Songs of Ascent VI and the Half-Blood Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiderman has absolutely nothing to do with U2, it was a Bono/Edge project that won't effect any U2 releases.

That isn't necessarily so. We know that they want to convince the band to record at least some of the songs, and the marketing considerations would still be there.

That isn't necessarily so. We know that they want to convince the band to record at least some of the songs, and the marketing considerations would still be there.

But that would have to be after the fate of the play was determined, so my point is that it doesn't play any factor right now.

But that would have to be after the fate of the play was determined, so my point is that it doesn't play any factor right now.

That depends entirely on how they see it. Do they think the play is probably starting in 2010? They may even be being optimistic about it. If they think it is starting in 2010, then that could greatly effect when we get the next album.

Unfortunately NME.com is now reporting that Brian Eno is working in the studio with Coldplay. So I guess that kinda leaves us at even more of a loss. If indeed they are working, who are they working with??
At least we have a new Coldplay to look forward to in 2010.:wink:

That depends entirely on how they see it. Do they think the play is probably starting in 2010? They may even be being optimistic about it. If they think it is starting in 2010, then that could greatly effect when we get the next album.

Well to my knowledge we don't know how the contract was drafted but I would think if the play doesn't go through then U2 could record whatever they wanted, but if the play does go though I don't see U2 recording the songs. If they did any kind of soundtrack it would probably be with the actors/singers full orchestra, etc...

:drool: The suspense is bloody killing me!!!! How in the world do you say late 2008 that our next album will be SOA and the lead single will be Every Breaking Wave without only having to finish it up between tours!!! I know things change, but for godsakes it doesn't get much more concrete than an album title and lead single! We would have been better off with a double album!!! I think 2 forces are at work right now, the concern of releasing it off super sales season and that it's not good enought, but cmon, I'm sure it's great and why release another album after the tour that you wouldn't tour, u2 have never done that with a proper studio album. I wish NLOTH would have sold atleast double what it did and we would have SOA next month or the month after like an AB/Zooropa combo!!!

Tirade over, I've just never been this anxious since we have no news (hopefully a good thing) and such insider info. from late 2008!!!!!!!! :drool:

the frustrating thing is the uncertainty..when past albums were delayed, we still knew the aim was to perfect/finish that project. with Songs of Ascent, we don't know if we'll ever hear those songs as they once were.. the band is debating whether or not to finish and release an entire work. that's unprecented for u2 isn't it?

Well to my knowledge we don't know how the contract was drafted but I would think if the play doesn't go through then U2 could record whatever they wanted, but if the play does go though I don't see U2 recording the songs. If they did any kind of soundtrack it would probably be with the actors/singers full orchestra, etc...

I dunno! You may be 100% right or 100% wrong! :huh:

U2 should enter their Steely Dan phase, record about 4 killer albums without tours, then go all out with one last bang, the tour to end all tours...assuming they'd still be young enough to pull it off.

U2 should enter their Steely Dan phase, record about 4 killer albums without tours, then go all out with one last bang, the tour to end all tours...assuming they'd still be young enough to pull it off.

that would be my perfect scenario :drool::drool::drool::drool:

the frustrating thing is the uncertainty..when past albums were delayed, we still knew the aim was to perfect/finish that project. with Songs of Ascent, we don't know if we'll ever hear those songs as they once were.. the band is debating whether or not to finish and release an entire work. that's unprecented for u2 isn't it?
I would be incredibly dissapointed if we'll never hear a full Kingdom oEBW and some other songs that are/were planned for SOA.

Based on Bono's/the band's assertion that EBW is single-worthy (and even first single-worthy), we're pretty much guaranteed to hear it, even if nothing else surfaces from those sessions.

^

Maybe. We might hear some evolved form of it, but this band has a tendency to rewrite songs at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't be surprised if EBW is something else entirely by the time U2 13 (that's what I'm calling this next album, since SoA hasn't officially been announced) arrives.

Unfortunately NME.com is now reporting that Brian Eno is working in the studio with Coldplay. So I guess that kinda leaves us at even more of a loss. If indeed they are working, who are they working with??

:hmm: If they are indeed going for Edge's approach of more electronica inspired sounds, maybe the Fish Out of Water lads would be an interesting approach?
I mean the fans in general seem to appreciate the remixes they've done for the band and that means a lot since most U2 remixes are not as well received.

EW: Are you incorporating any electronic influences?
Edge: We try and keep things moving forward. We are experimenting with a lot of different arrangements, and electronic is one of the things we are playing with.

Source: U2's the Edge spills details on their new album: The Music Mix Q&A | EW.com

Also, Every Breaking Wave was described as having electronica influences:
  • Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansice drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knos that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.

Then there's the third version of Winter:
The interview was conducted on Tuesday. Earlier in the interview, Bono says Edge was working on an electronic version of "Winter" on Monday.

Source: U2 was in the studio this week

And lastly, the Twitter pictures of Edge's pedalboard in France. I underlined the pedals I suspect might give an electronica sound. Check Youtube for audio clips, I'm sure there are examples of what the different pedals sound like.

Top Row: Boss Fender Bassman / Lastgasp Art Laboratories Cyber Psychic Parametric Oscillation Filter / Moog MuRF / Electro-Harmonix Holier Grail Reverb
Middle: Custom Audio Electronics Boost/Overdrive
Bottom row: Electroharmonix POG / MXR Dynacomp / Digitech Synth Wah / Ampeg Scrambler / Digitech Whammy

Source: Twitter / The Edge: http://twitpic.com/qa6e2

If their usual producers all seem to be busy (Lanois/Neil Young, Lillywhite/Evanescence and Eno/Coldplay) it wouldn't be out of the way to expect some fresh blood to come in if they really want to get this out there soon. Perhaps with additional production by Jacknife Lee who the band worked with previously? Does anyone know what Flood might be up to? Perhaps it's time for a comeback?

That is a great theory, but it seems the boys are getting more cowardly with age. I doubt they try any new producers.

That is a great theory, but it seems the boys are getting more cowardly with age. I doubt they try any new producers.
I also suggested that they might approach Flood or --->

Chris Thomas, Rick Rubin..

Jacknife Lee who they worked with in the past. Edge also talked Michael Stipe into letting REM work with him so I think they like him.

By the way, I wonder if the rumoured "prototype guitar" is being developed with this possible electronica approach in mind?
"Edi", a member of the u2sound-forum wrote this post today:

"I was in berlin too, and the day after the show (when I got to meet bono and edge - I gave edge my bands cd's!!), i met dallas walking around the city (he was going to get some food) and we got to chat for 10 minutes. ...

And finally he said that he's working on a new prototype guitar for the edge, and once it's finished they'll sell the license to a guitar brand to build it for the market, but he's not going to reveal anything about it till it's finished. I suspect it might have something to do with matt bellamy's guitars from muse....!"

Source/Original post: Songs of Ascent - Part III
If this prototype is indeed inspired by Muse, then it further points towards an electronica influenced album as far as I can see.

I agree with the idea of all mentioned above. The worst thing they could do at this point is wait another year or two to realease some new music. I hope they take a chance! :drool:

I don't think what we refer to as "Songs of Ascent" will ever make it out there, at least not this year. Every decade for U2 has ended with an album that wasn't as critically acclaimed as the ones before it (Rattle & Hum, Pop, NLOTH) and what has happened each time? Yes, they "dream it all up again" (Achtung Baby and ATYCLB, although the latter one was more a "return" to their roots than experimenting).

I'd love a new album this year, but I'm not sure U2 wants to release a full album right now. I think they all just want to get back on the road and then leave this era behind them to then focus on something completely new. A fourth single this May/June (Moment of Surrender, perhaps?) with leftovers from the NLOTH-sessions as B-Sides sounds plausible to me. New album this year? No way.

I don't think what we refer to as "Songs of Ascent" will ever make it out there, at least not this year. Every decade for U2 has ended with an album that wasn't as critically acclaimed as the ones before it (Rattle & Hum, Pop, NLOTH) and what has happened each time? Yes, they "dream it all up again" (Achtung Baby and ATYCLB, although the latter one was more a "return" to their roots than experimenting).

I'd love a new album this year, but I'm not sure U2 wants to release a full album right now. I think they all just want to get back on the road and then leave this era behind them to then focus on something completely new. A fourth single this May/June (Moment of Surrender, perhaps?) with leftovers from the NLOTH-sessions as B-Sides sounds plausible to me. New album this year? No way.

Gotta have atleast an EP before the tour to say we're back and they're not going to do it with MOS from an early 2009 album, it's been too long! If the EP does not include Every Breaking Wave then that's a save for the next album, March will be a pivotal month!

I don't expect any big announcement about a producer because....um.... the album was at least 80% done a year ago and produced by Eno & Lanois!

I think the boys can take care of 2-3 songs TOPS by themselves!

They're just being coy. Wait and see......

I don't expect any big announcement about a producer because....um.... the album was at least 80% done a year ago and produced by Eno & Lanois!

I think the boys can take care of 2-3 songs TOPS by themselves!

They're just being coy. Wait and see......

I think you're right here, I'm just getting a little nervous now, but I predicted that we wont here anything until mid-late March so I just have to keep the faith.

A radio station in Tampa announced this morning that U2 is back in the studio working on a new album. Not many other details than that, and they might be citing old news, but it's still nice to hear that over the radio when you least expect it.

I heard the same in a local radio station here except they said that U2 wasn't happy with their last (NLOTH) album so they were releasing this one with some oldies in there and that it would be released by june. But i am quite sure it is just old information.

I heard the same in a local radio station here except they said that U2 wasn't happy with their last (NLOTH) album so they were releasing this one with some oldies in there and that it would be released by june. But i am quite sure it is just old information.

What do they mean by "oldies?" Do they mean "hit singles?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom