Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I'm a looooooong, long-long way from your hill of cavalry. *love this line*
And I'm a looooooong, way from where I was, where I need to be.

Sheesh, beautifully sung.
Bono battling for Ali's love.

It's a good song but it's down on the bottom for me at this point. It'll be interesting to see how this does live. The lyrics at the end are really good. This is the closest to Crazy tonight MOR stuff though I do like it better than anything on the last Coldplay album.

i fully expect this to be the third single (after every breaking wave). too much tedder involvement for it not to be a single.

i will say, i got some of the teenagers at my church to pull the album in from icloud and this is the song that they all love. so, hey, maybe the plans for a hit single will finally work after 10 years of compromising your work in order to try and be played on the radio :|

Surprised we're the only ones who seem to have noticed this. It's like Edge cut and pasted his solo from that song into this one.

And it's not exactly an impressive one worth repeating, he probably thought it sounded like a stallion galloping but to me is more like a drunk unicorn farting rainbows. Cheesy as fuck.

I'm usually the worst person at noticing if a part of a song sounds like part of a different song. But this one jumped right out at me. Some other tracks on SoI to me have miniscule similarities to past songs, but none as obvious as this. Why come so close to repeating a solo that was in your most recent release?

Other than that, this song was the first (and admittedly only) one that gave me the familiar 'U2 chills' upon first complete listen. Who knows if I'll still like it the more I get acquainted with the other songs. The others are already growing on me quite a bit after 5ish listens.

If this song gets a wacky facelift, it would be number one material.
It's too acoustic, needs more electronic ambience.

The singing on this track, is sublime at the beginning.
The 'yeah' ending is disappointing.

This one was stuck in my head this morning. Really grown on me.

That second "I was told I'd feel NOTHING the first time" is one of my favorite vocal moments on the album... so much anger and surprise and pride. :sad:

If I'm in the mood it's an okay song but I don't see this as being a big single other than on Adult Contemporary charts. It's incredibly well sung though.

Have to be in the right mood for this one. Agreed that the singing is great but it's a little over the top. I could see some casuals loving this and some hating it. Might be good for adult contemporary radio as I don't see pop stations picking it up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That second "I was told I'd feel NOTHING the first time" is one of my favorite vocal moments on the album... so much anger and surprise and pride. :sad:

It really is. That vocal is one of the highlights of the album. I think I keep listening to this song almost solely due to this vocal.

Have to be in the right mood for this one. Agreed that the singing is great but it's a little over the top. I could see some casuals loving this and some hating it. Might be good for adult contemporary radio as I don't see pop stations picking it up.

Exactly. It's a good song, and I don't hate it, but it's the weakest on the album. It's "safe", which I believe has been said a few times already.

I'm still not into this one. This and California are the part of the album I'm not into. Things then pick up with Iris and then just get more and more interesting.

My secret "inner-Journey-with-Steve-Perry" fan really likes this song. It's great for the classic rock ballad that it is.

Might be good for adult contemporary radio as I don't see pop stations picking it up.

I can totally see pop stations picking this up ala Say Something, and All of Me. Song for Someone's vocal is just as good. Ok he's no John Legend but he holds his own.:sexywink: The length of the song is perfect for pop stations as well.

I think that this one evolved from North Star, just listen to the last verse..I´m surprised no one else suggested this :hmm:

Yep. I had mentioned this very early on. I also hear a hint of Thank You in Sleep Like A Baby Tonight.

It's an understated classic the way Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own was only better in my opinion. If it can find it's way into a movie soundtrack it would be HUGE. Imagine it playing during the ending scene and credits of Hunger Games or something.

Really cool just heard this song blasting in a car in Philly by kids much younger than I. love hearing U2 on the street.

Sent from my XT1058 using U2 Interference mobile app

middle of the pack for me, but still think it's great. I think it would be a good single - my wife is a casual u2 fan and this is her favorite one.

If Songs Of Innocence could be compared to Zooropa in a way (for me, both adventurous LP's) Song for Someone it's the "Stay". It's simple, pop, safe but yet it's a gorgeous song, great lyric, the naivite of love.

On first listen I didn't get this feeling, but now I'm liking so much, could be a great live moment.

For me, the best on the album. It's on one repeat :)
I like the build-up, Edge's background humming, the melodic guitar (of which I'm having trouble hearing the resemblance to Crazy) and the way the drums are going achtung baby style in the end.

Back
Top Bottom