45.1 mb up to 64.9 mb and will not stop ...nor can I open it . :mad:

Back
Top Bottom