Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a love song, I don't find it to be conventional or paint by numbers U2. The lyrics are nice and the chorus works. Translates very well acoustically.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Why don't we have polls any more? I would love to get the average rating from people here (unless I missed something).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I've been playing this song constantly for the past few days. It's constantly in my head. And whenever I listen to it, I cry. Not just a tear trickling down my cheek. Sobbing! It is so heartfelt, so beautiful and of course, it's Bono singing about Ali.

How anyone can reject the work of a band capable of music like this is beyond my understanding.

This song should be a bland and boring pop song. Its starts off as a snoozer and the lyrics are straight forward for a love song and yet I keep checking my play count on iTunes and its in my top 3 most played! I'm finding that this song is becoming one of my favorites.

The lyrics, as straight forward as they are, are relatable and the chorus with Edges backing vocals is beautiful and soars. This might be one of the most disliked songs from SOI here (perhaps only behind Volcano and The Miracle) but it's climbing my list fast.

I picture this song being played acoustically live and everyone in the arena/stadium singing together "and this is a Soooooooooooooong for Someone" as loud as they can.

I like the song, but my idea for it's live performance centers around a large exodus to the bathroom.

Unless they do something like they did on Vertigo and start the first encore acoustic, like when they did The First Time.

I was listening to this song again today as I seem to keep gravitating to it and I picked up on why this song is addictive to me(one of the reasons).

The bass! I didn't really hear it the first hundred listens and then today it jumped out at me during the chorus. Its a really nice bass beat coupled with some really nice guitar chiming.

As I listened to it I realized that this song, that so many do not like here, is going to be a single. I don't know if it will be #2,3 or 4 but it's going to be a single.

I don't know if i, or any U2 song for that matter, can succeed at radio anymore but this would be perfect on AAA and Adult AC.

Anyway, I'm still digging this song.... A lot.

As I listened to it I realized that this song, that so many do not like here, is going to be a single. I don't know if it will be #2,3 or 4 but it's going to be a single.

Agree that the band intended this song to be a single. I really like this song along with Iris and Troubles but I must say after a month of listening to these songs, SFS has stood up the best to repeated listenings. I was really drawn to Iris on my first few listens but I can see why SFS is Track 4 and Iris is Track 5. SFS is better and I believe it will be released as a single.

I was listening to this song again today as I seem to keep gravitating to it and I picked up on why this song is addictive to me(one of the reasons).

The bass! I didn't really hear it the first hundred listens and then today it jumped out at me during the chorus. Its a really nice bass beat coupled with some really nice guitar chiming.

I don't know if i, or any U2 song for that matter, can succeed at radio anymore but this would be perfect on AAA and Adult AC.

Anyway, I'm still digging this song.... A lot.

I like the song also, and agree that it will be a single (whatever a "single" means anymore in terms of this record).

I think the verses are beautiful.
The chorus is where it all falls flat for me. On the Graham Norton show Bono saved it by injecting all his passion into that chorus, which - to me - brought it alive. On the album it's just kinda .... there.

Still a good song though.

Song has gotten better for me. First I thought I was going to skip it like So Cruel on AB but this song is better than So Cruel. At this point I can't really say any song on SOI is one I would skip. The "weak" songs on SOI are greater than the weak songs of any U2 album. I remember listening to AB after the ridicule and misunderstanding. Late one night as I was falling to sleep...this is a great album...I have had the same experience with Son gs of Innocence.

Agreed with all the positive comments here. It's an easy song to hate on because of its simplicity but it really is executed well. Not a fan of the solo but it doesn't bother me enough to troll this thread or anything.

You can do better than this Mikal - just look to the TCB solo evaluation series for inspiration

Sent from my ass crack

Ok fine.

SFS solo is a Coldplay rewrite.

Song For Someone walks into Crazy Tonight territory during one section of the song. IMO Still a lovely little track and one I enjoy more than SYCMIOYO.

Song For Someone is way better than Crazy Tonight. No contest!

Lyrically, it's 100% better.

Crazy has a nice sound to it and it's catchy vs SFS that while it sounds a bit dull at first, the song shows its layers at it progresses.

In the end, SFS is superior to Crazy and to a lot of other songs too!

I'm a SFS lover!!!!!

I actually do think there's a good song somewhere in Crazy Tonight. One of its problems is that once the song starts, the song is basically the same throughout. There's no build up, it just coasts on its own from beginning to end.

The Blackberry commercial version was definitely an improvement, where there actually was a build up and a different verse. Not as spastic.

The live version was also much better, and probably closer to what it should've been. There's definitely a song in there somewhere.

As for Song for Someone, it's probably my least favorite on the new album, but it's grown on me a bit. I used to skip it, but I haven't lately.

I actually do think there's a good song somewhere in Crazy Tonight. One of its problems is that once the song starts, the song is basically the same throughout. There's no build up, it just coasts on its own from beginning to end.

The Blackberry commercial version was definitely an improvement, where there actually was a build up and a different verse. Not as spastic.

Hrmm, I never heard the Blackberry commercial version.

Back
Top Bottom