Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m really hoping we get some sort of definitive news soon. The longer it drags the more likely a delay is, because we are eating into useful promo time.

Oh yeah, definitely prepare yourself for 2023 for any music.

I still feel like their absolute peak was 1993. Zoo TV their greatest accomplishment.

But obviously would have loved those Lovetown shows. All the recordings I’ve heard over the years have been a band on fire.

Undoubtedly.... The Zoo TV period was a band at the absolute peak of their powers.

Which is kind of incredible given just how big they were during The Joshua Tree era - to have two albums widely regarded as being amongst the best ever.

Just FYI, the U2songs rumours page was updated again today.

SoS was changed from 'early 2023' to 'late 2022/early 2023'.

Next album of new material changed from 'late 2023' to just '2023', and that 'the date appears to be in flux'.

Tour reported as of now as back half of 2023.

There's also this:
https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings...u2-fans-read-this-website-heres-some-u2-news/

Which reports album 2023, coming before a tour in late 2023/into 2024.

(I'd presume a new album is more likely than not to come before a tour, and if the tour kicks off in 2023, then the album would come earlier in the year?)

Sounds like things may potentially have become slightly more optimistic?

They can’t tour northern US stadiums past Sept/Oct and the routing has to be locked down soon I think?

It’s all very odd and fluid, and I’d expect U2songs will do an article soon explaining what they know. I still think this fluidity is quite typical of the vinyl delay issues plaguing literally every artist right now.

I don't think anything is odd. Nothing has been announced, and all the last update said was that they might delay it but might still release the digital version in the fall.

So sounds pretty spot on. Seems like they gave consideration to delaying it because of supply chain issues but are still hedging on whether or not to just release the digital album when the book is released. Which, ya know, makes sense.

re: Alan Cross - he's had very good scoops in the past. He's also stolen rumors literally from within these very forums. So he's, shall we say, unreliable.

re: stadiums in the back half... it's doable. 360 played through the fall and that was a very complex stage setup. If you will recall a certain church going former member tried to go around telling everyone that the MetLife Stadium gig was going to be canceled because they were going to run out of time after a Jets game.

If it's a normal stadium set up, closer to JT30 than 360, there's no issues with playing around the NFL schedule.

I was honestly thinking more about weather than football because I am old: 2009 leg of 360 didn’t go past Sept in the northern US and while they finished out in Canada in Oct, it was in a domed stadium.

Back
Top Bottom