Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tend to agree. Everything except War. It's like the antithesis of this album. Can someone explain how War isn't their worst album, or at least bottom three? SBS and NYD are all time - but Red Light and the Refugee? Album version of 40 does NOTHING for me either. A 10 song album can't have 3 awful songs no matter how brilliant the other 7 are.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've never really "listened" to War because as a whole it never blew me away. However, Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day are classics(like you said), Two Hearts and Seconds are great. So 4 out of 10 are great or better but after that....I'm kind of with you.

40 is one of those songs that is very meh on the album but the live experience bumps it up a notch (5/10 to 6/10 for me). Its a good album but I don't hold it in the high regard as many U2 fans but I get it and dont question it. Also, I can see how it was such a leap forward from Boy and War that for fans who "lived it", that probably makes it very special for them(U2 really coming of age and starting to become "U2").

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Tend to agree. Everything except War. It's like the antithesis of this album. Can someone explain how War isn't their worst album, or at least bottom three? SBS and NYD are all time - but Red Light and the Refugee? Album version of 40 does NOTHING for me either. A 10 song album can't have 3 awful songs no matter how brilliant the other 7 are.

Like A Song just called me to say it is gonna kick your ass!1!11! :mad:

Sent from my ass crack

Like A Song just called me to say it is gonna kick your ass!1!11! :mad:

Sent from my ass crack

I love Like a Song and Drowning Man. I wasn't saying all 8 other songs were bad, just that when 30% of an album is clunkers, it's hard to call it one of their top 10 albums.

I've never really "listened" to War because as a whole it never blew me away. However, Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day are classics(like you said), Two Hearts and Seconds are great. So 4 out of 10 are great or better but after that....I'm kind of with you.

40 is one of those songs that is very meh on the album but the live experience bumps it up a notch (5/10 to 6/10 for me). Its a good album but I don't hold it in the high regard as many U2 fans but I get it and dont question it. Also, I can see how it was such a leap forward from Boy and War that for fans who "lived it", that probably makes it very special for them(U2 really coming of age and starting to become "U2").

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

See, Boy for me shits on War. Not one bad song. And some great songs - IWF, OOC, SFB, electric co, ATAP. I think War represents them running out of ideas in that style, hence reinvention with TUF. They nailed some songs, and ballsed up others.

I love Like a Song and Drowning Man. I wasn't saying all 8 other songs were bad, just that when 30% of an album is clunkers, it's hard to call it one of their top 10 albums.

Hold up wait a sec name me one top 10 U2 album after positions 1-, say, 4..that doesn't have 3 clunkers? They've only got 13 albums! Lol

War is right in the middle for me. It has some huge huge tracks and is quintessential U2. War is what made us know that U2 was THE most important band to follow, at that time ime

Sent from my ass crack

See, Boy for me shits on War. Not one bad song. And some great songs - IWF, OOC, SFB, electric co, ATAP. I think War represents them running out of ideas in that style, hence reinvention with TUF. They nailed some songs, and ballsed up others.

Glad there are others out there!!! I lost my best of U2 playlist, so after SOI came out I decided I needed to remake it. My best of does leave off a lot of the classics because I've heard them a million times. Hence, no Pride, but I include Wire, and TUF, etc...
I went through everything and the only thing I put on there off if War, was Two Hearts. SBS and NYD are great but don't need them on my list.
And I was really surprised at how little I really liked in the album. I like Drowning Man quite a bit as well, the rest, eh.

Crazy cause it was my introduction to the band, so I always held it in high regard. But I would listen to SOI or R&H, or Zooropa or Boy any day before that.

Hold up wait a sec name me one top 10 U2 album after positions 1-, say, 4..that doesn't have 3 clunkers? They've only got 13 albums! Lol

War is right in the middle for me. It has some huge huge tracks and is quintessential U2. War is what made us know that U2 was THE most important band to follow, at that time ime

Sent from my ass crack

Sure some do, but they are 11 or 12 song albums. 3 of 10 is just too damn high!

War makes that 2nd shelf for one major reason.... My sister dragged me to see this new (to me) band from Ireland... I so didn't want to go but of course that night started it for me... I look back now, you guys are prolly right out of War, Pop, Zooropa, ATYCLB that's probably lowest one on my list. I think it's a more personal thing for me.

War makes that 2nd shelf for one major reason.... My sister dragged me to see this new (to me) band from Ireland... I so didn't want to go but of course that night started it for me... I look back now, you guys are prolly right out of War, Pop, Zooropa, ATYCLB that's probably lowest one on my list. I think it's a more personal thing for me.

That's fair.

We went 5 years with near nothing and in the past year it was like a waste land when it came to getting a new album. Then, they drop 11 songs on us only to follow up with 10 more songs less than a month later

We didn't get "10 more songs". We got 10 more tracks, and only two of them are new songs. The others are different versions of songs we already had.

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but on the Japan pressing of the deluxe edition "The Crystal Ballroom (12" Mix)" is included as a bonus track. And "Invisible" is listed as a separate track, as well, instead of being hidden at the end of SLABT.

Back
Top Bottom