Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if they're going to drop something from all that you can't leave behind i'd prefer it be stuck, but i get the feeling that they're going to want to roll that one out there for all the clay callway fans in attendance.

and you absolutely know that whenever the next tour is, at some point, some kid in a sing 2 t-shirt is going to be pulled up on stage

Or a Clay Calloway mask. I'll take that over Aung Sun Suu Kyi masks any day. In fact, that's the only time in my life I've been an anti-masker.

Did I just sign into a thread where everyone is agreeing that Vertigo is a better song than Beautiful Day?

The fuck is this?

if they're going to drop something from all that you can't leave behind i'd prefer it be stuck, but i get the feeling that they're going to want to roll that one out there for all the clay callway fans in attendance.

and you absolutely know that whenever the next tour is, at some point, some kid in a sing 2 t-shirt is going to be pulled up on stage

Stuck hasn’t been an every-show song since its inception and it’s more of a singalong moment than BD ever was, but full band or GTFO.

::eek:rders an adults large Sing 2 tee::

End of encore:

“This is something we’ve never played before, and we know there are a lot of people who have been waiting for a while to hear us do it. Thank you, god bless you, you’ve given us a great life. This is…Your Song Saved My Life.”

End of encore:

“This is something we’ve never played before, and we know there are a lot of people who have been waiting for a while to hear us do it. Thank you, god bless you, you’ve given us a great life. This is…Your Song Saved My Life.”

aka Walk Out

I wouldn't swap, but maybe just add Invisible and Crystal Ballroom. SOI is still an absolute joy to listen to, and when I spin it, I add Invisible as Track 1 and Crystal Ballroom as the very last track.

I really like Invisible, but the recorded version seems to lack "punch" which I put down to the production. I think that's true of a few songs from that period.

I really like Invisible, but the recorded version seems to lack "punch" which I put down to the production. I think that's true of a few songs from that period.

Yeah, I agree. I think if it were... "rockier" I would enjoy it more.

I think in a way its how I feel about Iris and Cedarwood. There are some fantastic full on rock parts that are incredible, but the verse sections just kinda die. Especially Cedarwood.

SOI has much better guitar parts than SOE, and even NOLTH

But nothing really that memorable for a long time from Edge. Back in the day the biggest anticipation of a U2 album or a one off song was Edge. What kind of riff would he come up with, both as the main chorus like UTEOTW, Vertigo, etc or as a wonderful rhythm like UV

Now it feels like he prefers the scratch (Vertigo has this too but the main riff is enough to carry) or nothing at all.

TIWYCRMN has great backing guitars opening up to the chorus and those big bouncey notes.

Please come back Edge

Red Flag Day has some similar post-punk stuff going on, but admittedly he was mostly absent on SOE (and aided by random no-name guitarists).

Red Flag Day has some similar post-punk stuff going on, but admittedly he was mostly absent on SOE (and aided by random no-name guitarists).

RFD and Volcano were the kind of throwback they could use more of

RFD and Volcano were the kind of throwback they could use more of

This is what kind of annoys me about U2 fans like my brother, that have been fans for decades, got me into them at age 10. He's loves War and Boy, and really likes Zooropa and POP, but now has totally left the U2 fold with SOI and SOE. But I think there are quite a few songs on those albums that have total Boy/War vibes, and I think a song like Sleep like a Baby would fit snuggly on either Zooropa or POP.

Part of me thinks it's his stupid new anti-vaccine girlfriend. My bet is he brought her to the show and didn't like the Trump/pro women's rights/anti-police brutality stuff... and this has messed with his thinking.

Completely disagree. Went back and listened to SOI and SOE lately, first time in a long time. For me, only song on those two worse than American Soul is Volcano. Nothing memorable or exciting, complete throwaway. In my alternate SOI tracklist, it's the only one I get rid of.

Last edited:
Well for one it's fun, and not filled with a bunch of Hallmark platitudes or cringe portmanteaus like Refujesus.

And I'd say Adam is pretty memorable on ir.

It was great live too. Randomly got it at the show I went to and it made me like the song much more.

Back
Top Bottom