Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This album I've heard, it sounds like;

Adele
Linkin Park
Arcade Fire
Killers

If anything this album has confused the shit out its fanbase.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What track sounds like a linkin park track???

It doesn't seem to make much sense to me since these tracks are very different from each other, they aren't strictly acoustic and the alternative version of SLABT doesn't seem to belong there.

Why do you keep saying they're not strictly acoustic?

And I don't think SLABT is included.

Acoustic Cafifornia is very very bad..... and I love the album version a lot.... but mehhhhh!!!!
The rest is very average...... feeling no emotion at all for those acoustic tracks.

I like the groove in Lucifer's hands, but yeah the middle part is really messy. Too bad, they could have made a damn good song with it. Glad it's not included in SOI, doesn't fit.

The only 2 songs I want to hear are Crystal Ballroom and alternate SLABT but I can't open them..... anyone could send me the links please?

swisscow2000@hotmail.com

:wave:

Just sent you few goodies. :)

Son gs of innocence...really ? :no:

Crystal Ballroom has a very good solo, Lucifer's hands, as said before, is Stingray guitar made into a new song. Decent additions.

Acoustics : EBW and SFS (Edge on piano?) are awesome, the rest is not up to that level. Though :down: for not separating the songs.

:up: Alternate Troubles is the best song so far on the bonus disc. The cello for the win.

:up: Alternate SLABT.

:down: Why did they leave off Invisible off SOI ? Would have made a great opener, and is a better fit thematically than Miracle.

Is the 12'' mix of Crystal Ballroom different to the version on the bonus disc ?

If I hear one more it sounds like Coldplay arcade fire ______ whatever I will likely lose my shit

I actually hear a bit of Lorde in EBW at the 2:53 mark.
"The sea knows where all the rocks
Are drowning is an ocean
You know where my heart is
The same place that yours has been" sounds eerily similar to a couple Lorde tracks. I dug out my physical copy and all production credits go to Ella Yelich O'Conner and Joel Little. Oddly enough she's on Universal. :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

BONUS ALBUM

Lucifer Hands - I wouldn´t imagine they can do a song from return od Stingray Guitaaaaaaar. And they did. And it works. I think it ended up better than when Coldplay tried make a song from Life in Technicolor. That´s a nice surprise! I even like the middle 8 section.

Ballroom - fantastic song, brilliant production, great melody, gorgeous groove, it´s basically their succesful attempt on Daft Punk´s Get Lucky. It´s a masterpiece until comes The Edge and ruins the final part of the song with his awful solo.

Every breaking Wave - the song is a classic. Bono delivered great vocal take. It´s moving. The symphonic section only adds the icing on the cake.

Cedarwood - this acoustic version makes it clear where are the origins of this song. The album electric version is a bit messy and lost at some parts. I´m sure this song was made up on acoustic guitar and it sounds best that way.

Wolves - it is maybe more haunting when electric, but this version is also very solid

California - it´s quite good, but the album version is the real thing

Miracle - it is a bit of surprise it works maybe better like campfire song than the original oldschool rock, anyway this song is okay, but doesn´t have the magic, so I guess nothing helps it :)

Song for Someone - it´s a really good song, I thought it would be great in more intimate arrangement, but unfortunately it didn´t happen,...

Sleep Like a Baby - I really like this version, it´s a bit different, nevertheless I would rank it as great as the album version

Troubles - I find it as good as the album version, mainly because they went for less cheesy attempt on the bridge section ("God, knows it´s not easy")

So I´m very happy and grateful to the band for putting out this as gift. Two new songs are great and I suppose time will tell Ballroom is a real gem.

The alternate versions of songs are pretty good.

The acoustic versions prooved those songs are strong enough for being played stripped down, but it also shows why the members of U2 goes very sporadically on side projects. The magic happens when they play together and when they work on lifting their songs up to the stratosphere and beyond through their sonical uniqueness.
:heart:

Alternate Tracklist:

1. Invisible
2. EBW
3. California
4. SFS
5. Iris
6. The Crystal Ballroom
7. RBW
8. Cedarwood
9. Sleep Like a Baby
10. Ordinary Love
11. The Troubles

They both fit very well thematically, it's just that Invisible doesn't fit sonically.

Why not ? It fits perfectly, especially if you look beyond the opening Tedder/Epworth singles-loaded first 4 songs.

The Crystal Ballroom is pretty, and sounds better (and more ambitious) then some of the songs on the record, but it doesn't really fit and I can see why they left it off. But I do like the song and it's in my SOI playlist. I also like the extended version of Invisible, a song which has grown on me.

The rest of the bonus CD is pretty much forgettable. Lucifer's Hands is a bit of a mess and definitely b-side material. An unfinished leftover. It actually sounds more like something you'd find in a fan club release than as a bonus track that presumably is supposed to entice people to spend extra money for the deluxe edition. U2 just doesn't do this kind of rock very well, and even when they are able to pull it off (e.g. Elevation, Vertigo), the results are merely good, not great. They're just not that kind of band, and I'm not sure why they feel the need to get their guitar rock on when it's clearly not their thing.

The alternate versions of SLABT and Troubles are interesting, but pale in comparison to the originals and aren't anything I'll be returning to.

The acoustic tracks, all of them, are completely unremarkable, as I suspected they would be. And the one song that I though would have been interesting to hear acoustically, Iris, is oddly missing. If there's one thing U2 does less well than hard guitar rock it's stripped down rock. This has always been a band that benefits heavily from layered production, and IMO whenever they do something like this it really exposes their limitations as musicians.

All in all, the bonus CD is nothing exceptional, which is fine since what we already got is pretty strong. The 11 songs proper album is almost perfectly balanced, and none of these other songs really have a place there, IMO. But I don't hear anything on the second disc that would make any non-hardcore fans, who already got the record for free, want to run out and buy it.

I have a strange question: In my Amazon library, there's a different track order for CD2: A so-called "physical version" of Sleep like a baby comes after The Troubles alternative version on the album. However, it's the same (and only alternative) version of SLABT, the song just seem to have a different title and is listed as last song in the tracklist, after The Troubles.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Edit: Just noticed that it's that way on the physical album as well. I was surprised because I thought, after the leaked tracklist, that The Troubles was actually the last song on CD2 as well and that SLABT was part of the "Acoustic Sessions" :doh:

I'm in love with disc 2.

Hands of Lucifer is a great song.

I can't stop listening to Crystal Ballroom over and over again. It has to be a single.

And Bono's voice sounds better on these acoustic versions than at any other time post-Lovetown. It's amazing to see him continue to get better and better after what happened to his singing in the late 90s/early oughts.

The acoustic Every Breaking Wave is U2 at their best. I keep saying it, but if an EBW single can't be a hit, then nothing U2 could ever write would ever be allowed to. It's the reason they exist. And the acoustic California is aiding me in my learning to accept the song.

I'm in love with disc 2.

Hands of Lucifer is a great song.

I can't stop listening to Crystal Ballroom over and over again. It has to be a single.

And Bono's voice sounds better on these acoustic versions than at any other time post-Lovetown. It's amazing to see him continue to get better and better after what happened to his singing in the late 90s/early oughts.

The acoustic Every Breaking Wave is U2 at their best. I keep saying it, but if an EBW single can't be a hit, then nothing U2 could ever write would ever be allowed to. It's the reason they exist. And the acoustic California is aiding me in my learning to accept the song.

I agree with a lot of what you say. The acoustic versions are really growing on me. It's a great bonus disc overall and really enhances my appreciation of SOI in general.

The Crystal Ballroom is pretty, and sounds better (and more ambitious) then some of the songs on the record, but it doesn't really fit and I can see why they left it off. But I do like the song and it's in my SOI playlist. I also like the extended version of Invisible, a song which has grown on me.

The rest of the bonus CD is pretty much forgettable. Lucifer's Hands is a bit of a mess and definitely b-side material. An unfinished leftover. It actually sounds more like something you'd find in a fan club release than as a bonus track that presumably is supposed to entice people to spend extra money for the deluxe edition. U2 just doesn't do this kind of rock very well, and even when they are able to pull it off (e.g. Elevation, Vertigo), the results are merely good, not great. They're just not that kind of band, and I'm not sure why they feel the need to get their guitar rock on when it's clearly not their thing.

The alternate versions of SLABT and Troubles are interesting, but pale in comparison to the originals and aren't anything I'll be returning to.

The acoustic tracks, all of them, are completely unremarkable, as I suspected they would be. And the one song that I though would have been interesting to hear acoustically, Iris, is oddly missing. If there's one thing U2 does less well than hard guitar rock it's stripped down rock. This has always been a band that benefits heavily from layered production, and IMO whenever they do something like this it really exposes their limitations as musicians.

All in all, the bonus CD is nothing exceptional, which is fine since what we already got is pretty strong. The 11 songs proper album is almost perfectly balanced, and none of these other songs really have a place there, IMO. But I don't hear anything on the second disc that would make any non-hardcore fans, who already got the record for free, want to run out and buy it.
This actually :up:

The rest of the album doesn't have that joy division Kraftwerk influence.

Not that influence per se, but the album is loaded with synths none the less.

And certainly song about going off to London/spiting Bob Hewson fits more than the song about the Ramones that sounds nothing at all like the Ramones.

Not that influence per se, but the album is loaded with synths none the less.

And certainly song about going off to London/spiting Bob Hewson fits more than the song about the Ramones that sounds nothing at all like the Ramones.

Ummmm... It's not just a song about the Ramones. It's a song about what sparked their pilgrimage into music.

Back
Top Bottom