Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/ada...-un-nouveau-chapitre-de-son-histoire-20211201

thinking back to this interview where Adam said the hope was a new album and tour is 2023.
And now thinking of recent comments where they're again talking 2023 tour

they're not touring without new material, and I don't think they're talking tour timelines without some confidence in that new material coming out in advance, lest we have another Popmart fiasco

So, when would they have recorded it?
- rumors of recordings earlier this year, as suggested by u2songs in Jan
- rumors of recording in London, last year
- rumors of recording in 2019 on the heels of the JT tour

Some of this presumably was for SoS. Doesnt leave room for much else, does it? certainly not the marathon recording sessions of the last few albums. Does this lend credence to this quote from our buddy Ryan Tedder in 2019?

"I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it’s their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it’s like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?"

Maybe they held to their commitment of a different approach?

I dont think many here are thrilled by the prospect of Tedder-fied tunes, but it does seem like that's what we're getting.

Incidently, here's an article from 2019 that talks about Tedder's studio. With mention of U2 recently recording.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/ryan-tedder-la-studio

Last edited:
https://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/ada...-un-nouveau-chapitre-de-son-histoire-20211201

thinking back to this interview where Adam said the hope was a new album and tour is 2023.
And now thinking of recent comments where they're again talking 2023 tour

they're not touring without new material, and I don't think they're talking tour timelines without some confidence in that new material coming out in advance, lest we have another Popmart fiasco

So, when would they have recorded it?
- rumors of recordings earlier this year, as suggested by u2songs in Jan
- rumors of recording in London, last year
- rumors of recording in 2019 on the heels of the JT tour

Some of this presumably was for SoS. Doesnt leave room for much else, does it? certainly not the marathon recording sessions of the last few albums. Does this lend credence to this quote from our buddy Ryan Tedder in 2019?

"I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it’s their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it’s like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?"

Maybe they held to their commitment of a different approach?

I dont think many here are thrilled by the prospect of Tedder-fied tunes, but it does seem like that's what we're getting.

Incidently, here's an article from 2019 that talks about Tedder's studio. With mention of U2 recently recording.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/ryan-tedder-la-studio

Good spot! I'd straight up dismissed that quote from Ryan Tedder, because the idea of them successfully achieving something different, quick or sparse just seemed so unlikely. Like, I could imagine them going in with that intention, only to inevitably fall back on the process of the last few albums where they record, re-think, and re-record for years with multiple producers (which to be fair absolutely might still happen).

But as of now, given limited time due to covid, it seems like they really have pulled an album together very quickly by their standards. Which for sure could mean Tedder has been involved.

Having said that, there were also rumours of the band working with Bob Ezrin, and I believe we only know about that because Alice Cooper casually mentioned it. It's possible there are other producers who have worked with or even replaced Ryan Tedder, and we just don't know because the pandemic made it harder for information to leak.

But if Ryan Tedder is indeed producing the next album, I'm with Headache. That blows.

:lol: at the Tedder comments. I'm less than enthused too

what would a stripped back Tedder production sound like? I dont think it means stripped back production-wise.. everything he does still sounds slick. I'm guessing he just meant stripped back instrumentation

:lol: at the Tedder comments. I'm less than enthused too

what would a stripped back Tedder production sound like? I dont think it means stripped back production-wise.. everything he does still sounds slick. I'm guessing he just meant stripped back instrumentation

From the quote you posted:

"you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?""

So yeah, I agree it would probably be quite a simple, bold sound. Just guitar, bass + drums, and not many other layers beyond the occasional synth? That would line up with the 'straight up rock' sound Bono has said he wants on the next album, and what U2songs is reporting will be the sound. Bono also said he wanted to capture on the next record the sound of the band playing on the 'E' stage, which I think might have been relatively stripped down.

Maybe an extension of the kind of sound in Red Flag Day?

thank you for coming out. thank you for spending your hard earned on a rock show. you've given a couple of punk rockers a great life. thanks for sticking around. these songs are very personal to us. we put everything into it.

anyway here's song for no one

:lol:

Trent Reznor producing?

If I had to make one record out of the two

1) Raised By Wolves
2) California
3) Red Flag Day
4) Book Of Your Heart
5) Iris
6) Landlady
7) This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
8) Cedarwood Road
9) Song For Someone
10) Love is Bigger Than Anything In It’s Way

The Best Thing was an awful choice for the lead single. I remember when radio premiered it the DJs basically were like well, that’s that. Similar to Boots.

That was definitely the reaction of the Dj's, but I think overall, it did better and made a little more of an impression than Boots. Boots was just....... bad! Especially on the heels of BD and Vertigo when they still had a chance at burning up the charts with the much-anticipated new material.

I literally never heard Boots after that first week or so on the radio followed by the cringe Grammy performance. I don't count the 360 shows I attended as I obviously sought them out.

Best Thing still shows up in coffee shop, restaurant and supermarket playlists. It always sounds better than I remembered it, and I liked it when I first heard it.

Top tier U2? Not even close. But it, along with Love is Bigger, made a decent splash by U2 post 2010 standards.

That was definitely the reaction of the Dj's, but I think overall, it did better and made a little more of an impression than Boots. Boots was just....... bad! Especially on the heels of BD and Vertigo when they still had a chance at burning up the charts with the much-anticipated new material.

I literally never heard Boots after that first week or so on the radio followed by the cringe Grammy performance. I don't count the 360 shows I attended as I obviously sought them out.

Best Thing still shows up in coffee shop, restaurant and supermarket playlists. It always sounds better than I remembered it, and I liked it when I first heard it.

Top tier U2? Not even close. But it, along with Love is Bigger, made a decent splash by U2 post 2010 standards.

One of the stranger things I heard once was "Crazy Tonight" being played at a sports bar in the year 2018. Almost 9 years after that horrible song came out, it somehow made a playlist for a pretty happening, high volume bar.

One of the stranger things I heard once was "Crazy Tonight" being played at a sports bar in the year 2018. Almost 9 years after that horrible song came out, it somehow made a playlist for a pretty happening, high volume bar.

That was me

I remember being on here reading about the early impressions of Boots. Someone knew someone who heard it in a room full of executives (music industry) and it didn't sound promising. The song sounded different but for the wrong reasons. So much overproduction...

Should've just released NLOTH or Magenficent as the lead single....

Best Thing got more play than any U2 song since POP when I was living in Florida at the time, which is not a U2 hotbed by any means. The Adult Alt station played it a few times a day for 2-3 months.

Best Thing got more play than any U2 song since POP when I was living in Florida at the time, which is not a U2 hotbed by any means. The Adult Alt station played it a few times a day for 2-3 months.

i'm going to go out on a really sturdy limb and say that this is not true considering the two early 2000s albums. vertigo was literally everywhere.

If memory serves I think 92.3 K-Rock played Vertigo 3 times in a row at one point when it first came out. That song was huge.

Total digression, but speaking of U2 songs that were everywhere for a hot minute...

I experienced an awkward phenomenon where my friends who moaned about Beautiful Day being so annoying and awful turning around and praising Vertigo when it came out.

I get that they're two completely different songs in style, but I've never seen two lead singles on back-to-back albums from any band be so polarizing from one to the next.

Kinda can’t stand Beautiful Day anymore, there’s so much canned shit in the live version that I wish they’d rest it for a tour or three. Nothing wrong with a crowd pleaser but that puppy ain’t rested for 20 years. If they can skip Streets for an entire tour…

Vertigo >>> Beautiful Day, which is pleasant but sounds like it was written and recorded by an A.I. trying to emulate U2. Vertigo actually has some energy and looseness that makes for great rock and roll.

pleasant but sounds like it was written and recorded by an A.I. trying to emulate U2.

flatten;crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

if they're going to drop something from all that you can't leave behind i'd prefer it be stuck, but i get the feeling that they're going to want to roll that one out there for all the clay callway fans in attendance.

and you absolutely know that whenever the next tour is, at some point, some kid in a sing 2 t-shirt is going to be pulled up on stage

Back
Top Bottom