Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The melody, Private Cranky, the melody.
A Sort of Homecoming, that opening line, 'so you know it's time to go'. Those notes, in that order, repeat constantly throughout the song. It's great, but it isn't rocket science.
In 13 the verse melody isn't one repeating motif like that. It's a winding, flowing whole, more a narrative.
I wouldn't call 13 a masterpiece. But it's beautiful and heavy.

:up::up::up::up:

The melody, Private Cranky, the melody.
A Sort of Homecoming, that opening line, 'so you know it's time to go'. Those notes, in that order, repeat constantly throughout the song. It's great, but it isn't rocket science.
In 13 the verse melody isn't one repeating motif like that. It's a winding, flowing whole, more a narrative.
I wouldn't call 13 a masterpiece. But it's beautiful and heavy.

I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, but I don't plan to listen to 13 again to find out.

Cheers,

Field Marshal Cranky
New Zealand Expeditionary Force - West Island Provisional Government

I've given the album over 20 listens from start to finish(I've then listened to individual songs significantly more than others).

I'm likely known as an insufferable millennial U2 supporter, so I'm as far from the "it's millennial U2? Then it's garbage" crowd as there is and that of course means my opinion is the most important(of course it isn't).

I really like Song for Someone, it's a nice love song. It's not With or Without You, it's not Even Better than The Real Thing or Walk On, it's just a nice song that I enjoy.

13 has some very personal lyrics and I love the context of the song about him talking to his younger self who has just experienced a massive loss. The line "Darkness always gathers around the light" might be one of Bonos best lyrics.

With that said, sonically it falls flat for me. The song just meanders until it ends. There is nothing sonically that pulls me back into this song to want to hear it again. Its not a turd of a song but I just don't like it and the reuse of the SFS Chorus is unnecessary if for no other reason than it worked in SFS so why use it here? I'm not complaining about the reuse of the lyrics (I get the companion album concept and love the Iris reuse in LOH) but it just wasn't needed IMO.

13 has joined LIAWHL as the only 2 "skippers" on the album. Again, it's not a turd of a song but I give it a 5/10.

I'm not hugely into lyrics having to be objectively 'good' for me to like a song. Often I won't pay much attention unless I have a sudden urge to read the lyrics for whatever reason. But having said that, I found myself randomly thinking about 13's words days after having last listening to the song and it made a little more sense (and Song For Someone might be my least favourite song on SOI).

So while I get what some people are saying about multiple listens, nobody should feel like they have to put a lot of effort into liking a song. I'm sure each listener will use their own discretion on how much time to give a song and not make it feel like homework.

I like the album a lot and it's still growing for me. I hoped for more experimental songs as they were previewing the last years.
A bit more producing from the Lamb-man would have done better. LIAWHL is such a great song!
I hope they will sound a lot darker, mystical, emotional, angry on the next record. Say farewell to the multiple producer idea and bring on the golden team Lillywhite/Eno/Lanois. And... release some quick follow-ups, with no tours (or short ones).

I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, but I don't plan to listen to 13 again to find out.

What he said was totally coherent, you may as well have said "I don't have an actual response to this so I'll just be a smart ass so I can have the last word anyway".

What he said was totally coherent, you may as well have said "I don't have an actual response to this so I'll just be a smart ass so I can have the last word anyway".

You would know.

I like the album a lot and it's still growing for me. I hoped for more experimental songs as they were previewing the last years.
A bit more producing from the Lamb-man would have done better. LIAWHL is such a great song!
I hope they will sound a lot darker, mystical, emotional, angry on the next record. Say farewell to the multiple producer idea and bring on the golden team Lillywhite/Eno/Lanois. And... release some quick follow-ups, with no tours (or short ones).

I agree with every part of what you've said. LIAWHL is my favourite piece on the album, it's a shame that there aren't a couple more songs like this on SoE, which is a decent album but not one I go and listen to often.

“No, YOU are!”

What is this, third grade?

Kiwilad at least would have the good sense to know I had my tongue in cheek. But come on, you and I both know that we're two of the people least likely to let something go around here.

Is it just me or does Little Things seem out of place between Showman and Landlady? Thematically, I mean. Almost every other song is paired well that way.

poop-emoji-gif-7.gif

k2

Kiwilad at least would have the good sense to know I had my tongue in cheek. But come on, you and I both know that we're two of the people least likely to let something go around here.
I also noted your self promotion to field marshall. Fucking academics. Always bestowing titles upon themselves.

I also noted your self promotion to field marshall. Fucking academics. Always bestowing titles upon themselves.

That was no self promotion, that was acknowledgement of an Australian conquest well done!

Signed,

Field Marshall Sir Cranky ONZ
Superintendent of the West Island Provincial Government in the Federal Commonwealth of New Zealand

That was no self promotion, that was acknowledgement of an Australian conquest well done!

Signed,

Field Marshall Sir Cranky ONZ
Superintendent of the West Island Provincial Government in the Federal Commonwealth of New Zealand
Perhaps now is the time then to move the federation's capital from shaky Wellington to stable Gore.
How cool to have the captial of the New Zealand Austro-pelago being called Gore. Would scare the shit out of visiting dignitaries.

Perhaps now is the time then to move the federation's capital from shaky Wellington to stable Gore.
How cool to have the captial of the New Zealand Austro-pelago being called Gore. Would scare the shit out of visiting dignitaries.

I was thinking of messing with them by making the capital Taumata-whakatangihanga-koauau-o-Tamatea-haumai-tawhiti-ure-haea-turi-pukaka-piki-maunga-horo-nuku-pokai-whenua-ki-tana-tahu, in the southern Hawke's Bay.

Visiting dignitaries must pronounce it correctly or bring shame upon their country.

Fortunately, yes! I have, however, actually been to Taumata-long-name.

The "girly" "controversy" has already quieted down. I saw a few comments referring to it on a Rolling Stone tweet about the column, but that's it. It's not spreading like wildfire like the previous thing did.

I think it's mostly already forgotten, and rightfully so. Worth a tsking and a raised eyebrow, but no more than that.

I wonder if the timing of this column is based on the kerfuffle. It does have this line, which I think works as addressing the business. (It doesn't need to be an apology.)

"Sexism is rampant, conscious and unconscious. I'm still working on my own."

I just read the piece, and I immediately thought about that line in reaction to the " girly" comment.

Also well said words from Headache, Axver & Lazarus. Thanks.

As for SOE.....
Love it as much as I did early on (I got it later mid Dec) didn't play it for a few days when I couldn't find any of my earbuds for my CD player.
So I finally hooked it up to my boombox- which unfortunately doesn't have much bass- but at least I got to hear it again.

In the downtime I was singing pieces of or whole thing of my favorites. The lowest rating for me is still 'good', for the several songs that different people despise. :shrug:

The one that has grown for me is LIBTAIIW - from good/very good to very good/excellent. As it improved for me, I wassinging it too.

Will be back at my sib's who has a way better stereo, and I will hear it in it's glorious full sound! (played the first two songs before I had to leave- great stuff!)

Last edited:
Can I just say the liner notes video to SOE is excruciating to listen to. What is the point in doing that? Honestly the way Bono speaks today sounds nothing like his true voice...I don’t hear the Irish accent...it feels very proper?

I was thinking of messing with them by making the capital Taumata-whakatangihanga-koauau-o-Tamatea-haumai-tawhiti-ure-haea-turi-pukaka-piki-maunga-horo-nuku-pokai-whenua-ki-tana-tahu, in the southern Hawke's Bay.

Visiting dignitaries must pronounce it correctly or bring shame upon their country.

I believe it’s pronounced “shithole.”

Can I just say the liner notes video to SOE is excruciating to listen to. What is the point in doing that? Honestly the way Bono speaks today sounds nothing like his true voice...I don’t hear the Irish accent...it feels very proper?

I feel the exact opposite. I was so captivated by it, even though, honestly, the notes themselves are not as great as people have made them out to be.

I looooove his speaking voice these days, all low and rumbly*. He's never really had a big Irish accent in his 'normal' speaking voice.

*excuse my PLEBA moment, please

Back
Top Bottom