Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rest of the album doesn't have that joy division Kraftwerk influence.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The rest of the album doesn't sound like Miracle at all, if we're going there.

I listened to the Bonus disc late last night. I think it's the first time I really took time to listen to the acoustic songs and alternative versions. To my surprise, I thought the acoustic version of Cedarwood Road is pretty great, even though it doesn't live up to the album version, but it doesn't have to. I also like Bono's singing here, he's not over-stretching so much. The acoustic version lends some intimacy to this song and has a totally different atmosphere than the rockier version on the album.

Songs of Someone is beautiful, but, IMO, not different enough from the album version to justify a second version on the bonus disk. Every Breaking Wave is fine until Bono decides to totally over-do his singing. It makes me honestly miss the very simple, stripped down version we got during the tour. All the alternative versions are fine, but sound unfinished to me, no comparison to the album songs. The two new songs are great, TCB is actually growing on me, though I'm still not a fan of the chorus.

Funny how MLK sounds nothing like Martin Luthor King....

This is what they had to say about that song and its meaning....

"'MLK' was the last track on the album, just a great lullaby.
In the scriptures they talk about the blood crying from the ground.
And with 'MLK' you have just that, the blood crying from the ground - but not
for revenge, for understanding." - Bono, U2 By U2 2006

BTW, the name is Martin Luther King, Jr.

The weekly ad for Best buy stores that came out this morning is advertising the deluxe as having 22 tracks. I wonder if it comes with another new song or if they are counting invisible...

They are probably counting the Invisible (really invisible) song from
the list.
Unless they included another extra invisible song right at the end of the
record like the Beatles did with Sgt.Peppers album.
The Beatles did not actually place a song at the end but more of a
whistle-noise which only dogs can hear, not humans.
That is crazy.

The Best buy weekly ad this morning also has the title in the top left corner. I wonder if its the sticker or just part of the cover for the US.

The Best buy weekly ad this morning also has the title in the top left corner. I wonder if its the sticker or just part of the cover for the US.

I will tell you when I have the actual cd in my hands tomorrow, or
this tuesday. My friend is picking up his special vinyl copy version.
At the moment I only have 3 complete versions of this new
record in MP3s.
- The free iTunes version
- The leaked double cd-deluxe version with seperate acoustic songs version.
- The leaked double cd-deluxe version with all acoustic songs as one long
song version.

No more "extra songs" added or diferent covers. All covers are the same
except for the White-label iTunes free-cd and that Special-edition
vinyl record.

One thing I am quite glad about is that they didn't throw the finished version of North Star on here. Regardless of your opinion of the song, it wouldn't have fit the theme of this album at all.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

REVIEW: ALBUM OF THE WEEK: U2 – ‘SONGS OF INNOCENCE’ Deluxe Edition
first review here: U2 - 'SONGS OF INNOCENCE' Deluxe Edition - XS NOIZE | Essential Music News & the Latest Sounds UK & Beyond

I love The Clash, but ‘This is Where You Can Reach Me Now’ still does nothing for me. I can’t figure it out. The song just lays there for me. It is too long and the lyrics are so so. It sounds like an attempt at a Shins song or a b-side off of ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’. There is nothing drastically wrong with it but I expected more when I saw it dedicated to Joe Strummer.

:huh:

The Shins? ATYCLB? The track sounds like neither of those. No clue what the fuck this guy is talking about.

I love The Clash, but ‘This is Where You Can Reach Me Now’ still does nothing for me. I can’t figure it out. The song just lays there for me. It is too long and the lyrics are so so. It sounds like an attempt at a Shins song or a b-side off of ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’. There is nothing drastically wrong with it but I expected more when I saw it dedicated to Joe Strummer.

The Shins? ATYCLB? The track sounds like neither of those. No clue what the fuck this guy is talking about.

yeah, I thought this review was kind of weird and off-base on a number of fronts.

And "This is Where..." is a great song, and like nothing I've heard from 2000 era U2.

Yeah, no way on the Shins, and not ATYCLB either. BUT I totally agree with him that it really does nothing for me. Just lays there, quite out of place in my opinion. Too long for sure. I don't dislike it. Just not right.

Damn, Bono's vocals are far better on some of these acoustic tracks. "California," "Cedarwood Road," "Every Breaking Wave." He's not straining or shouting and he's got a lovely clean tone.

Yeah, no way on the Shins, and not ATYCLB either. BUT I totally agree with him that it really does nothing for me. Just lays there, quite out of place in my opinion. Too long for sure. I don't dislike it. Just not right.

"Just lays there"? One of the most danceable songs on the album, with some rat-a-tat exciting playing from Edge on the verses.

I already knew you were insane with your vendetta against Invisible, but this seals it.

Damn, Bono's vocals are far better on some of these acoustic tracks. "California," "Cedarwood Road," "Every Breaking Wave." He's not straining or shouting and he's got a lovely clean tone.

I have exactly the opposite opinion, on the acoustic versions he sounds like he is struggling...

"Just lays there"? One of the most danceable songs on the album, with some rat-a-tat exciting playing from Edge on the verses.

I already knew you were insane with your vendetta against Invisible, but this seals it.

Certainly danceable, and a fresh sound for the band. Just odd they put it in betweeen SLABT and Troubles, the two darkest songs.

LOL. Hey, I can't help that Invisible is boring, forced, and emotionally disconnected. :wink:

I don't DISlike Reach. I just don't have any clue why people would put it at the top of their list on this album. I do think that there are two big issues. One is the choice of using the Theramin sound. It just doesn't work. If that had been replaced by a cool new, tougher guitar sound by the Edge, I may love it. Also, the placement on the album is SO wrong. SLABT flows so seamlessly into the Troubles. This has no place between them. It also does seem to go on longer than it should.

Again, it's a fine song. But just... eh for me.

Funny, to me that song feels the most NON forced from the whole album, everything in it flows perfectly, Edge´s funky guitar, Adam´s groove, larry´s flawless drums, even the bridge is top notch, the ending is not too long at all.
It is just a perfect song, sorry I can´t help it :)
I wouldn´t imagine U2 in their mid 50´s can write energetic, uptempo, light-hearted song like that.
:applaud:

Funny, to me that song feels the most NON forced from the whole album, everything in it flows perfectly, Edge´s funky guitar, Adam´s groove, larry´s flawless drums, even the bridge is top notch, the ending is not too long at all.
It is just a perfect song, sorry I can´t help it :)
I wouldn´t imagine U2 in their mid 50´s can write energetic, uptempo, light-hearted song like that.
:applaud:

I don't think Reach feels forced at all. I do feel that way about Invisible.
Reach has a decent flow, but just doesn't have a succinct forward movement to me. And again, the theramin sound!! just can't get past it.
And also, a "bouncy, light-hearted song" in between Sleep and Troubles??
just odd

Back
Top Bottom