Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the next round of tour dates can be centered around the band touring Songs of Surrender in small theaters?

Terry Lawless is headed to Dublin soon, as per his Facebook page. Make of it what you will.

Quick aside, I e-mailed Terry a little over a year ago to ask if he had any insight on specific synths used on MOFO (before his time with the band, but I thought he might have the scoop). I wasn't expecting a reply, but got one! He politely declined to give up any info, as he is under strict confidentiality, but it was still very cool to hear from him.

Quick aside, I e-mailed Terry a little over a year ago to ask if he had any insight on specific synths used on MOFO (before his time with the band, but I thought he might have the scoop). I wasn't expecting a reply, but got one! He politely declined to give up any info, as he is under strict confidentiality, but it was still very cool to hear from him.
Yea he's surprisingly accessible and quite friendly towards fans.

2029 it is!

Tho it’s not like the band made any official release statement. It’s all been the rumor mill

I still don’t think we see this album. Isn’t 2023 supposed to be a new U2 album and potential tour ? Can’t see them risking lower sale numbers on new material competing with an album of old songs

2029 it is!

Tho it’s not like the band made any official release statement. It’s all been the rumor mill

I still don’t think we see this album. Isn’t 2023 supposed to be a new U2 album and potential tour ? Can’t see them risking lower sale numbers on new material competing with an album of old songs
They released a JT 30 set the same year as SOE. This would be pretty similar. When you do the maths on sales numbers of new releases it’s a very insignificant part of the u2 business model anyway. Touring is where the money’s at. The latest rumours point more towards the next tour being in 2024 with vegas being the only shows in 2023 so not really a tour, more book tour shows look like being on the way though. Songs of surrender likely out very early 2023 and the new album at the end of 2023, Bono seemed to suggest he wants new material out before vegas but maybe just a few singles if AB is going to be the main focus of they shows. I wouldn’t even rule out the brand new material not being out until very early 2024, basically as long as it’s on time for a 2024 tour.

Last edited:
U2songs have also put in a comment on Twitter ‘announced’ in the new year for Songs of surrender clarifying some of our earlier thoughts/questions.

So his comments to Billy Sloan on BBC Radio Scotland suggests the band have shelved and 'put aside' the material they've been working on the last few years in favour of 'uncompromising' guitar music, made for 'ourselves and our audience' and that it doesn't matter if it doesn't get played on radio.

So his comments to Billy Sloan on BBC Radio Scotland suggests the band have shelved and 'put aside' the material they've been working on the last few years in favour of 'uncompromising' guitar music, made for 'ourselves and our audience' and that it doesn't matter if it doesn't get played on radio.

I believe he’s referencing shelving Songs of Ascent which he’s mentioned in a few other interviews since the tour started.

Translation:

We’ll get an album of uncompromised guitar for one or two songs, and the rest will be trying to be radio hits. Oh, and that album will come out in 2024.

Translation:

We’ll get an album of uncompromised guitar for one or two songs, and the rest will be trying to be radio hits. Oh, and that album will come out in 2024.

Scary the next album might just end up being 10-12 American Souls

Would be helpful if he had a clue what their audience wants….

Scary the next album might just end up being 10-12 American Souls

Exactly.

It could be 10-12 Acrobat’s, that would be scarily good.

They were reportedly rather surprised by the reaction to Acrobat which shows how dumb they can be. Never touched Little Things but kept right on refu-jesusing throughout the US tour.

Translation:

He more or less admits that they can't do that anymore in the book.

Whether they actually follow through, of course, is another story.

An album full of American Souls is a terrifying prospect.

I wonder if they realise how badly received that song is amongst the fanbase? The other alternative is an album full of watered down Vertigos ala The Miracle, equally as terrifying.

They should get the buzzwords back in - moody, trashy, raw and add that to the rock concept. Then we'll be in for a great album.

Uncompromising guitar music sounds like a job for one of my U2-producer-dream-teams of Barlow/Flood.

Additionally/alternately, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would be my ultimate cream dream. Trent’s a fan and they’ve been extremely prolific as a duo. If U2 truly aren’t going to chase hits, there’s the potential of them not being so wishy washy in the studio what with the second guessing and re-recording and producer alienating.

An EP, eh?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/11/28/u2-kennedy-center-honors/

The new album, he says, will move away from the band’s recent work, which has been softer. He wants Edge’s guitar to drive the music, to turn the volume up. He does not sound tired or ready for the oldies circuit. He sounds hopeful, thinking that there could be no better time for his beloved rock band.

“The country’s changed for a group like U2,” Bono says. “But I have a feeling that we have something. That if we can distill it on these next sessions, this unreasonable guitar record that we all want to make actually, I just feel there’s a moment … I don’t know if you can capture people for a whole album. But what if it was just an EP or just one song that could burst through? We don’t need it on the pop charts. We don’t. But we need people to pass it around. I think we do want that.”

An EP, eh?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/11/28/u2-kennedy-center-honors/

The new album, he says, will move away from the band’s recent work, which has been softer. He wants Edge’s guitar to drive the music, to turn the volume up. He does not sound tired or ready for the oldies circuit. He sounds hopeful, thinking that there could be no better time for his beloved rock band.

“The country’s changed for a group like U2,” Bono says. “But I have a feeling that we have something. That if we can distill it on these next sessions, this unreasonable guitar record that we all want to make actually, I just feel there’s a moment … I don’t know if you can capture people for a whole album. But what if it was just an EP or just one song that could burst through? We don’t need it on the pop charts. We don’t. But we need people to pass it around. I think we do want that.”

i love hearing stuff like this from bono... this is finally the appropriate approach.

pop chart domination is never happening again, other than by fluke and/or a moment of tragedy (which obviously nobody is hoping for).

but you can still have an interesting album/song/EP that people are talking about - that gets play in the age appropriate areas, has some slight breakthrough in areas where it makes sense to breakthrough - and lives as a thing that people acknowledge and accept as good, without having to force it down everybody's throats in pursuit of something that's currently impossible for a band of their age.

every band/artist at some point needs to accept that they'll never be able to get the youths again. U2's struggled with coming to grips with this - probably because they were able to extend their time in the spotlight longer than probably any other band in history. but when the time finally did come (around 2009) they failed to recognize it.

it seems like, perhaps, they finally do.

The key line is from Larry, I believe:

The interview he gave for this story was, he said, his first in seven years. He’s blunt — he says if the band plays live in 2023 it will likely be without him, as he needs surgery to continue playing

So I don't think we're likely to see any talk show/small performances to promote SOS. And it makes me wonder whether those Vegas Sphere dates are legit. Of course, November 2023 isn't the same as May 2023.

Also:

As the ’80s wore on and U2’s stature grew, band decisions would be made by what they called the “Politburo,” named after the policymaking committees in most communist systems. In Mullen’s view, the system that served the band well for so long has now become more of a benevolent dictatorship.

Larry not on board, stated publicly. One could hypothesize (as some have before) that SOA is intended to be their final album, and it's being held a bit for that reason.

Last edited:
also...

imrs.php

Yes, the hat is bad, but I'm getting sick of the generic black suit, too.

And needless to say, the Lennon glasses, which he's probably getting buried with at this point. We can only hope a ZooTV anniversary show helps him to change things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom