Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah good point - so it’s possible that production delays are to blame? While music was done in 2021, artwork and liner notes etc probs only recent due to book tie in, which means production may have only recently begun, or is about to and they are projecting delays? Still, the “late 2023” stuff on the new album is a concern.

Possibly. I’d say conversations right now would be about whether to hold the lot due to production delays, or release the 15 song version being slated as a book tie in, with the full 40 coming as a future thing.

Given vinyl delays well publicised, it’s worth noting that a 40 song set (with no doubt some hectic booklet/artwork etc) that would probs be across 5 discs. Std albums have a large production delay due to sourcing materials, so that would be a fairly sizeable issue for a set that big and a production run as big as U2 would be asking for.

I’d also say new album delay makes sense if they don’t want to cannibalise physical sales by having a 5 disc bundle of legacy material released next to a new album. Late 2023 concerns me though, but is this based on actual planning, or interpretation of a rumour because of delays?

No reason for it not to if it’s done unless they can’t fathom a digital-first release… 8 years after doing one.

"Help me Tim Cook...you're my only hope."

screen-shot-2021-06-12-at-123542-pm.png

LOL, this band. We should've known that two albums within a six-month span was far too good to be true, even if one of the albums was "reimagined" songs.

I think a silver lining here is that, of all the reasons to delay the album(s), practical issues with delivering physical copies is one of the better ones, as annoying as it is.

It would certainly beat delaying the music to overwork, overthink, and call in a million extra producers.

I may not be a huge fan of Ryan Tedder's work with U2, but i was looking forward to hearing an album that they actually managed to complete in a small amount of time without reworking it. Maybe we'll still get that if the issue here is only with production issues.

The Kennedy Center special will air in December, and that's a great opportunity to re-engage with some casual fans. It would be a waste if there wasn't something new (like a re-imagined greatest hits collection- even in digital form) for them to seek out afterwards.

The next subscriber gift should be titled “Production Issues”

I think we are all making a leap here about it being "production issues" I would put money that either the remixes of Streets didn't please them, or they wanted to mess around more with SOS... OR they went back to redo a bunch of the new material.

The vinyl issue isn't anything new, and I would think that the label would have put that into the equation for release dates long ago. If not, then yeah, shit show over there.

I think we are all making a leap here about it being "production issues" I would put money that either the remixes of Streets didn't please them, or they wanted to mess around more with SOS... OR they went back to redo a bunch of the new material.

The vinyl issue isn't anything new, and I would think that the label would have put that into the equation for release dates long ago. If not, then yeah, shit show over there.

It ain’t production issues

It’s what has plagued them since the Pop album.

They cannot stop overthinking things. I’m sure It’s easy to do if you listen to remixes 5000000x a day and eventually hear one little thing you don’t like, or you can’t stop tinkering trying to find one different mix that will surely make the song a hit.

It’s a bit maddening when the last two years have given them ample opportunity to sort this stuff out.

While they aren’t a band in their 20s/30s ready for tear up the world, their “experience” should lead to wiser decisions. Instead it seems they repeat themselves over and over.

2024: "U2 removed their new album off of my iPhone to rework it!"

2030: "Weren't they that band that stole their album off of everyone's phones?"

Nobody here is surprised, but it will be interesting to see exactly how this all pans out and what the delay could be.

Songs of Surrender is all locked-in. The book must be finished. Vinyl delays have been a thing for years now and the bigger bands have got a reasonable bit of influence where this is concerned - not to mention that this project seems to have been planned for a while alongside the book?

It did seem like a lot happening in a short space of time going from the book and album to a new album - if they are proud of what they've done here, they don't just want it to become a sideshow for the book, so should get some time to be promoted appropriately.

Did any of us really, genuinely think a new album was done so quickly off the back of the re-imagined songs? I wanted it to be true, but they never seem to be able to work on more than one thing at once to the point of completion.

U2 is scared to loose money by overthinking releasepaths. Instead of just releasing things they keep waiting and waiting followed by an anti-climax that results in mass criticism and lower sales. That monster of that Sing2-single is the biggest disappointment yet to me. And with the knowledge Tedder is still in the house I'm fed up with this band. There is many more excitement in the musicbusiness than u2. They could've done a lot better the last years by releasing rare material. And now the push back of new music...pffff...

Does this album become a real album if it isn't released to coincide with the book, or will it still be not-a-real-album-and-therefore-it-doesn't-matter-if-it's-a-dumb-idea?

Back
Top Bottom