Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ehhhh... i don't know if that's what the data says.

i think the data shows that their fan base is for the most part old, fat and well to do, and they will plan the tour accordingly.

and before anyone says otherwise... I KNOW... not everybody is old, fat and well to do. it's an average demo of the customer. lay off.

i think the data shows that their fan base is for the most part old, fat and well to do, and they will plan the tour accordingly.

and before anyone says otherwise... I KNOW... not everybody is old, fat and well to do. it's an average demo of the customer. lay off.

Member login tied to membership renewal history should be the fucking minimum they can scrape from their stupid website.

If U2.com has a place I can enter my age and weight, they damn well better include a hairline/bald spot picker.

rap-creosote.gif

Re-up now and get a complimentary after-dinner mint!

I’m feeling Friday for an announcement and single. Seems the right amount of time for remixes to be made and selected, and just over three months to go which is pretty standard these days.

I’m feeling Friday for an announcement and single. Seems the right amount of time for remixes to be made and selected, and just over three months to go which is pretty standard these days.

I hope so, but don't think so.

Of course I’d love that but is August considered a bad time for an announcement, single, promotion? August is a weird lull here in the states. Dog days of summer, last minute vacations. I think early September would be better.

Noooooo...way too early and we'll see if this album actually comes out.

Yeah this isn't happening for a while. The public's attention span isn't long enough to care about a new version of an old U2 song 3 months before an album comes out.

I mean, Beyoncé just released an album last week, so timing can’t be that bad. A lot of those points raised are probably less relevant in 2022 than they were in 2005, there’s less to compete with if others aren’t releasing much, streets remix could be hoped to be a “sound of summer”, and these days, for album sales, there would be zero difference between announcing now or September.

I’m going off U2songs here and saying if they thought an announcement was in the coming weeks a month ago, then it is probably (though not guaranteed) soon.

They could also separate the single from the album announcement. If I recall correctly, 'You're the Best Thing About me ' was released with a description of 'A Song of Experience', but the actual album announcement came a few weeks later with the release of 'Get Out of your Own Way' and 'Blackout'.

So maybe they'll release 'Streets' soon as a summer single (with remixes etc), but save the actual SoS announcement for Septemberish?

(Like Dan, I'm basing this on U2Songs' rumour about an imminent announcement)

I mean, Beyoncé just released an album last week, so timing can’t be that bad. A lot of those points raised are probably less relevant in 2022 than they were in 2005, there’s less to compete with if others aren’t releasing much, streets remix could be hoped to be a “sound of summer”, and these days, for album sales, there would be zero difference between announcing now or September.

I’m going off U2songs here and saying if they thought an announcement was in the coming weeks a month ago, then it is probably (though not guaranteed) soon.

A “sound of summer” I think is too late. The NFL is already in motion with training camp, fantasy football promotion, back to school commercials etc.

That’s a full album release. Not promo for something 3 months out. Beyoncé commands a lot more attention than U2, as does a full album vs a single, especially one that’s just a remake of an older song.

Yeah, I just saw Halloween decorations at two stores today. My kid started school today as well. Summer is sorta done.
Also, I don't think we should be comparing Beyonce with U2 when it comes to releases, especially not "new" material. I think that they definitely could release one song in August and then another in October to lead up to the release. I mean most bands are releasing nearly half their album, song by song about six months out these days.

Also, While I would love to see U2 in my neck of the woods. I kinda hope if they're doing stadiums that they are smart and do a more limited large city run to avoid any Popmart type situations. NY, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, LA, Boston, Miami, maybe Seattle, etc..
there were some odd venues during Popmart. Eugene, Memphis, Clemson, 3 freaking FL dates including Jacksonville??? (Me thinks they thought they were gonna be cool with the college kids)
They've got to be smarter and more targeted. I think a limited stadium run, at least in the States, paired with the Vegas thing is the way they should go.

Last edited:
Maybe the whole songs of Surrender thing is a red herring and they're actually releasing a new album in November

Double album in the works or has that idea been discredited?

Either way I’m excited. We won’t get too many of these new album/tour cycles so I’ll savor every moment of it.

Yeah, I just saw Halloween decorations at two stores today. My kid started school today as well. Summer is sorta done.
Also, I don't think we should be comparing Beyonce with U2 when it comes to releases, especially not "new" material. I think that they definitely could release one song in August and then another in October to lead up to the release. I mean most bands are releasing nearly half their album, song by song about six months out these days.

Also, While I would love to see U2 in my neck of the woods. I kinda hope if they're doing stadiums that they are smart and do a more limited large city run to avoid any Popmart type situations. NY, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, LA, Boston, Miami, maybe Seattle, etc..
there were some odd venues during Popmart. Eugene, Memphis, Clemson, 3 freaking FL dates including Jacksonville??? (Me thinks they thought they were gonna be cool with the college kids)
They've got to be smarter and more targeted. I think a limited stadium run, at least in the States, paired with the Vegas thing is the way they should go.

I don't think there's much chance of them repeating the (many) blunders of Popmart at this stage of their life, they're nowhere near the scale of that at this rate. But what you said is dead on correct- less is more. Drive up demand, drive up quality. My plan would be a focused arena tour, 2-3 nights in major cities, here and Europe. If demand is bonkers, maybe you do a limited run AB live legacy tour that feeds into more large-scale shows. I'm not saying the venues need to be as small as Van Morrison does now, but a solid arena tour of 35-40 US/North America dates in focused cities (like 20-25) is probably a good start. In my mind, I'm imagining a slightly condensed version of what the Stones did with A Bigger Bang.

My list, notionally: LA x3, NYx3, Chicago x2, SF x2, Portland, Denver, Dallas x2, Toronto x2, Vancouver, Seattle, DC x2, Boston x2, Philly, Atlanta x2, Miami x2, Tampa, Nashville, Vegas x2, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Montreal, Charlotte, Detroit.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much chance of them repeating the (many) blunders of Popmart at this stage of their life, they're nowhere near the scale of that at this rate. But what you said is dead on correct- less is more. Drive up demand, drive up quality. My plan would be a focused arena tour, 2-3 nights in major cities, here and Europe. If demand is bonkers, maybe you do a limited run AB live legacy tour that feeds into more large-scale shows. I'm not saying the venues need to be as small as Van Morrison does now, but a solid arena tour of 35-40 US/North America dates in focused cities (like 20-25) is probably a good start. In my mind, I'm imagining a slightly condensed version if what the Stones did with A Bigger Bang.

My list, notionally: LA x3, NYx3, Chicago x2, SF x2, Portland, Denver, Dallas x2, Toronto x2, Vancouver, Seattle, DC x2, Boston x2, Philly, Atlanta x2, Miami x2, Tampa, Nashville, Vegas x2, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Montreal, Charlotte, Detroit.

In retrospect, the mixed venue approach would’ve been perfect on the Vertigo tour but they had no way to predict how bonkers demand was going to be. And satiating that demand in stadiums might’ve somewhat impacted the 360 sales.

I imagine they’re going to stick to single nights in stadiums in the major markets - possibly fewer total markets than JT30 - with maybe one extra date in the top 3-5 cities. Vegas gets no stadium dates bc they’ve got a commitment there and don’t want to cannibalize sales. Not sure what dimension DC, Miami & Atlanta get two nights in but it ain’t this one.

It will be interesting to see. Sounds like the only info we have so far is that stadiums have been booked in 2 or 3 cities. I'd be all over the mixed stadium/arena plan.

Would it look a bit... timid for one of the biggest live rock bands in the world to go with that approach? It could, but I also think I am in an old mindset. I don't think it matters quite as much anymore. Many more artists are touring much more frequently now just for financial reasons, and I don't think the band needs to be locked into a stadium-only tour just for prideful reasons. Heck Springsteen is doing arenas in the US.

I digress. This would probably be the best we could hope for as fans. They could stop in medium markets like Minneapolis, Portland, Columbus, Nashville, Detroit, Atlanta, Tampa, St. Louis, etc... giving more people easier access to see them.

Would it look a bit... timid for one of the biggest live rock bands in the world to go with that approach? It could, but I also think I am in an old mindset.

Timid? Nah. Their last two new album tours were *exclusively* arenas. They went deep on some smaller markets on E+I. But…

“They’re lazy” rule says they’ll stick with a singular approach since they’ve also got this Vegas thing to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom