Songs of Innocence - Vinyl Ed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have a link to download TCB 12" version from a vinyl drop? (not a rip of the crappy Youtube version).

I've been looking as well. In fact, I've been looking for vinyl rips of most U2 albums without much luck. When I move and set up my turntable properly, I will rip it myself, but for now I think it would rely on a kind soul doing the work

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wasn't planning to but I picked up a copy on Friday when I was at a CMJ show at a combo store/venue here in Brooklyn, they were giving 10% off for CMJ badge holders so I couldn't resist. ;) Strangely they only had the vinyl and not the CD. I too am debating whether or not to open it!

Anyone get it and have an opinion of the sound? Debating if I want to get the vinyl, as the cd has a dynamic range of 9 and actually sounds pretty good this time around. $36 for new vinyl from a non-audiophile label feels like extortion, tbh. But $30+ for new releases seems to be becoming the norm lately. Crazy days!

I thought the vinyl sounded pretty good - warm, fat low end and not over compressed from what I can tell. I was worried it would be squashed to hell and it wasn't.

I've been looking as well. In fact, I've been looking for vinyl rips of most U2 albums without much luck. When I move and set up my turntable properly, I will rip it myself, but for now I think it would rely on a kind soul doing the work

I think I have a vinyl rip of HTDAAB which my brother assures me sounds better than the CD rip. I think it's in 260kbs. Let me know if you're interested.

^ The vinyl rip of HTDAAB has been passed around here and it does sound good. :up:

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon US and got it on release day. No problem.

Same here. No problem receiving it on release day, but just a tiny bit disappointed in the entire package. Would have been nice to get a bit more like a booklet or something, and the whole thing (the cardboard it's constructed of) feels a bit cheap and flimsy. The white vinyl is pretty though.

I'm experiencing a lot of sibilance distortion on the miracle and on every breaking wave. Anyone else hearing that?

I've actually noticed that same issue on both the iTunes and CD versions. "The Miracle" is particularly bad, although the songs seem to get better as the album goes on. I was hoping the vinyl wouldn't have the same problem...

I've actually noticed that same issue on both the iTunes and CD versions. "The Miracle" is particularly bad, although the songs seem to get better as the album goes on. I was hoping the vinyl wouldn't have the same problem...

I haven't listened to the CD/digital versions much on the stereo my turn table is hooked up to.

Perhaps I'll listen to it again. It's a lot more revealing than my iPhone, car and computer speakers. It might be the recording and not the vinyl pressing.

HMV Trick or Treat

Pre-ordered my SOI vinyl copy with 3 stores in town! All are saying that it hasn't arrived yet. The other day I called HMV and they told me my copy was in but just as I was about to end the call, the employee informed me that they had made a mistake and in fact the vinyl was for someone in the queue ahead as I was next in line. If a company as large as HMV is only bringing in 1-2 copies of a new release then what about the boutique shops?

Bottom line: Frustration!

I'm experiencing a lot of sibilance distortion on the miracle and on every breaking wave. Anyone else hearing that?

I don´t have the vinyl version, I seriously had to stop buying
records, I already have too many and not enough space in the house.
But I will suggest for you to check again and test the weight on your
turntable arm. Check again if the wires are well placed and hooked up to
the system.
If the weight in the back is not properly placed, you
will get some distortion on the sound.
There could also be a small problem with the needle. Check to see
if the cartridge is well placed and the diamond tip on the needle is
well cleaned from little dirt particles. If the needle is dirty, just get yourself
a small painters soft brush and clean the needle gently.
If you have a friend with another turntable, test it on his system.
If that particular noise or distortion is still happening, then the record may have
problems and you will have to replace it with a new copy.
Sometimes it happens, although its rare, but it does happen

I'm loving the vinyl version of SOI but have a question.

Is the 12" mix of "The Crystal Ballroom" sung by someone other than Bono? When I spin it, the voice singing doesn't sound like Bono as it sounds slowed down, also the beats per minute compared to the CD Crystal Ballroom. The whole track feels like the the timing is off. It is the strangest thing as every other song and record in my collection is great.

The rest of the album is top drawer though :love:

update: I have a Duel CS503-1 Audiophile series player. I slightly adjusted the playing speed and this seem to correct the timing of The Crystal Ballroom 12".

However, when starting the album from the beginning, all the other tracks from The Miracle to The Troubles played too fast making Bono sound like Mickey Mouse. I had to click the 33/45 knob back into place.

Why would only the Crystal Ballroom need slight increase to it's playing speed while the other songs not at all. In order to match the demo of it I watched on You Tube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJ3tcYxkMA

I'm loving the vinyl version of SOI but have a question.

Is the 12" mix of "The Crystal Ballroom" sung by someone other than Bono? When I spin it, the voice singing doesn't sound like Bono as it sounds slowed down, also the beats per minute compared to the CD Crystal Ballroom. The whole track feels like the the timing is off. It is the strangest thing as every other song and record in my collection is great.

The rest of the album is top drawer though :love:

Ignore

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've been looking as well. In fact, I've been looking for vinyl rips of most U2 albums without much luck. When I move and set up my turntable properly, I will rip it myself, but for now I think it would rely on a kind soul doing the work.

I believe someone said the Japanese version of SOI had the 12" version on CD too, right? Not quite a vinyl rip, but I wouldn't mind someone sharing that version either.

The white vinyl looks like a delicious candy wafer. I want to eat it.

Aren't 12" singles traditionally pressed at 45 RPM? I don't have any to check for corroboration but I think this is true.

Question for our tech friends about 33 vs 45 RPM: does the higher rate of rotation allow for increased fidelity (maybe not the right word)? Certainly nothing I could possibly detect, but I seem to remember learning this at some point. Isn't that the reason singles are 45 RPM as opposed to 33? Using 33 allows you to fit more information on a given size disc, but even w analog, is there a theoretical trade off with regard to amount of information vs 'fidelity' or accuracy of the sound reproduction? Just curious... Prob in the wrong thread. Sorry.

One song spread out at 45rpm is higher quality than if they'd had to fit several songs in the same space but spinning more slowly at 33rpm. Since there was only one song on that side, 45rpm was the right choice to give us the best quality.

My CB 12" plays too fast on 45 RPM speed so I have to set the speed between 33 and 45 to hear the song correctly....just found this weird, that's all.

Just got my copy in today and Yes...I'm hearing lots of distortion on Miracle and EBW. All my other records are fine. I don't think my setup is the problem.

I'm going to listen again to Miracle and EBW and check for distortion too.

I'm listening to a rip I made of my vinyl copy and don't hear any in either track.

At first I thought I did on The Miracle, but on closer inspection it turned out to only be the right and left distorted electric guitars - the drums / vocal etc were all clean as they should be throughout.

I couldn't find anything wrong on EBW.

Back
Top Bottom