Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
New thread, baby

Rumours

Songs of Surrender - November 2022. Old songs, new spin
Songs of _________ - March 2023, new songs
Jim Sheridan biopic music - later 2023/24
Tour - summer 2023

I wonder if Bruce rolls his eyes every time Bono starts with America is an idea
A highly underrated part of the rock and roll 25th anniversary show was when Bruce cut Bono's rambling speech off before I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

https://youtu.be/Va3RpW0lQ5E

I was there behind the stage. We could see the speech was on the teleprompter. It went on... and on...

After a decent break I just listened to SOE. I still firmly believe if you removed GOOYOW and American Soul it is a fantastic album.

LIAWHL, LOH, SOL, RFD, Landlady, Blackout, LIBTAIIW, Book of Your Heart and of course Little Things. It’s actually really good.

I think this running order really works

1 - LIAWHL
2 - LOH
3 - TBT
4 - Landlady
5 - The Blackout
6 - SOL
7 - RFD
8 - Book of Your Heart
9 - Love is Bigger
10 - Ordinary Love
11 - Little Things
12 - There is a Light

Last edited:
Songs of Surrender predictions - some likely, some unlikely

- album will be a mix of stripped back acoustic renditions and more radical reinterpretations (different arrangements, keys, etc). All changes will serve idea the band has that these are solid songs, at their core
- first single will be Out of Control, acoustic
- all albums up to and including NLOTH will be represented, 1 song from each

My best guess tracklist:
Out of Control
Tomorrow
Drowning Man
A Sort of Homecoming
Still Haven't Found
All I Want Is You
So Cruel
The Wanderer
Your Blue Room
Staring at the Sun
When I Look at the World
All Because of You
Moment of Surrender

Songs of Surrender predictions - some likely, some unlikely

- album will be a mix of stripped back acoustic renditions and more radical reinterpretations (different arrangements, keys, etc). All changes will serve idea the band has that these are solid songs, at their core
- first single will be Out of Control, acoustic
- all albums up to and including NLOTH will be represented, 1 song from each

My best guess tracklist:
Out of Control
Tomorrow
Drowning Man
A Sort of Homecoming
Still Haven't Found
All I Want Is You
So Cruel
The Wanderer
Your Blue Room
Staring at the Sun
When I Look at the World
All Because of You
Moment of Surrender

I think this track list is a good prediction (especially Moment of Surrender, which they apparently rehearsed acoustically for the I&E tour, and Bono said recently it should've been the lead single on NLOTH) :up:

Only thing I'd swap out is 'All I Want Is You' for 'With or Without You', because they played the latter acoustically at the Ukraine show, they rarely play WOWY acoustically , and something about the performance gave me the impression it was a little more thought through than just 'pick up an acoustic guitar and play whatever'. Struck me as one they might be considering for SoS.

Only thing I'd swap out is 'All I Want Is You' for 'With or Without You', because they played the latter acoustically at the Ukraine show, they rarely play WOWY acoustically , and something about the performance gave me the impression it was a little more thought through than just 'pick up an acoustic guitar and play whatever'. Struck me as one they might be considering for SoS.

good point. :up: You could include Walk On too by that logic, though I listed WILATW because Bono recently made a point of citing that one in talking about songs of theirs that are under the radar

good point. :up: You could include Walk On too by that logic, though I listed WILATW because Bono recently made a point of citing that one in talking about songs of theirs that are under the radar

I personally really hope they do WILATW, it's a solid track and it has one of my favourite solos by the Edge (though sadly that's probably the one thing guaranteed to be cut from an acoustic version :lol: )

featuring smash hits like:
I Still Haven't Found the Real Killer I'm Looking For
Who's Gonna Ride Your White Bronco?
The Miracle (of Johnny Cochran)
Judge Lance Ito Okashi

Yes! And don't forget "One Free Kill"

I heard they completely redid the lyrics for Ordinary Love, centered around the OJ trial and they changed the title to "Ordinary Glove".

featuring smash hits like:
I Still Haven't Found the Real Killer I'm Looking For
Who's Gonna Ride Your White Bronco?
The Miracle (of Johnny Cochran)
Judge Lance Ito Okashi

Glove is Smaller Than Either of My Client’s Hands

Back
Top Bottom