Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said when the album first came out and still believe this is the best ballad they've done since One. It must be one of the American singles.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd rather have Bono shouting about African dreams and singing lines from The Lion King like he did in Vertigo Tour than have this song lead into Streets.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I'd rather have Bono shouting about African dreams and singing lines from The Lion King like he did in Vertigo Tour than have this song lead into Streets.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Worst intro ever!!!!!

"Africa....Africa....." Way to fucking ruin the intro. Who can we talk to about turning his mic off for the 1 min 30 sec of Edge, Adam and Larry bliss????

It is waaaay better than crazy, which in itself isnt a track that i hate.
However it does kind of smack of pandering to the Simon Cowell generation eg that it's a song that can be song acoustically in the style of adelle and can be sung in the future by someone, hopefully to win the x factor.
The add-in from crazy tonight is the worst part of the song but the opening line runs it close, you can almost hear Bono's snug smile when he sings it.
That said, the melody is lovely and apart from the bits I have mentioned it's a decent effort, though I do think that Invisible and TCB should have taken its place on the album.

It is waaaay better than crazy, which in itself isnt a track that i hate.
However it does kind of smack of pandering to the Simon Cowell generation eg that it's a song that can be song acoustically in the style of adelle and can be sung in the future by someone, hopefully to win the x factor.
The add-in from crazy tonight is the worst part of the song but the opening line runs it close, you can almost hear Bono's snug smile when he sings it.
That said, the melody is lovely and apart from the bits I have mentioned it's a decent effort, though I do think that Invisible and TCB should have taken its place on the album.

Because song performances acoustically were never done before X factor and Simon Cowell ?

Ugh, thank you. I hate that about SFS. It's the production I think. Very sterile and lacking intimacy, plus the arrangement sounds pre-packaged. Of fucking course a swell of strings was going to come in when Bono bellows the name of the song. Everyone knows it's coming and I guess the band views that as a comforting thing. It's too plastic and predictable. Then Edge's guitar solo sounds like it was copy/pasted from a different song (Crazy Tonight?). There's nothing inspired here.

I was hoping for creaky acoustic guitar and Bono closely harmonizing with Edge on the acoustic take, but instead they went with piano. Blah.

Last edited:
I do think that Invisible and TCB should have taken its place on the album.

I disagree with that. TCB is good but definitely sounds like B side quality. It just doesn't sound album-ready to me. It's a bit too subdued. As for Invisible, yeah maybe it should've been included on the album.

And so what if something sounds like it could be covered on X Factor in future??? It is not the song or artist's fault that it is being covered on a crap show. :huh: As U2girl says, songs have been done in acoustic settings long before Simon Cowell.

I disagree with that. TCB is good but definitely sounds like B side quality. It just doesn't sound album-ready to me. It's a bit too subdued. As for Invisible, yeah maybe it should've been included on the album.

:yes: Invisible in place of Miracle.

TCB, pass. Overhyped bonus song that doesn't belong on the album, like Fast cars or Ground beneath her feet.

TCB is not a b-side; it was on the 2nd disc just to promote the album. Edge said that they are considering it for a single......
And yeah, Invisible should've definitely opened the album. Great song.

TCB is not a b-side; it was on the 2nd disc just to promote the album. Edge said that they are considering it for a single......
And yeah, Invisible should've definitely opened the album. Great song.

Yep, Invisible instead of Miracle
Lucifer Hands insted Cedarwood

The album would be on the same level as JT or Achtung.

So, haven't heard the album in a while, decided to give it another spin today. This song really stuck out to me as a highlight. I always enjoyed it, but for whatever reason this particular reason really hit right on.

Yep, Invisible instead of Miracle
Lucifer Hands insted Cedarwood

I can agree with that. Invisible is a much, much better song than Miracle, and I think starting off the album with a big crunchy guitar riff was a real error. I liked Lucifer's Hands right away and like it more and more as I go on, while I have to try hard to tolerate Cedarwood.

Lucifer's Hands is honestly one of my least favorite U2 songs of the last few eras. It goes absolutely nowhere.

Crystal Ballroom, on the other hand, should have been on the album. That song is a lot of fun.

I'm praying for TCB to be played live.
How amazing would a Crystal Ballroom-Lemon-Discotheque-The Fly-Acrobat encore be.....

Lucifer's Hands is honestly one of my least favorite U2 songs of the last few eras. It goes absolutely nowhere.

Crystal Ballroom, on the other hand, should have been on the album. That song is a lot of fun.

It is certainly one of the best songs they have made last couple of years, but it doesn´t fit the album at all :(

The edges humming in the background in the second verse is what saves song for someone for me

I think some of you people are missing the entire concept of this album.

I was in starbucks this morning waiting for my latte to be made.

Guy finishes making a drink (somebody else's), and lifts up the cup to read the name on the side and call it out. Apparently the name was illegible, because the guy said

"This is a soy latte... for someone"

In the exact same phrasing and pace that Bono sings that line (the starbucks guy didn't sing it but it was dead on other than that).

I busted out laughing and I don't think anybody else in the whole place had any clue why.

Then I drank my coffee and became a normal human being again.

Back
Top Bottom