Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I think they will end up doing something of a digital release even if the vinyl isn’t available. My point in this thread has been that it is easy to underestimate the financial side of vinyl to bands like u2. Streaming is geared towards much younger artists in different genres. It’s worth very little to a band like u2. Physical sales profits for vinyl have surpassed other formats, even if units sold haven’t quite yet. I’m not saying they won’t do a digital release if they can’t supply vinyl on release day, but I am fairly certain it would cause a bit of thinking and planning of alternative approaches.

The four release idea came from last years rumour about a series of release events, and the thought that doing that still provides some degree of newness/motivation to buy the vinyl on day one for people who want it. They know they will still sell discs if it’s late, but they want a number one album, and physical sales is their ticket. Splitting the release relies on preorders getting them over the line, and a good chunk of people will wait to get it in stores. I know I will, because vinyl people often like to support independent stores rather than online giants.

Last edited:
No, they still have an established older fan base that will power first week sales. Springsteen is a similar artist and usually hits #1, and just two years ago AC/DC earned another top charter with Power Up.

And with Tedder still around they are obviously hoping for #1

A number one for the new album would make them the first artist ever to have number 1 albums of new material across 5 different decades.

5c0de9455fdfc2c7c5ae83cf9e943be2b0dc760b.gifv

The band who at the push of a button unleashed SOI to peoples phones back in 2014 should have no issue releasing an album digitally to streaming services in the fall with a physical release to come later.

The band who at the push of a button unleashed SOI to peoples phones back in 2014 should have no issue releasing an album digitally to streaming services in the fall with a physical release to come later.

That band got how many million dollars direct from apple to drop it in half a billion apple accounts? It’s not the same thing.

That band got how many million dollars direct from apple to drop it in half a billion apple accounts? It’s not the same thing.

Guy got ‘em paid on SOI and got ‘em a 4th #1 on SOE. What’s next? I don’t think they’d do the level of schedule that would take back the touring spot from Sheeran so, for shits and giggles, let’s say it’s that elusive 5th decade #1 record…

I thiiiiiink a 4 disc set of SOS would count as 4x sales (as long as each the total package adds up to 100 minutes or more), which could be an easier path to #1 if they hold for a physical release.

Repeat of ticket bundling for the new album could work, too, if the stadium schedule/sales are robust enough.

It’s the type of gimmicky bullshit that Garth Brooks loves to engage in but I could see it being a stupid point of focus for at least two people involved.

Top 10 potential reasons for the delay:

1. To stay relevant with the younger demographic, a large portion of Bono's upcoming book will be rewritten in "meme" form.

2. They are having a difficult time selecting appropriate images for an upcoming NFT fan club gift.

3. They have a number of variant chase options for Bono's upcoming Funko collectable to choose from (Bono in an arm cast, Fly Bono with and without glasses, Bono at the beach...)

4. Rich songwriting vain/lost in the music

5. Edge really went to Mars as part of a SpaceX stunt

6. The band is rewriting both albums to reflect revelations made by the Jan 6 Committee/want to see how the midterms turn out

7. Bono is cowriting a book of St. Patrick themed poetry with Nancy Pelosi.

8. Larry wasn't onboard

9. Bono needs to learn his lines for Sing 3

10. Waiting for the 2023 Apple WWDC to release it to everyone's iPhones

Last edited:
2. They are having a difficult time selecting appropriate images for an upcoming NFT fan club gift.

:applaud:

That would certainly explain the fact I've seen a picture of what I assumed was the cover of the current fan club gift. Maybe I missed the small print and that picture is the current fan club gift.

Decided to throw on the Lovetown NYE Point Depot show today and realized I’d really like some U2 soon…

“Forget about the past, we’re gonna celebrate the future” -32.5 years ago

Decided to throw on the Lovetown NYE Point Depot show today and realized I’d really like some U2 soon…

“Forget about the past, we’re gonna celebrate the future” -32.5 years ago
That quote is kind of funny in today's context as we sit a mull over the delay of an album that is the reinterpretation of old songs from their catalog.

My guess is that in 1989 they probably couldn’t have imagined themselves still playing in 2022.

Those are really great shows, tho.

In 1989 they were all in their late 20s and at the height of their powers. Imagine being on that rocket ship from 1980 to 1989.

I still feel like their absolute peak was 1993. Zoo TV their greatest accomplishment.

But obviously would have loved those Lovetown shows. All the recordings I’ve heard over the years have been a band on fire.

I’m really hoping we get some sort of definitive news soon. The longer it drags the more likely a delay is, because we are eating into useful promo time.

Back
Top Bottom