Songs of Surrender - Discussion, reviews, impressions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^^

Add to my list of wishes:

Magnificent - Probably would have been better than the original without the NBA Jam synths.

Heartland - I heard that there was supposed to be a new version anyway.

Hawkmoon 269 - Because it's great.

When I Look At The World - See Hawkmoon

Both Please and Heartland would be on my wish-list for a project like this if they weren't already both perfectly intimate versions

If you only enjoy things because others like it, then you're doing it wrong. Reviews are interesting... they are best and worst when trying to find NEW stuff like TV shows to watch.

But if it's your favorite band, they could put out 10 records of just farts and I'd buy it.

I don't give a fuck if Indiana Jones 5 gets 0 or 100 on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm already seeing it

I think they have a little bit of a pickle on this record.

If the song isn't reimagined enough, it's like... what's the point? - ie. SFS
If it's reimagined too much, then people can be critical of the changes - ie. Streets

So, even though there are some positive for me, I was overall disspointed with Songs Of Surrender.

Before anyone jumps at me for having a 'negative take', I want to just remind all that this is only my opinion, it won't hurt you, and differing opinions make the world more interesting anyway. I would also like to disclose that it's not all doom and gloom, there are certainly some positives here.

So my main issue? It just boils down to me being one of those people that wanted the full band sound, as opposed to a minimalist acoustic project. I mean, the acoustic versions are pleasant enough, and a nice enough listen. But it wasn't what I was looking for. But it's the direction U2 wanted to go in, which is fair enough. But for me, I wanted all 4 members, full drum kit etc. Most of the album just sounds like Bono and The Edge only...

Some thoughts on some of the songs:

Electrical Storm - Most of this feels like what I mentioned as above, too stripped down and quiet for my liking, but towards the end of the song the full band suddenly comes in and then it sounds great. That is what I was looking for most, and I wish the entire album was like that...

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - This is my favourite ever U2 song probably. This version, while a very pleasant listen, is just an acoustic. I wish they did more with it. However, as far as the minimalist acoustic versions go, this is one of the better ones for me, but then again that could be bias for loving the actual song so much. I love the additional 'ride on' lyric at the end. But yeah, it's still nothing on the amazing temple bar versions or album version for me. Will never replace those, but a cool companion to them.

Red Hill Mining Town - This is BY FAR the best on the entire album for me. Already an excellent song, this version is just as good as the original, also it is full-band and really stands out from the rest of the album which mostly isn't full-band.

If God Will Send His Angels - After hearing the snippet I was worried about this one, but after hearing the full thing, it works very well indeed. It is one of the best ones here, in my top 3, after Mining Town and on level with Horses. I am very relieved that they kept the main groovy riff. And I love the high piano notes throughout, which were included on the Pop album version but not the single version, but as synths. Glad they're included again.

Two Hearts Beat As One - Another track that seems to be closer to a full-band feel, with more energy than the rest. The verses are great. The chorus I'm not sure does it for me, but kudos to them for trying and putting a little more energy into this one than most of the rest.

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - This is one of the few that is better than the original. But that's not hard to beat because I really disliked the original. This version works so much better.

Miracle Drug - And on the flip side, this is one that I hate. But I love the original. Kudos to them for trying something different here, but to me it sounds like an experiment gone wrong. Ironic when Miracle Drug is one of U2's finest songs for me. Oh well.

Vertigo - Was an interesting one, and lends itself well to the new style. As does The Fly.

Invisible - I quite liked. Still prefer the original, but I'm glad we have this version too.

And the singles - Pride, WOWY, BD, and One.... well, Pride is pretty good I felt, and by far my favourite of the singles as it has a bit of life towards the end. The other 3 though, just feel so bland and lifeless to me...

I think I'll stop there because 40 songs is a lot to process. But those are some of my initial thoughts. Just wondering where New Year's Day is though...

Last edited:
thanks for sharing.

nobody is jumped on for disliking the album.

people are jumped on for saying silly things like "oh, they're trying to be like ed sheeran"

Fair enough. Not sure I'd say I dislike the album, more a case of just underwhelmed by it. Like I said, most of it feels like a Bono and The Edge project more than a U2 project, but I guess I can still find pleasure chilling out to some of these versions from time to time.

In terms of songs I kinda wanted to hear alternate versions of were Mofo; based on Bono's comments in a recent interview, being more of a Led Zeppelin-esque track. And One Tree Hill; but with the lyrics being completely about Greg Carroll, without the Víctor Jara part which always felt shoehorned in.

Last edited:
So did they address why the songs Bono picked in his book don't line up with the 40 songs on the U2 album or it's just another -- we thought of this after he wrote the book and we are just making this shit up as we go?

Or when they claim they didn't have time to finish some songs and that's why they changed the lyrics, even though some of those songs are new ones when all they had was time.

They always crack me up trying to explain themselves because the results work out -- so why not just say -- we did this. Why? Why not.

So did they address why the songs Bono picked in his book don't line up with the 40 songs on the U2 album or it's just another -- we thought of this after he wrote the book and we are just making this shit up as we go?

Or when they claim they didn't have time to finish some songs and that's why they changed the lyrics, even though some of those songs are new ones when all they had was time.

They always crack me up trying to explain themselves because the results work out -- so why not just say -- we did this. Why? Why not.
Edge did in some interview. There's been so many of them lately I forget which one.

Dear god, the new Get Out could be the worst thing they've ever recorded on a released commercial record. No, not maybe. It is. What a fucking mess.

Cleansing my ears with The Fly. Carry on.

Got the vinyl box set in the mail today, mercifully unscathed! It’s a nice package — nothing too crazy but near to have the whole thing. While I don’t love every song and have only maybe done 2-3 full listens, it’s a great “mood” record for a chill afternoon/to have on in the background for a few hours. That might sound like a knock but it really isn’t.

The songs that are really sticking with me right now are Bad, Horses (I actually like the straight up acoustic version, and Invisible. Wow, Invisible is a truly underrated song and I think they captured the essence of it beautifully on the album.

Got the vinyl box set in the mail today, mercifully unscathed! It’s a nice package — nothing too crazy but near to have the whole thing. While I don’t love every song and have only maybe done 2-3 full listens, it’s a great “mood” record for a chill afternoon/to have on in the background for a few hours. That might sound like a knock but it really isn’t.

The songs that are really sticking with me right now are Bad, Horses (I actually like the straight up acoustic version, and Invisible. Wow, Invisible is a truly underrated song and I think they captured the essence of it beautifully on the album.

Agreed on your favorites. Invisible is a great transformation for me as well. And I can’t believe I’ve been humming Miracle All day. Lol.

Also after not being so sure on Steeets it has really shot up my list.

Dear god, the new Get Out could be the worst thing they've ever recorded on a released commercial record. No, not maybe. It is. What a fucking mess.

Cleansing my ears with The Fly. Carry on.
LOL I liked it more than the original, actually, because at least it's not just a boring Beautiful Day rewrite anymore and Bono sings its clunkiest lyrics in a more carefree delivery. Still not a good song, but it's better.

The second disc was stronger than the first because of the song choices. Some of these are no brainers (WGRYWH, Stuck, Oridnary Love) and they all went over fine. RHMT showed what this album could have been if they were a little more ambitious with the arrangements. Bono sounded really good on Dirty Day and I wish they would make that one a regular on tour.

On the negative side, I don't like the new chorus of Joey Ramone at all and in general the new arrangement sounds the theme song to a PBS Kids show. Invisible loses a lot without its driving beat. Sometimes' bridge is a non starter and it was probably my favorite part of the original.

Gonna listen to the third disc in the morning.

LOL I liked it more than the original, actually, because at least it's not just a boring Beautiful Day rewrite anymore and Bono sings its clunkiest lyrics in a more carefree delivery. Still not a good song, but it's better.

The second disc was stronger than the first because of the song choices. Some of these are no brainers (WGRYWH, Stuck, Oridnary Love) and they all went over fine. RHMT showed what this album could have been if they were a little more ambitious with the arrangements. Bono sounded really good on Dirty Day and I wish they would make that one a regular on tour.

On the negative side, I don't like the new chorus of Joey Ramone at all and in general the new arrangement sounds the theme song to a PBS Kids show. Invisible loses a lot without its driving beat. Sometimes' bridge is a non starter and it was probably my favorite part of the original.

Gonna listen to the third disc in the morning.

This is my conundrum with Miracle! I really do like the verse section. Very easy breezy guitar, great vocal cadence in there. The chorus seems... a bit much. And it's ok to me, but the verse is what really stands out. That chorus is an earworm though. gah.

I love Dirty Day so much. Stay falls in with this as well. To me they are like a POP esque version of these songs. You have to wait to disc 4 for Stay. :)

For me, Disc one is an embarrassment of riches. Streets, Stories for Boys, 11 O'clock, Out of Control, BD, Bad, EBW. I mean, Edge produced this thing so IMO he took a large chunk of the best material.

Very interesting to see what people here and on reddit have latched onto that I just haven't. I don't particularly care for Bad, Miracle, RHMT, but really have gravitated to SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, and Streets.

Disc 3 was interesting. Vertigo and The Fly were fairly ambitious and worked out for the most part. I really liked the acoustic solo in The Fly. Electrical Storm, UTEOTW and AIWIY fell into the category of "didn't undergo many changes but are so good in general that it didn't matter." I liked hearing Edge get the mic on Peace on Earth.

Still Haven't Found was in one ear and out the other; I've heard that song so many times and done so much better that I didn't need it here. Song for Someone is always boring to me, I'll probably never get into that one. IGWSHA was pleasant but I really started to feel how long that song is by the time this version of it wrapped up.

I don't even know what to say about Desire. Musically, the arrangement kind of works but the choice to do the whole thing in falsetto was...not great. Really grating and it's particularly annoying because there's a lot of good in there otherwise.

Had my second listen of IGWSHA this morning and it's not growing on me. I'm missing what everyone else is hearing, I think. It's too stripped down, loses the lush atmosphere that the original had, and Bono doing awkward/cringe through half of it. It went from an end of the world plea for sanity/order to something you stand up and sing in church. No thanks.

Same with the Miracle. Was hoping that new chorus would start to stick, but it's still pretty lousy in my view. Love the feel of the verses, but that chorus is a sore thumb.

Just goes to show how terrible music is and has been for the past 20 years. Dismal.

It has more to do with the [die hard]fan base than anything else. U2 has a fan base that still likes/uses/appreciates physical albums more than most other artists on the charts. So naturally, they will sell more copies the opening week. Add to that the number of different versions and I'm not even talking about the deluxe/box versions but the "colors". I have emails from U2 about a green cassette, purple Vinyl and a blue Vinyl. There are likely die hard fans that have purchased 5 different versions.

With all that said, if we are judging "relevance" by sales....well the sales are legit but don't speak to relevance. I would guess they aren't making a dent in streaming platforms charts and would be surprised if they don't fall out of the top 50 in the UK and US by next week. If they manage to stay in the top 10, then maybe there is some relevance but I would be very surprised.

It has more to do with the [die hard]fan base than anything else. U2 has a fan base that still likes/uses/appreciates physical albums more than most other artists on the charts. So naturally, they will sell more copies the opening week. Add to that the number of different versions and I'm not even talking about the deluxe/box versions but the "colors". I have emails from U2 about a green cassette, purple Vinyl and a blue Vinyl. There are likely die hard fans that have purchased 5 different versions.

AKA the olds

With all that said, if we are judging "relevance" by sales....well the sales are legit but don't speak to relevance.

I was just being cheeky.

AKA the olds

I was just being cheeky.

To be fair, even when they(all artists do it) play that game of giving an album away for a concert ticket sale and it counts towards album sales...it's legit. If they hit top 5 or even top 10 it is an accomplishment.

I'm not sure if I fall into the "olds" category but I do love having a physical copy of the album. Although I draw the line at cassettes...where the heck would I even play one of those? There are still a lot of cars that have CD players but cassette players?? I haven't seen one in a long time.

I know they are more likely "collectibles" but do people collect cassettes....is that a thing?

Imagine how easy life could be if you just said "Oh that's cool, one of my favorite bands growing up just gave me different versions of 40 different songs, including some deep cuts, and the instrumentation sounds great. What a nice bonus gift."

That person could be you.

Back
Top Bottom