Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best thing is only so poorly thought of because it was the first single. If it was an album track, most people would think it was harmless and fun. I am more partial to the Sci-Fi soul mix though - a bit less shiny and plastic.

Adam is recovering from COVID in Dublin, and took calls for an hour. He confirmed that they have recordings that will be coming out between now and the new year but few details beyond that. Said they are looking forward to getting out on tour again when it happens.

Snippet from U2 songs on Twitter,Adam was on U2 radio X.

And he was wonderful! I heard part of it. We can discuss the small details all we want, I'm as guilty as anyone, but these are 4 of the most thoughtful, genuine, HUMAN people in the business. Period.

They truly love what they do and anyone who doesn't think they're still inspired isn't following the same band I am! I will never understand the idea popular with some here that they're somehow in reverse mode or going over old territory again. Quite the opposite. They're artists in the true sense of the word. This is what they do. If they're feeling different interpretations of older work and would like to present it in a fresh way, I'm all ears. Happily.

They really didn't nail the Fly until Vertigo (then it got better, IMO, on 360 and E&I). I think Wild Horses on E&I closing set 1 is the ultimate version of that song. As someone else mentioned earlier, the 2018 version of New Year's Day is quite good. How about the end of Exit on JT 30? I realize these examples are live, but I for one am excited to see that same energy brought to studio.

Overall, I just don't see what's wrong with leaning into the fact that they have one of the best back catalogs in history!! They're in their 60s! They don't mail in ANY show and if their only goal was to look back to the past as so many here accuse them of, they could've done half assed back catalog tours and remasters ONLY for literally 20 years by now!

Instead, they're always working on new projects. Maybe not on the timeline we'd like, but that's them, not us or anyone else. Maybe this stuff for the most part doesn't stand up to the classics. So what. There's still plenty of flashes of brilliance.

They have been working non-stop since 2013, on new material and innovative tours. Even this Surrender will be accompanied by what looks to be a very promising autobiography and followed up very quickly by an album of all new material.

WHAT MORE do people realistically want from them this last decade??!!

An aside, I just haven't been listening to much U2 for a while (no reason really) and the songs I heard on XM today were:

Sometimes
A Sort of Homecoming (live)
In God's Country
Acrobat
Discotheque

I got chills up my spine listening to every single one of them. Yes, very much including Sometimes!

Critical is fine. However, we don't step back and appreciate just how damn good this band is! And how lucky we are to still have them around- never mind at this level!

And he was wonderful! I heard part of it. We can discuss the small details all we want, I'm as guilty as anyone, but these are 4 of the most thoughtful, genuine, HUMAN people in the business. Period.

They truly love what they do and anyone who doesn't think they're still inspired isn't following the same band I am! I will never understand the idea popular with some here that they're somehow in reverse mode or going over old territory again. Quite the opposite. They're artists in the true sense of the word. This is what they do. If they're feeling different interpretations of older work and would like to present it in a fresh way, I'm all ears. Happily.

They really didn't nail the Fly until Vertigo (then it got better, IMO, on 360 and E&I). I think Wild Horses on E&I closing set 1 is the ultimate version of that song. As someone else mentioned earlier, the 2018 version of New Year's Day is quite good. How about the end of Exit on JT 30? I realize these examples are live, but I for one am excited to see that same energy brought to studio.

Overall, I just don't see what's wrong with leaning into the fact that they have one of the best back catalogs in history!! They're in their 60s! They don't mail in ANY show and if their only goal was to look back to the past as so many here accuse them of, they could've done half assed back catalog tours and remasters ONLY for literally 20 years by now!

Instead, they're always working on new projects. Maybe not on the timeline we'd like, but that's them, not us or anyone else. Maybe this stuff for the most part doesn't stand up to the classics. So what. There's still plenty of flashes of brilliance.

They have been working non-stop since 2013, on new material and innovative tours. Even this Surrender will be accompanied by what looks to be a very promising autobiography and followed up very quickly by an album of all new material.

WHAT MORE do people realistically want from them this last decade??!!

An aside, I just haven't been listening to much U2 for a while (no reason really) and the songs I heard on XM today were:

Sometimes

A Sort of Homecoming (live)

In God's Country

Acrobat

Discotheque

I got chills up my spine listening to every single one of them. Yes, very much including Sometimes!

Critical is fine. However, we don't step back and appreciate just how damn good this band is! And how lucky we are to still have them around- never mind at this level!

Preach to the masses :).

Best thing is only so poorly thought of because it was the first single. If it was an album track, most people would think it was harmless and fun. I am more partial to the Sci-Fi soul mix though - a bit less shiny and plastic.

The sci fi mix is pretty good and I wouldn't have been upset by its presence on SOE. The regular version definitely seemed worse because it wad the first single, but it's still one of their worst songs imo.

"a true masterpiece" lmao

Thanks for laughing but I’m not a comedian. We, on a fan website of one band, shouldn’t act like words on it are facts in a book needing to be ‘disagreed’ with or reacted to, it’s just how I view the work in relation to their other works post 2000. Production and lyrically/musically it’s one of their very best, and I don’t dilute myself into thinking this if objective fact nor care about anybody else who thinks otherwise. This is life…try not to drive yourself crazy while we only have one of them..

On the subject of what's next Adam said:

,“There are some recordings that we’ve done which will surface at some point between now and the new year, and then after that it’s our intention to get back in the studio with a new album. We’re ready to go.”

Interesting to hear that his favourite song to play live is Bullet and from recent stuff, "The Crystal Ballroom".

“Intention to get back in the studio with a new album, we’re ready to go”. Cautiously optimistic there. Knowing them they’ll get back in the studio to finish it, trash a bunch of tracks, and push it out to 2024.

Yeah I'm a bit confused by that wording. U2songs is quite reliable and is reporting plans to release an album in march, with a tour in June. I don't think they'd have such detailed info as the specific months and plan to tour if it wasn't a fairly set plan at this point.

But if SoS comes out in November, and they do promo for it, and then they're going back into the studio... That doesn't strike me as a lot of time to finish and release a new album, especially considering timings for lead single, announcement, promos etc that would presumably need to happen ahead of march. But maybe 4 months is enough, especially considering the next album is reportedly largely complete :shrug:

Yeah I'm a bit confused by that wording. U2songs is quite reliable and is reporting plans to release an album in march, with a tour in June. I don't think they'd have such detailed info as the specific months and plan to tour if it wasn't a fairly set plan at this point.

But if SoS comes out in November, and they do promo for it, and then they're going back into the studio... That doesn't strike me as a lot of time to finish and release a new album, especially considering timings for lead single, announcement, promos etc that would presumably need to happen ahead of march. But maybe 4 months is enough, especially considering the next album is reportedly largely complete :shrug:

I took Adam’s words to be more about expectation setting / being cagey about unannounced plans rather than being a literal description of their future work activities. He’s always quite measured about these things.

The Crystal Ballroom is so fucking good. Just one song from SOI swapped with that and it would have been bulletproof IMO.

“Intention to get back in the studio with a new album, we’re ready to go”. Cautiously optimistic there. Knowing them they’ll get back in the studio to finish it, trash a bunch of tracks, and push it out to 2024.

You forgot the part where they bring in "ringer" producers and musicians to slick up a few songs in hopes of radio airplay.

The Crystal Ballroom is so fucking good. Just one song from SOI swapped with that and it would have been bulletproof IMO.

Swap it for SFS, use the better mix of EBW and eliminate the "Santa Barbara" intro to California (There is no End to The Buffet), and the thing is fantastic.

Swap it for SFS, use the better mix of EBW and eliminate the "Santa Barbara" intro to California (There is no End to The Buffet), and the thing is fantastic.

yep, that would be the one i would swap. But I think the intro to Cali is pretty cool. homage to the Beach Boys.

Its weird hearing him say how much he enjoys playing it given it was a bonus track and hardly played live - I'd have been asking to play it every night! I think its a great track.

Based on what he said, its hard to say what state the new album is in. The pessimist in-me thinks there's no way we're getting anything in the first half of next year, but let's be optimistic!

I actually dig the Beach Boys nod and wish the music bed didn’t start right away behind the harmonies.

Last edited:
Its weird hearing him say how much he enjoys playing it given it was a bonus track and hardly played live - I'd have been asking to play it every night! I think its a great track.

Yeah, it's been played live a grand total of 2 times. (I saw one of them and it was damn good). He must really have enjoyed those 2 performances.

yep, that would be the one i would swap. But I think the intro to Cali is pretty cool. homage to the Beach Boys.

You need to add Invisible for The Miracle as well.

I wouldn't swap, but maybe just add Invisible and Crystal Ballroom. SOI is still an absolute joy to listen to, and when I spin it, I add Invisible as Track 1 and Crystal Ballroom as the very last track.

I wouldn't swap, but maybe just add Invisible and Crystal Ballroom. SOI is still an absolute joy to listen to, and when I spin it, I add Invisible as Track 1 and Crystal Ballroom as the very last track.

Nah, Song For Someone must be eliminated at all costs. :wink:

You need to add Invisible for The Miracle as well.

I think Miracle works quite well as a regular album cut and not the lead single or first song on the album. The Crystal Ballroom actually would make a really cool first song on the tracklist with the cool woooooooooooo ooooooo ooooooo opening.

The Troubles is hands down the best choice for the closer, so i wouldn't mess with that

On the subject of what's next Adam said:

Interesting to hear that his favourite song to play live is Bullet and from recent stuff, "The Crystal Ballroom".

Bullet doesn’t surprise me. That bass line is killer.

My SOI is:

Crystal Ballroom
EBW
Cali
Miracle
Volcano
Iris
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood
Reach
Sleep Like a Baby
Troubles

I've tried for years to force myself to like Invisible. I just can't do it. It's in the range of Get Out for me.

My SOI is:

Crystal Ballroom
EBW
Cali
Miracle
Volcano
Iris
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood
Reach
Sleep Like a Baby
Troubles

Same, but I'd swap Miracle for Invisible and drop Cali.

On SOE I'd drop:

The Best Thing
American Soul
Get Out
The Showman
Lights of Home

And add:

Book of Your Heart
Lights of Home (St Peter's mix)

Same, but I'd swap Miracle for Invisible and drop Cali.

On SOE I'd drop:

The Best Thing
American Soul
Get Out
The Showman
Lights of Home

And add:

Book of Your Heart
Lights of Home (St Peter's mix)

Your SOE is very close to mine. All the same changes except I keep Best Thing. St. Peter's mix transitions and fits SO much better. No idea why they didn't use it.

Back
Top Bottom