Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. It wouldn't shock me if they used it in a "Red Flag Day" (or even in a "Summer Of Love") video.
But this is just part of the problem. I could tolerate an animated video if it was good enough to support the concept. But it is not. The concept is simultaneously superficial, messy and poorly executed. There are parts where it seems the author (and/or the band) ran out of ideas.
The lyric video for "American Soul" surprisingly suceeds being more captivating.

Yeah I’m just mystified that they used this image for a song that has nothing to do with it, when there are two other songs that do, especially when both are accessible and could be singles themselves.

Yeah I’m just mystified that they used this image for a song that has nothing to do with it, when there are two other songs that do, especially when both are accessible and could be singles themselves.
Cause U2?

This is a band that wrote a song about New York City, and then filmed a video driving through New York City... for a faux Who tribute song about Bono's mom.

A band that took a song about Michael Hutchence hanging himself and made it into a video about an NFL kicker missing a field goal... with John Madden.

A band that made a video about a terror attack in Ireland for a song about Ali instead of Raised By Wolves.

Cause U2?

This is a band that wrote a song about New York City, and then filmed a video driving through New York City... for a faux Who tribute song about Bono's mom.

A band that took a song about Michael Hutchence hanging himself and made it into a video about an NFL kicker missing a field goal... with John Madden.

A band that made a video about a terror attack in Ireland for a song about Ali instead of Raised By Wolves.

Perhaps. But I don't think there's a rule out there saying that everything needs to be literal to the 't'. It's not like Stuck had to be a video about someone taking their life or sad enough to make me curl up like a fetus on the floor after watching it (or worse).

Same for the "not playing California live in the state of California" and other matters we all critique a bit more than what we probably should.

Perhaps. But I don't think there's a rule out there saying that everything needs to be literal to the 't'. It's not like Stuck had to be a video about someone taking their life or sad enough to make me curl up like a fetus on the floor after watching it (or worse).

Same for the "not playing California live in the state of California" and other matters we all critique a bit more than what we probably should.
There's a difference between "doesn't have to be a literal representation of the song's meaning" and "goofy football video narrated by John Madden"

Whoa whoa whoa. The only Stuck video that shall be recognized around here is the one with Bono repeatedly thrown out of a driving van for wearing a stupid jacket.

I think they used the same artist as for American Soul but the AS video was more successful. This one seems disjointed in its images and, I don’t know, the animation style or maybe the scene cuts don’t go with the music as well.

Inspired by this thread I decided to listen to (my version) of SOE after letting it rest for a couple of weeks. I'm struck by how American Soul has cast such a pall over this record for me. I'm irritated by it and I like the spoken word section written for Kendrick Lamar even less. SOE is the first "grab bag" U2 album for me. I went and redesigned it in iTunes, inserting the strings version of Lights of Home in place of the original, deleting American Soul and 13, and adding Book of Your Heart as the closer. Get Out of Your Own Way remains, but I can't help but agree with someone here who described it as "toothless."

I love most of the remaining songs, especially Little Things, and I've even warmed up to Best Thing. I just wouldn't have used it as a lead single. It works best as a deep album cut, a bouncy mood lifter that keeps the record moving along. SOE is a strong, but uneven, effort. My heart lies with SOI. That album hit me just right.

The more I listen to the record the more I think of how poor the Single choices were.
It's not as if they were stuck for choices.

If they were to release it again I'd have to go with Lights of Home (Strings) as the lead off single.
Then I would have followed up while things were still hot with a glorious 8 min version of Love is Bigger with the choir & strings with full Hey Jude outro.

Instead we got 2 milky white pop songs, someone dropped a bollock there.

LyhS.jpg

If U2 really wanna troll us they’ll release Landlady as the next single and it will be a music video of refugees crash landing a boat at the Statue of Liberty

Inspired by this thread I decided to listen to (my version) of SOE after letting it rest for a couple of weeks. I'm struck by how American Soul has cast such a pall over this record for me. I'm irritated by it and I like the spoken word section written for Kendrick Lamar even less. SOE is the first "grab bag" U2 album for me. I went and redesigned it in iTunes, inserting the strings version of Lights of Home in place of the original, deleting American Soul and 13, and adding Book of Your Heart as the closer. Get Out of Your Own Way remains, but I can't help but agree with someone here who described it as "toothless."

I love most of the remaining songs, especially Little Things, and I've even warmed up to Best Thing. I just wouldn't have used it as a lead single. It works best as a deep album cut, a bouncy mood lifter that keeps the record moving along. SOE is a strong, but uneven, effort. My heart lies with SOI. That album hit me just right.

SOI is a better album, IMO.

Larrys face [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]he doesn't look good does he. Definitely looks like he is having face jobs.

If there’s one good thing about the new video it’s that Larry looks the most enthusiastic he’s done in years.

Back
Top Bottom