Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a fairly recent U2 convert (ATYCLB), so my first real experience with U2 is the arena-rock 2 albums of this decade, with a healthy discovery of past albums (Achtung Baby is my favourite)

Proper Rock Stars = Macphisto, Superbowl, Atomic Bomb U2... I appreciate the rootsy stuff, but its on the bottom of the ladder for me.

Here's what I'm trying to get at... I'm not following your definitions. Mac was a making fun of rock stars. Superbowl, OK, but what was rock star about it? The music or the star?

What is rootsy about anything on NLOTH? What is "rootsy" music.

Not trying to be smart ass, just curious about your terminology. I'm having a hard time following...

Is Thom Yorke rock star? Is Steven Tyler rock star? Is Marilyn Manson rock star?

Is Neil Young rootsy? Is Ray Charles rootsy?

I think what the dude is trying to say is that a proper rock star is defined by the music that guy likes. If he hates Zooropa then Zooropa wasn't made by proper rock stars. If he likes Zooropa then Zooropa was made by proper rock stars.

One more thing, and i'm not trying to be a condescending asshole or know it all smartass, but there really is no such thing as a proper rock star.

Crazy Tonight's lyrics are so poor that they're almost Chris Martin-esque in terms of their sheer 'spit / hit / see it' awfulness. Given that NLOTH features the superb words of something like 'Cedars of Lebanon', such laziness is unforgivable.

Wellllll, CoL isn't exactly a model of work ethic:

Child drinking dirty water from the river bank
Soldier brings oranges he got out from a tank

JMO, but I don't think Sancty is talking about "rock star" in the strictest sense, I think he/she is talking about how U2 embraces that rock stardom.

And clearly the ZooTv and POPmart U2 (or even the 80's U2) had a different idea about it than 21st century U2. So there are different versions of U2, as it relates to that idea.

Is it any wonder that someone might prefer one of those different U2's over another? And given Sancty's preferences (ATYCLB + HTDAAB + Crazy Tonight + Stand Up Comedy) it makes pretty good sense to me. The only thing that is slightly surprising is Sancty's affection for the title track to NLOTH over Breathe, which to me, is much more in that other vein.

BVS, leave him alone.

A "proper" rock star, I think a third grader can interpret to mean basically the rock star sterotype which U2 most definately are sans the sex and drugs. Spinal Tap turned back to 10. Though with the Claw, maybe still at 11.

NLOTH for me:

NLOTH - Still love it. Just have heard it to much. 4/5
Mag - Still a thinly sung disco song that quickly turns pedestrian after a brilliant intro 2.5/5
MOS - Used to be a 4/5. Then I listed to it and So Cruel back to abck and now its a 3/5.
Unknown Calller - Refuses to grow on me despite the guitar. 2/5
Crazy - Started out as one of the more pedestrian songs for me. Surprisingly proved to be the one next to the title track with the most staying power. Still could've been better. The live version is stupid. 4/5
GOYB - If only the "Let Me In The Sound" part was in the rest of the song. Learning that my favorite part of the song is programmed for the live version was a horrendous letdown. Otherwise, still sounds like a 60's pop retread with thed drum fills and subject matter. 2/5
SUC - Love the lyrics, the guitar, and some of the studio moments but still missing the blazing guitar solo and the whole thing sounds like it was assembled bit by bit in a ProTools factory. 3/5
Fez-BB - NLOTH without the hook. 2.5/5
White As Snow - I didn't like One Step Closer, don't like this - 1.5/5
Breathe - Was meh, then grew to my favorite song on the album, then went meh on me again. Has no business opening a U2 show - 3/5.
Ceders - Exceptional visuals, but that's about it - 1.5/5
Winter - Love it. Wish it were finished. 3.5/5

Overall, while I prefer NLOTH over ATYCLB or HTDAAB, I'm more disappointed by it now then I ever was with those two albums in the year of their respective releases.

A "proper" rock star, I think a third grader can interpret to mean basically the rock star sterotype which U2 most definately are sans the sex and drugs. Spinal Tap turned back to 10. Though with the Claw, maybe still at 11.

Indeed.

But their presumed definition of "rootsy" still makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

The best I compare NLOTH to is a combination of October and AB/Zooropa... I'm not sure where any of that is 'rootsy'.

BVS, leave him alone.

I asked a simple question. And see even given your "definition" doesn't work with theirs, and that's my whole point. Calm down.

See? Zwervers gets it, I don't know why he doesn't!

billy.idol.2004.jpg

Hi people!!! After a very long time with no posts i'm here again.
So what did i miss??? Hum, let me see... watching everyone going to a concert except me. That's frustating...

Ok... after six months i think No Line was nothing near what they (U2) antecipated. Not just in terms of lack o inovation(i dont care much about that) but the created a notion that this would be a above de average U2 album, that it had something magic going on. Errr it didn't.

Its clear to me now that the special U2, that aural sense of out-of this-world "musiccraftmanship" ended in AB. Until that period their music was something magical, strong, enduring. Now i see that the last three album were good colection of songs but nothing near special as the pre-AB era.

No line, six months ago, was miles better than Leave Behind and Bomb, but now is just on par with them. Magnificent, UC, MOS, Breathe; good songs, but none of them is a world-grabbing-special-unique song like One, Pride, Stay....

Yes, this is a little sad....

NLOTH is part of U2s underachievers trilogy (ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH):down::down::down:

its time for a CHANGE...fuck the 2000s and kiss the 2010s:wave:

Hi people!!! After a very long time with no posts i'm here again.
So what did i miss??? Hum, let me see... watching everyone going to a concert except me. That's frustating...

Ok... after six months i think No Line was nothing near what they (U2) antecipated. Not just in terms of lack o inovation(i dont care much about that) but the created a notion that this would be a above de average U2 album, that it had something magic going on. Errr it didn't.

Its clear to me now that the special U2, that aural sense of out-of this-world "musiccraftmanship" ended in AB. Until that period their music was something magical, strong, enduring. Now i see that the last three album were good colection of songs but nothing near special as the pre-AB era.

No line, six months ago, was miles better than Leave Behind and Bomb, but now is just on par with them. Magnificent, UC, MOS, Breathe; good songs, but none of them is a world-grabbing-special-unique song like One, Pride, Stay....

Yes, this is a little sad....

Man , I wish you were wrong.:sad:

well you are a bit actually. It ended after POP. :wink:

Man , I wish you were wrong.:sad:

well you are a bit actually. It ended after POP. :wink:

In MY day we had to walk to school! Uphill! All three ways!!!!

And the donuts tasted soooooo much better! NOt like that crap they make today!

Oh, and the kids with their rock n roll.... so noisy! Such ruffians! Where are the real gentlemen like Billy Idol and David Lee Roth! Now that was music! That was sophisticated! Those were some snappy numbers that you could dance to!

It's all gone to crap.....

"I don't believe in the 60s, the golden age of pop. You glorify the past, the future dries up!"

Seriously, I think NLOTH is an amazing record. I'm sorry that it doesn't work (YET) for some of you....

Niceman, your suggestion seems to be this: the opinion of U2's being a bit past their most vital period makes the opinion-holder stuck in the past!

Do I have that right?

I think that is pretty wrong. It's almost universal in rock music that people under 40 make the more vital music. There are some obvious reasons for this -- rock music is fast, vital, visceral, and a bit 'in the moment' rather than eternal. These are all qualities that tend to come from youth. Rock is also quite simple, musically, and thus after 10 or 20 years groups run out of new variations on the same themes. U2 have obviously done extremely well in fighting the middle-age flab, and should be given credit for maintaining their mammoth commercial appeal, as well as for the energy of their live shows.

However, I don't think there's any reasonable way to say that anything they've done after their mid- to late-30s has been new, different, or overly vital. It's been good, perhaps, but not career-defining or new.

(I say this as someone who considers Atomic Bomb to be U2's 4th or 5th best album, lest I be accused of loving only the old stuff.)

Finally, your implication that "the newer stuff is always more vital" is clearly wrong, as anyone who has followed the careers of, say, Michael Jackson or Bryan Adams would attest.

I respect your opinions if you love the new stuff, but I'm pointing out that saying "the old stuff was better = wrong" is just as wrong as saying "the new stuff is better = correct".

Niceman, your suggestion seems to be this: the opinion of U2's being a bit past their most vital period makes the opinion-holder stuck in the past!

Do I have that right?

I think that is pretty wrong. It's almost universal in rock music that people under 40 make the more vital music. There are some obvious reasons for this -- rock music is fast, vital, visceral, and a bit 'in the moment' rather than eternal. These are all qualities that tend to come from youth. Rock is also quite simple, musically, and thus after 10 or 20 years groups run out of new variations on the same themes. U2 have obviously done extremely well in fighting the middle-age flab, and should be given credit for maintaining their mammoth commercial appeal, as well as for the energy of their live shows.

However, I don't think there's any reasonable way to say that anything they've done after their mid- to late-30s has been new, different, or overly vital. It's been good, perhaps, but not career-defining or new.

(I say this as someone who considers Atomic Bomb to be U2's 4th or 5th best album, lest I be accused of loving only the old stuff.)

Finally, your implication that "the newer stuff is always more vital" is clearly wrong, as anyone who has followed the careers of, say, Michael Jackson or Bryan Adams would attest.

I respect your opinions if you love the new stuff, but I'm pointing out that saying "the old stuff was better = wrong" is just as wrong as saying "the new stuff is better = correct".

Well, there was meant to be a bit of tongue in cheek in my post, but no - I don't think newer always means better.

For the record - I think ATYCLB was probably their worst record ever, and HTDAAB somewhere in the middle. NLOTH - well, I do think it's their third best.

I think they've done a crap job promoting it by picking the worst single choices they could have made.

(Should have been MOS - NLOTH - IGCIIDGCT - Magnificent, IMHO)

And I think, like the best U2 albums, it takes people a while to GET what is going on. When the album first came out I know a lot of people who didn't like it, but I also know that a few of them are starting to change their minds after sitting with it for a while.

As far as artists doing their best work before 40 - don't forget what a new world rock n roll is. It didn't exist 2 generations ago. I think the rules are, or at least should be, still being written. U2 and David Bowie have continued to do exciting work later in the lives. In other art forms; poetry, novel-writing, painting, composing, sculpture, the artists continue to get better as they get older until they die scribbling out their final masterpieces. Why is rock n roll different? Is it something necessary about the art, or simply a trap that our society has fallen into? Why the worship of the young, inexperienced, and niave?

I don't know, but I don't think that any artist has to lose the magic when they turn 40 or 50 or 60, but there are a number of factors that make it harder. Drugs ruin the brain. Money makes you soft. Family can take the place of importance in your life (I think this one DID happen to the band at one point.) You can become afraid that your new work could never be as good as your early work and simply not try. (Pink Floyd, The Beatles.)

But I don't think its necessary. I don't think that great artists lose the fire when the reach a certain age. they shouldn't. Mozart didn't. I think U2 has made some misteps, but I don't think they ever lost themselves the way The Rolling Stones, or REM did. They are, in many ways, better performers than they have ever been. they ARE trying to challenge themselves still.

I don't think NLOTH is lost the way they were on, say ATYCLB. Is it as good as Achtung or JT? No...... but it might be their third best record, and I think - I honestly do believe when I hear songs like Unknown Caller, NLOTH, Moment of Surrender, even I'll Go Crazy, that they are going to do their best work in the future, not the 80s or 90s.....

You asked specifically if I thought anything they had done post mid 30s was career defining? Well, Beautiful Day is the obvious one. Off that same record, I think IALW and the 2005 live version of Kite also rank. And don't underestimate how popular City of Blinding Lights is. Obama asked them to play it on his inaugeration, and when I saw the band play it in Boston last week, I overheard a woman say "This song is the reason why I'm here!"

And then there's the new record: Moment of Surrender is my favorite song right now, period. No Line on the Horizon (The song) is as good as anything they've done. Will these two songs get the credit they deserve? No, it doesn't seem like they will right away...... but 10, 20 years from now I believe they will be on the short list of U2's best work.

"I don't believe in the 60s, the golden age of pop. You glorify the past, the future dries up!"

The first thing I thought when I posted was, "I am curious if somebody uses that line" .We have a winner :up:

I do not glorify the past in general since fantastic music is still written, I glorify the past of U2. That is whole different ballgame. They uses to climb the himalayas easily. Now they are on the French Alpes level. Since almost no other band brought their climbing gear a lot of people seem to have forgotten the 8k+ days.

Who cares anyway, it is weekend:wave:

But I don't think its necessary. I don't think that great artists lose the fire when the reach a certain age. they shouldn't. Mozart didn't. I think U2 has made some misteps, but I don't think they ever lost themselves the way The Rolling Stones, or REM did. They are, in many ways, better performers than they have ever been. they ARE trying to challenge themselves still.

Niceman, I am sorry for picking out this one sentence out of of earnest post because I hate it when people do that.

That being said.
A) Mozart died when he was 35
B) is from a different planet than our platformshoe leadsinger or Edge. I allways have to laugh about the "form another planet"remarks from Bono about Dave Evans

Much as I love Moment Of Surrender,if it had been the first single it would have flopped more than Boots.
I still think NLOTH is a very good album, ok, it's not as good as AB,TJT or TUF but it's still a lot better than Bomb. I'd rank it just below Pop. I think they still have a lot of very good music in them, they need to release Songs of Ascent, I hope it's as beautiful as it's supposed to be, if it is, then this period of their history could be one of their best. Magnificent is still my favourite U2 song of the decade, FEZ and MOS aren't too far behind.

Well I just listened to The Joshua Tree and No Line On The Horizon in a row. And I have to say I enjoyed NLOTH more than TJT. I haven't enjoyed NLOTH this much in a long time. But it was also the first time in a very long time that I listened to it very intensive and with my ipod, just lying on my bed and listening. I think it's because I heard al the details and they just make the songs that little bit better.

NLOTH is one of their best openers ever. Bono's voice is great and Adam's bass is fantastic (it's Adam's best album). I love the quiet part and then I'm a traffic cop Rue Du Marais!

Magnificent is just great. The intro is a little threatening but then it turns into a beautiful song. Again great basswork from Adam. It really mixes the 80's and 90's U2. The lyrics are typically Bono but they work. Edge's solo is good but not really special.

This was the first where I really thought MOS was with their best work. I even enjoyed it more than WOWY. Bono sings it with so much passion, Adam's bass is great and Edge's solo just takes it to a higher level. And the last minute is just heavenly (I first hated the last minute with the oh oh oh's). Those seven minutes go way too fast.

Unknown Caller is still my favourite song off NLOTH. The intro with the birds is a beautiful sunrise after the darkness of MOS (MOS-UC is U2's best duo ever). I love the chanting (even the lyrics) and Edge's solo is his best ever. UC starts really small and ends so big. It's in my top 5 favourite U2 songs.

I'll Go Crazy is my least favourite song on the album but it's still pretty good. It's so joyfull. I always laugh when I hear it. My only problem with the song is that Adam's bass is too soft and Bono's falsetto. I like the baby baby baby part by the way (best part of the song).

GOYB is just a great song. I hated it at first but it has really grown on me. I rank it as high as Discotheque and just below The Fly. I love the bridge and again Adam is just fantastic. The lyrics aren't as throwaway as they might seem.

I even like SUC. I think it's a really funky song, it's the MW of this album and it's almost just as good. This song gets way too much hate. Sometimes a song can just be fun, it doesn't always have to be serious (lyrics)

Fez/BB is my second favourite song. The intro is really good. and then when BB kicks in I get this soaring feeling. It's such a soaring song. Bono's slow vocals are great (my favourite moment on the album is the Lights...flash past line, the way Bono sings it is:drool:). Edge's guitar shines and Larry's drumming fits so well with the song.

I almost started crying with White As now. It's just so beautiful and the backing vocals make it:drool:. It's like going to a beautiful place.

Breathe is U2's best rocksong in a long time. I love the fast lyrics and then the big refrain. I always get an adrenaline kick when the guitar kicks in after Larry's drumming. But the best part of the song is when the violin leads into Edge's solo.

Cedars of Lebanon is a great closer. It's dark and mysterious and it has the best lyrics of the whole album. It's a real subtle song. Bono just whispers the lyrics. It's U2's best closer after Love is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man.

And then the album is over way too fast. This was the first time hen I enjoyed every second of the album. It feels like the first time when I really understood the album after like a hundred listens. I think it is my second facvourite U2 album after Achtung Baby (it can still change). They'll have a hard time making SOA a better album but if they go further in this direction it can only be good. I hope they'll experiment more even if SOA isn't as good as NLOTH.

nielsgov: Well I just listened to The Joshua Tree and No Line On The Horizon in a row. And I have to say I enjoyed NLOTH more than TJT.
what kind of grass did you smoke???:lol:

Back
Top Bottom