Songs of Innocence Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice review.

I listened to it a few days ago for the first time in months. While certainly not bad I didn't find it to be that gripping either. I think Bono's 100 percent correct in thinking the album is too glossy. There's something just inconsequential sounding about it. Most of it just kinda floats by. Maybe that's better than outright terribleness (BOMB, some of NLOTH, Volcano), but it's not exactly a winning endorsement either.

I don't think "Bomb" is a bomb or that "No Line" was terrible at all. I've got my corrections for both; but I wouldn't live in a world without them. "Floating by" is not an phrase I would bandy lightly as a description of "SOI". It's their most realized and lived in album since "Achtung Baby" (not an analogy of quality but a descriptor of their meat and potatoes approach). Definitely not a floater. Of the earth.

Cool. For the record, I wasn't trying to equate your opinion of SOI with mine.

Just to clarify, I said "some" of NLOTH. There's no song on SOI for me that has the "of the earth, meat and potatoes" quality like Moment of Surrender. I prefer SOI on the whole as an album (though I'd argue it's similarly disjointed like NLOTH), but it doesn't make the Earth move for me. There are fleeting moments of transcendence, like California's chorus and parts of Iris and CR. Sleep Like A Baby has a great synth backing and is novel, but doesn't particularly move me. Same for The Troubles, which could've been huge but in it's finished state sounds unfinished. No song, with the exception of Volcano, is a bomb. But alas, there's just nothing meaty for me to sink my teeth into. It's good, could've been great.

Subjectivity forever.

"Raised by Wolves" and "Cedarwood Road" are two of the worldliest and most honest songs the band has ever carved (helps that they are sonically interesting as well). "MOS" I'd define as illuminated and/or visionary and is not material like the aforementioned tunes (certainly not the lesser for it; the subway and ATM references help ground the visions; but as whole, "MOS" is more a mental state than --).

Good chat.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by "of the earth"...I assumed you meant of "U2's world" which, to me, has always been about transcendence. AB's production is ethereal despite the distortion. MOS to me has that otherworldly effect the best U2 songs produce.

Though the themes may be honest on SOI, it's the gloss that makes it float by for me. Not transcendent, or earthy and direct either. Even something direct can have a cathartic effect that gives way to transcendence. There's a time for gloss and pop, and SOI is sucessful with it, but like most of pop radio these days, it's easy to tune out. It doesn't command my attention.

Whether I agree with it or not, very nice review. You took the time and put in the effort to explain your thoughts on each song.

With that said, I happen to agree with you on most of your opinions. I am an unabashed fan of SOI, in fact I love it but I get that Song for Someone can seem a bit bland for most U2 fans and that Volcano can appear to walk a fine line between rocker and stinker but I do like both of those songs a lot.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

While not a musician myself, I hear my musician friends agonize about track listings and the subjectivity of their inner circle all the time. I suppose who you surround yourself with is important too. U2 obviously has a rich musical fraternity that pushes back when things get out of hand in the studio. Doesn't mean either camp is always right. You just have to be right most of the time to succeed. U2 have an excellent track record of surrounding great tunes with decent tunes. Very few bands, past or present, can keep up with them on this score. U2 hasn't been a group of four in a long time. Maybe ever. However the number of 'interested parties' has grown exponentially over time. U2 is more like the Vatican city now, minus the pope.

Love this article. A great breakdown of the tracks and how they work now that the initial wave of negativity and Apple and nitpicking are over. It's fun to break down the album, get a feel for what works and what didn't. The album and the tour are different--some of these songs are better live, but doesn't mean they hold up on the album as a start to finish piece. I listened to the album the new way and it feels a little more solid, a little less "trying so hard to make it great." The latter tracks do make SOI great. I like TIWYCRMN much better now than I did in September when I was listening to the album over and over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom