Sound Quality of leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rock888nwo

War Child
Quick question (and mods feel free to move this somewhere else if you need to)...what is the quality of this leak...is it true that there are two versions out there....256 and 320....you see, the problem I have is that I want my first listen to be at the highest sound quality possible....should I wait for physical release....is there any appreciable difference between 320 and physical cd?

Any mp3 at or above 256 will sound pretty much imperceptibly different from a 320 rip or a CD. The version of NLOTH that I got is at 256 and sounds great, but when the CD comes out I'll rip it at 320, as that's what I like to do. :wink:

It is probably just a transcode of the 256 kbps version, as there has been no other known leak

i actually have both downloaded...all of the tracks on the 320 version are 4 seconds shorter than the 256 leaked version....my itunes says the 320 tracks are encoded with mp3 to wave converter plus???

Almost everything I read (and hear) leads me to believe 99% of people will be unable to distinguish 256k mp3 from a CD - especially with the lower quality equipment most people use. Hell, 128k probably sounds better on poor headphones/speakers as they mask the imperfections!

I encode all of my CDs with LAME 3.98 (alt-preset-fast-extreme (V0) which has a target VBR bitrate of around 240k) and I cannot tell the difference for most discs through several pairs of high quality headphones and speakers.

Having said that, if the rip is poor it won't matter how high you encode or transcode it. Since the 256k version is direct from Universal (correct?) it should be a good one.

Of course, I haven't listened to the leak as I am still trying to resist :sad:

Do the 320 tracks sound any better?

i havent listened....im hoping to hold out for physical release...i just downloaded them in case i lose my willpower....but after reading the comments above, i deleted the 320 files as each song was 4 seconds shorter

haha i MIGHT have read a post wrong in this thread but are people seriously going and re-encoding 256kbs MP3s to 320 and expecting them to improve? :lol:

haha i MIGHT have read a post wrong in this thread but are people seriously going and re-encoding 256kbs MP3s to 320 and expecting them to improve? :lol:

Yeh, that would make a lot of sense lol. Whenever you reencode a format into a lossy format....YOU LOSE DATA!!!!!!!

I got it at 320 kbps.

Back
Top Bottom