Songs of Ascent VI and the Half-Blood Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
I know it is still 50 posts away, but I just wanted to use that name I am lame. And a bit f a nerd. Deal with it.

Song names discussed.

Every Breaking Wave (Bono has called it the 1st single)
Kingdom of Your Love (band intro song on 360)
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress
Not As Yet
Velvet Heart
House
If I Could Live My Life Again
Songs of Ascent
Anybody is a Star
Mercy
Winter

Conflicting news about release, recent news has suggested late 2010 or early 2011, although some hope still remains about the first half of 2010.

Without having heard a note of any these songs, I can safely say that "If I Could Live My Life Again" is easily the worst of the bunch

Considering I had no idea wtf "The Final Bell" was a reference to in the last title, I heartily approve of this one.

i don't even think the name of the next album will be "Songs Of Ascent", and i don't think it will come out this year. there's your ounce of positivity for the day. :)

the more i think about it, i would think U2 would want to release the album around Christmas this time, so my best guess is Oct/Nov 2011. i just don't see it happening at the end of this year. when they're on the road, they'll have too many new ideas in there head that they'll want to spend some more time on.

now with that said, i still think it would be a good idea for them to either release a strong single or an EP of NLOTH outtakes that they have no intentions of using for their next album. i just think the tour needs something new. even though the majority of die-hards love NLOTH, publicly it just isn't strong enough to carry the tour this year.

publicly it just isn't strong enough to carry the tour this year.

What? U2 doesn't need to be in support of any brand new material in order to have a massively successful tour. The name itself, and the back catalogue, is strong enough to carry a tour. If U2 is coming to town, people are going to want to go. It's not like people are going to say "They haven't released a new album in a year and a half so let's not go to the concert."

What? U2 doesn't need to be in support of any brand new material in order to have a massively successful tour. The name itself, and the back catalogue, is strong enough to carry a tour. If U2 is coming to town, people are going to want to go. It's not like people are going to say "They haven't released a new album in a year and a half so let's not go to the concert."

see i think some will say that.

and it's not just about the sales. it's that U2 obviously wish they had a bigger single from NLOTH. i'd be surprised if they weren't a little nervous going on the 2010 tour without anything new. that's just how the band thinks post Popmart.

A good portion of the tickets for this year's tour are already sold out. A pre-tour album would be a great move (especially for the fans like us), but they don't have to do it to make this section of 360 successful.

Oh and can I ask where 'Velvet Heart' and 'House' came from, those aren't names I've seen before.

A good portion of the tickets for this year's tour are already sold out. A pre-tour album would be a great move (especially for the fans like us), but they don't have to do it to make this section of 360 successful.

and i'm not saying that the financial success of the tour hinges on whether or not U2 releases anything before the tour. i'm referring to U2's mindset in regards to the show itself.

is U2 putting out a new album?
is our children learning??

is i am snow bound locked into by chains of white random fluffy stuff from the sky, cold as it falls wet as it lands on the ground....not with a big THUD or the sound of GOD clapping his hand....simply an understated little drop into a sea of eternal white suffering. It's rather pretty, but i dont like it.

Mikal,

I'm going to one-up you on the positivity:

My guess is we're going to see "Harry Potter and the Senior's Home Quilting Bee" before we get a U2 album.

Damn, I thought that since we've gone through 8 pages of the SOA threads in the last 12 hours, there must be some news.

Damn, I thought that since we've gone through 8 pages of the SOA threads in the last 12 hours, there must be some news.

Nope just boredom and of course "One".

Oh and :applaud: on the thread title. I was amused and really that's all that counts.

As for a new album, I'm completely flummoxed. I have no clue when or if or what it will be maybe? (Try figuring out that sentence.) At this point, I will just be happy that we have a new tour, even if they are playing old songs, because well it's a U2 tour.

Oh and has anyone seen Terry lately?

But I wonder if tickets would have sold out as fast if there wasn't the promise of another new album last Sept/Oct when tickets went on sale. SOA seemed to be a sure thing before the end of the 2009 leg of the tour, and I think talk of it helped ticket sales. While I think people in places who hadn't seen the show yet would still want to go even without a new album, I think the repeat ticket buyers from 2009 might have held off in seeing the show again.....

But I wonder if tickets would have sold out as fast if there wasn't the promise of another new album last Sept/Oct when tickets went on sale. SOA seemed to be a sure thing before the end of the 2009 leg of the tour, and I think talk of it helped ticket sales. While I think people in places who hadn't seen the show yet would still want to go even without a new album, I think the repeat ticket buyers from 2009 might have held off in seeing the show again.....

I saw them once last year, and will see them once this year. I gotta say, I'm not nearly as excited at the prospect of seeing the same show as I did a year ago with a few differences, if any. They might change out a couple NLOTH songs for songs they haven't played yet. They might drop Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet and replace them with Bullet the Blue Sky and All I want is you. They might play a different acoustic song. But that's probably the extent of it.

I dunno... really it's hard to complain about a U2 concert. Especially in 2 consecutive calendar years. And honestly, even if they play all of U218 and a few NLOTH songs, I'll still be in heaven. But it'd be great to have a new album.

I saw them once last year, and will see them once this year. I gotta say, I'm not nearly as excited at the prospect of seeing the same show as I did a year ago with a few differences, if any. They might change out a couple NLOTH songs for songs they haven't played yet. They might drop Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet and replace them with Bullet the Blue Sky and All I want is you. They might play a different acoustic song. But that's probably the extent of it.

I dunno... really it's hard to complain about a U2 concert. Especially in 2 consecutive calendar years. And honestly, even if they play all of U218 and a few NLOTH songs, I'll still be in heaven. But it'd be great to have a new album.

Ultaviolet and The Unforgettable Fire were among the highlights for me, I really hope they stay. I'm sure that the main components of the show will remain, but they'll certainly play around with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom