Something to keep in mind when the new single leaks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Slow Loris

War Child
Here's a question for you: Out of the three new songs U2 recorded at Abbey Road, which song -- in order of best to worst -- do you think U2 will include on U218? Do you see them putting the 3rd best song on it so they can save the best two songs for the next studio album? Or do you see them putting the best song on it to promote it well -- and thereby wasting a potential classic that could make the next album great?

Personally, I expect that it will be the weakest of the three new songs.

This is why I suggest caution with expectations of this song. Before you come on here and criticize it too much, just remember -- it's the weakest song of the three they recorded. A throwaway single for a singles album.

At least that's my guess. What do you think?

Well, what someone might consider "best" could be "worst" to someone else...

More than anything, I'd like a song that will indicate the sound they're getting with Rubin. I don't think it will be a classic.

yeah, somehow "hey guys, lets release the worst of these new songs" doesn't strike me as a strong marketing plan.

It might not be a 'best' or 'worst' scenario. As said, it might be a single-worthy scenario. They might have recorded, for example, a Vertigo and a One Step Closer and then that would be a no brainer.

I'm also just interested to hear Rubin's touch. I also sincerely hope the band is steering away from their current favoured two word production technique: "FUCKIN' LOUD!!!!"

I figure U2 would pick which ever song they feel is the most complete. That may not be the one they feel has the most potential, or may not even be the one they feel is the "best" song. They werent in the studio for all that long, so whichever song they managed to complete to their satisfaction is what I imagine we'll be hearing soon.

I realize that "best song" is subjective, so maybe a better way of saying it is an "impact" song. Would they waste the song that has the most potential on a singles compilation? I imagine the three songs they recorded are ALL single worthy. But invariably one will be stronger than the others. I don't believe they would use this one on the singles compilation for the reasons I stated in my first post.

So my basic point is this: don't have mind blowingly high expectations. And you will be pleasantly surprised.

:)

skott100 said:
yeah, somehow "hey guys, lets release the worst of these new songs" doesn't strike me as a strong marketing plan.
I'm sorry, I should have made myself more clear, as that was not my point whatsoever. All three songs are great in their own ways, I'm sure. But 'Sweetest Thing', for example, isn't as much an impact song as 'Kite'. 'Sweetest Thing' is a great single, sure, but it's much more throwaway. Maybe I should have asked, will this singles compilation single be a throwaway single or will it be a high impact song? For the reasons I stated earilier, I think it will be more a throwaway single type of song. Of course, I may be wrong. But I'm not expecting to hear another 'With or Without You' or 'Streets' on a singles album. That's why I don't see them going with something too special.

And I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised going in with this mind set.

My friends: you haven't noticed what's is cristal clear:

:cool:

It seems the band will release U2 18 in chronological order, right?, in this case Window In The Sky MUST BE a ballad or a slow song :reject:

Every single U2 album from War onwards, including the 2 Best ofs, have featured a ballad or a slow song in the last track, let's see:

"40"
MLK
Mothers Of The Disappeared
All I Want Is You
Love Is Blindness
The Wanderer
Wake Up Dead Man
All I Want Is You (Best of 1980-1990)
Grace
The First Time (Best of 1990-2000)
Yahweh

So it's pretty obvious that Window In The Sky won't be a rocker at all

ponkine said:

It seems the band will release U2 18 in chronological order, right?, in this case Window In The Sky MUST BE a ballad or a slow song :reject:

Why do you think it would be released in chronological order? U2 haven't done this with their two previous compilations, so I see no reason why they would do this now. I still strongly believe that Window on The Sky (Windows in The Sky or whatever) will turn out to be 402.

The Slow Loris said:

I'm sorry, I should have made myself more clear, as that was not my point whatsoever. All three songs are great in their own ways, I'm sure. But 'Sweetest Thing', for example, isn't as much an impact song as 'Kite'. 'Sweetest Thing' is a great single, sure, but it's much more throwaway. Maybe I should have asked, will this singles compilation single be a throwaway single or will it be a high impact song? For the reasons I stated earilier, I think it will be more a throwaway single type of song. Of course, I may be wrong. But I'm not expecting to hear another 'With or Without You' or 'Streets' on a singles album. That's why I don't see them going with something too special.

I actually think that you're pretty spot-on. :shrug:

Think of it this way: "album-worthy" or "compilation-worthy." To me, "album-worthy" is a higher standard. I'm not expecting an album-worthy song.

We could, of course, still see this on the next album, a la Beautiful Day. But I'm just thinking this one will be more along the lines of Electrical Storm than a mind-blower like Beautiful Day.

The Slow Loris said:

I think perhaps I came off as snarky towards you. I meant to be reassuring as in "Don't worry, it'll be a solid song." :wink:

theparlortricks said:
Electrical Storm is so much better than Beautiful Day I don't even know how to address this thread.

Yeah, I probably was a bit dramatic in my comparison of the two...

Though I do still think the odds are higher that we'll see something that won't quite fit in with an album. Of course, that's partly just me hoping that we get a nice, complete album this go-round, with its own distinct feel again, instead of a collection of songs....

I just read somewhere (current issue of Rolling Stone, maybe?) that Window in the Sky is supposed to be in the same vein as COBL.

My guess is that they'll go with whatever they think will fit the flow of the record the best.

Although, one argument in favor of going with the 'greatest' of the 3 would be that this song has to hold it's own against supposedly the greatest songs of U2's career.

Personally, I'm not sure if that scenario can happen because I suspect the 4 members of the band probably have differing opinions on what the 'best' of the 3 are. So that leaves us back to whichever one 'fits in' the best.

Slow Loris confuses me. It's going in with no expectations for the new song to be pleasantly surprised but knows that its gonna sound like thrill me, swtst thng, and whatever and that u2 recorded exactly three songs at abbey. hmmm... are we really being asked our opinion or told the inevitable?

t8thgr8 said:
Slow Loris confuses me. It's going in with no expectations for the new song to be pleasantly surprised but knows that its gonna sound like thrill me, swtst thng, and whatever and that u2 recorded exactly three songs at abbey. hmmm... are we really being asked our opinion or told the inevitable?
As Bono's good friend Sam Sheppard once said, "At the center of contradiction is the place to be. It's where the heat is, where the energy is." :wink:

Utoo said:

I actually think that you're pretty spot-on. :shrug:

Think of it this way: "album-worthy" or "compilation-worthy." To me, "album-worthy" is a higher standard. I'm not expecting an album-worthy song.

We could, of course, still see this on the next album, a la Beautiful Day. But I'm just thinking this one will be more along the lines of Electrical Storm than a mind-blower like Beautiful Day.
Finally, someone who isn't a slow loris who understands! In all seriousness, I like your distinction: that's exactly what I was trying to get at -- "album worthy" vs. "compilation-worthy". And I agree with you.... album worthy is definitely a higher standard, and actually has been when you look at new songs put on compilation albums. INXS comes to mind. I can't even remember that tripe they called a song that they put on one of their greatest hits albums to promote it. However, didn't Lenny Kravits put 'Again' on his greatest hits album? That was up there with his album worthy songs... so I guess nothing's definite.

The Slow Loris said:

Finally, someone who isn't a slow loris who understands! In all seriousness, I like your distinction: that's exactly what I was trying to get at -- "album worthy" vs. "compilation-worthy". And I agree with you.... album worthy is definitely a higher standard, and actually has been when you look at new songs put on compilation albums. INXS comes to mind. I can't even remember that tripe they called a song that they put on one of their greatest hits albums to promote it. However, didn't Lenny Kravits put 'Again' on his greatest hits album? That was up there with his album worthy songs... so I guess nothing's definite.

yep. i would second your way of thinking also. speaking of INXS, "These Are The Times" is a great song, that fit perfectly on their Greatest Hits album.

i kind of wish that "All My Life" was the new single for the new Best Of. it's a great sounding song, that could actually really work well in this kind of situation.

of course it's going to be a mediocre song. just think of sweetest thing or electrical storm.

Back
Top Bottom