Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to know. The Best Buy website said $15.99 but either that's an online price or the sale price isn't active until tomorrow.

Either way, I'll be going there.

Amazon.com was originally listed at 19.99 when I preordered but it dropped to $15.88 today. Awesome for me since I have gift card credit that more than covers it. :up:

Cant wait for it to be here tomorrow! :hyper: Listening to it on my phone is one thing. Holding the physical product in my hands is quite another. (I know, I'm old school. :reject: )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

On Amazone Germany it is the best selling album right now (overall, not just rock category)

U2 has been experiencing a significant boost on the iTunes Charts with 'Songs of Innocence +'. :up:

Quite interesting!

Our local Best Buys, in a major metropolitan market, haven't yet stocked SOI. Mine doesn't have many CDs to begin with, but a friend's BB usually has a larger amount of CDs. Today that BB said to check back tomorrow. My nearest large independent store in the city had the CD Deluxe last Friday, but they rush ordered the vinyl and it wasn't in again today. They said hopefully tomorrow.

The friend's independent store won't have anything SOI until later this week which is odd. They had Ordinary Love for RSD, so you'd think they'd have this too. :hmm:

I am wondering if retailers were hesitant to stock or advertise SOI in our area and if so why? This is a large consumer market. Should we extrapolate that there are some retailers who are angry and don't want to support SOI? Or, is it that retailers didn't expect it to sell well so didn't bother to stock it? Is it that some retail stores are poorly managed? This is BB, shouldn't they have SOI on hand already or does each store decide what to order? As for the independent store, that's a puzzler.

I don't think I've seen SOI at #2 on Amazon's Pop chart until now. Well done! :applaud:

YOUR EARLY READS: Next week’s retail picture is still a bit hazy, but we have a few early numbers for y’all to chaw on.

Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 180-200k
Bob Seger (Capitol) 50-60k
You+Me (RCA) 40-50k
Hoodie Allen (Hoodie Allen) 35-45k
U2 (Interscope) 25-30k
Jessie J (Lava/Republic) 20-25k
Nico & Vinz (Warner Bros.) 10-15k

Wow thats really low

YOUR EARLY READS: Next week’s retail picture is still a bit hazy, but we have a few early numbers for y’all to chaw on.

Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 180-200k
Bob Seger (Capitol) 50-60k
You+Me (RCA) 40-50k
Hoodie Allen (Hoodie Allen) 35-45k
U2 (Interscope) 25-30k
Jessie J (Lava/Republic) 20-25k
Nico & Vinz (Warner Bros.) 10-15k

Wow thats really low

VERY low. But let's talk reality. Super fans like us will all go out and buy 1 or 2 copies. But even big fans that I know, got the album for free and are in no rush to go buy the thing they have sitting in their iTunes/iPhones for free...

Jessie J, who is pretty hot right now is gonna debut lower than them! The industry is all screwed up and while country and classic rock fans are still going to go out and buy full albums, most pop music is bought on a track by track basis. That's why you see people with HUGE pop hits right now, selling around 10,000 a week.

It's sad to see. I would have loved to see them get to about the 75k mark, so they could be in the top 3 or 4, but it's looking like they will be lucky to be in the top 7 at this point.

p.s. - a little shocked at the Bob Seger number.

VERY low. But let's talk reality. Super fans like us will all go out and buy 1 or 2 copies. But even big fans that I know, got the album for free and are in no rush to go buy the thing they have sitting in their iTunes/iPhones for free...

Jessie J, who is pretty hot right now is gonna debut lower than them! The industry is all screwed up and while country and classic rock fans are still going to go out and buy full albums, most pop music is bought on a track by track basis. That's why you see people with HUGE pop hits right now, selling around 10,000 a week.

It's sad to see. I would have loved to see them get to about the 75k mark, so they could be in the top 3 or 4, but it's looking like they will be lucky to be in the top 7 at this point.

p.s. - a little shocked at the Bob Seger number.

Jay Z sold 500k on his physical release after giving the album away for free.

Try again.

Try again.

Apples and Oranges.

Samsung gave albums away to the first 1 million people that bought Samsung phones and tablets - 3 days before the actual release of the album.

At this point Jay-Z had a month or more of presales piled up, and the amount he "gave away" was a drop in the bucket. I would dare say 10% of the people that bought the phones gave a shit about getting the album for free, just like if U2 would have done the same move.

U2 gave the album to 500 million people for 5 weeks, on the very platform that is the worlds largest music seller. It's not even comparable

In reality, Jay-Z had a traditional release, and gave a few albums out free a few days early. So he got traditional release numbers.
Please don't tell me you think that U2 would sell 30k in the their first week if they had made the exact same move.

Try again.

In fairness, U2's album moved 26 million copies vs. Jay's 1 million prior to release day. I'd be shocked if they moved even 100,000 units after it's been free on iTunes for 5 weeks.

These sales figures don't surprise me. For perspective, so far this year only one album (Frozen OST) has sold over 1 million copies. The rest hover between 400-700k copies.

Keep in mind this campaign wasn't about album sales.. They've had constant media coverage for the last 5 weeks (good & bad) and it's safe to say a LOT more people know who U2 are now..

The other thing that surprises me about this projected figure, is that it shows just how LITTLE music Amazon is selling. SOI has been in the top 10 for presales for a few weeks now. And keep in mind this is just ONE retailer, and it adds up to THAT!!!

Crazy if true.

So iTunes isn't selling the standard SOI now?!?!? I knew they weren't selling the Deluxe, but it makes no sense not to start charging for the standard disc.

Also, not letting people be able to at least listen to the clip of Crystal Ballroom and LH, is so stupid. Keep it as an album only thing, but let people listen to a clip so they want to buy the damn thing!!

:doh:

So iTunes isn't selling the standard SOI now?!?!? I knew they weren't selling the Deluxe, but it makes no sense not to start charging for the standard disc.

Also, not letting people be able to at least listen to the clip of Crystal Ballroom and LH, is so stupid. Keep it as an album only thing, but let people listen to a clip so they want to buy the damn thing!!

:doh:

They are selling it on iTunes outside of the U.S. - I have been seeing the regular version chart in countries like Singapore.

Didnt billboard say that they had done 70,000 in pre orders last week?

No.
Billboard said that based on the pre-order estimates they had they extrapolated U2's sales figures for the album debut week to probably be around 70,000. I guess there aren't much in-store sales then.

No.
Billboard said that based on the pre-order estimates they had they extrapolated U2's sales figures for the album debut week to probably be around 70,000. I guess there aren't much in-store sales then.

I just went back to the Billboard article and I'm seeing something that could be quite disturbing but now makes more sense.

Based on pre-orders alone, sources suggest to Billboard the physical deluxe edition will move an additional 70,000 copies in the U.S.

This says NOTHING about first week sales!! It's saying that they will move an additional 70k copies in the U.S.
This could very well mean, 70k total, or at least for the year.

Look at Hits number around 25k for the first week, probably dropping to 10 after that then maybe 7 for a couple weeks, maybe 10 a week during the holidays and then slip off all together.

That would total up to about 70k...

Take from that what you will...

They knew what they were getting into with this release strategy, so I think they aren't that disturbed with the low estimates.

You had to buy a samsung phone to get the album for free so i really dont think its the same

You did not. You had to own one. And there are more people who own Samsung phones then iPhones...

Alas, the point that there were a lot more people who got this album than Jay Z's is a good one, as only 1 million copies were given away. But the album proliferated torrent sites after the release and still sold incredibly well.

25k for this is very very bad. They can't be happy about it.

You did not. You had to own one. And there are more people who own Samsung phones then iPhones...

Alas, the point that there were a lot more people who got this album than Jay Z's is a good one, as only 1 million copies were given away. But the album proliferated torrent sites after the release and still sold incredibly well.

25k for this is very very bad. They can't be happy about it.

The Korean mobile company has paid $5m so that the first million owners of Galaxy S III, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note II devices to claim the album though a free app from the Google Play store get a three-day headstart on the rest of Jay-Z's fans

you are correct you didnt have to buy a new phone but instead it went to the first million owners of certain samsung phones.

Out of those million who would want a Jay z album, your talking a minority just like u2's itunes download.

Back
Top Bottom