Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be if SYCMIYO (a REAL masterpiece) didn't have it's crescendo ("reason I sing..operain me"...or Edges impassioned guitar)--it wouldn't be a masterpiece.

Oh God, please! That is exactly why MOS is good. It is NOT overdone like Sometimes or really, most of Bomb. I fucking hate that shit! Finally they woke up and realized that subtlety is what they are best at, not over-the-top theatrics.

Oh God, please! That is exactly why MOS is good. It is NOT overdone like Sometimes or really, most of Bomb. I fucking hate that shit! Finally they woke up and realized that subtlety is what they are best at, not over-the-top theatrics.

For the second time today... this. :up:

Although over-the-top theatrics are fine if they're not overdone and unintentionally cheesy (see: ZooTV, PopMart).

There's no organic flow with this album. It lacks magic. Achtung Baby makes you feel like youre inside the album itself making you reminisce on things that happened and are going on in your life. NLOTH makes me feel like im shopping in walmart.

MOS doesn't go far enough, and Sometimes goes too far. I do prefer them to err on the side of subtly rather than over the top.

Bad, wowoy, running to stand still, the fly, streets are all just right. that is why MOS and Sometimes are not in the same class as those songs.

I like MOS of surrender a lot, but it is overrated (almost as much as magnificent). Its not going to be a song U2 is remembered for.

There's no organic flow with this album. It lacks magic. Achtung Baby makes you feel like youre inside the album itself making you reminisce on things that happened and are going on in your life. NLOTH makes me feel like im shopping in walmart.

God some of you people say the dumbest shit

I actually do understand the Walmart comment -- the album has its "U2 goes a bit arty but not too arty" moment, it's "rocker like Vertigo moment", its "easy pop-tune" moment, etc... In other words, it's calculated (as any album that's three-years in the making with Eno on board is bound to be) -- this is something you didn't feel listening to their music in the 80s and early 90s.

As for the comments that U2 do "subtle" better than "over the top"... Ba-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha....!

U2 has always been, and will always be, masters of larger-than-life, lack-of-subtlety, aim for the jugular, hit-you-over-the-head, in your face, music and themes. This is the one thing the band has always been known for. It's also something they do well (unlike, say, hair-metal bands of the 80s!).

Anyway, my beef with NLOTH is not the Walmart or the subtlety aspects, but rather that I think the songs are a bit sub-par. I don't foresee many of them surviving in the live set for long, for example.

I am surprised you would bash SYCMIYO--for the Bomb haters, it seems there are other songs to go after. I find it hard to not put this in the U2 masterpice category--I think it easily blows away anything on NLOTH, and I like/love most of NLOTH (minus SUC/Crazy).

SYCMIYO killed live--

Oh, about the Walmart comment--I think what gives that impression is the detached feel (IMO) of the lyrics and melodies. The album has plenty of spirituality, but not the raw emotion and intensity that the great U2 music has running through it's veins. I more expect from them.

6. Moment of Surrender - hype, hype, and more hype. This is this album's "One"?! Are you kidding me?!

This is what I've been saying since the very first time I heard it.
Yes, it was hyped up way too much, and that's one of the
reasons I have such an issue with it. I honestly have no idea why
or how the the media came to the conclusion that MOS is this
decade's equivalent of One. (Did the band come up with that
themselves?)

You never listened past the 6 minute mark then? The last minute is by far the best part of the song IMO.

I agree that the last minute of the song is nice, but one minute
does not make up for the several lackluster minutes that come
before it.

Anyway, my beef with NLOTH is not the Walmart or the subtlety aspects, but rather that I think the songs are a bit sub-par. I don't foresee many of them surviving in the live set for long, for example.

The songs are brilliant live. I predict they will stay in the set for a very long time. I even think there will be some more songs from the album added U2 obviously love the album and love to perform the songs live and rightfully so. They have made really good live versions of these sometimes difficult songs and I think they are the highlights of the current shows.

There's nothing "sub par" about NLOTH, except maybe the much talked about "middle section", but the rest is among the best stuff they've ever done. Some fans seem to have problems accepting that U2 can still make a great album because they like to live in the past.

I really :heart: MOS but it's certainly not the best song on NLOTH. It isn't as good as WOWY or One but MOS>>>SYCMIOYO IMHO. MOS just lacks something to make it one of their best.

MOS doesn't go far enough, and Sometimes goes too far. I do prefer them to err on the side of subtly rather than over the top.

Bad, wowoy, running to stand still, the fly, streets are all just right. that is why MOS and Sometimes are not in the same class as those songs.

I like MOS of surrender a lot, but it is overrated (almost as much as magnificent). Its not going to be a song U2 is remembered for.

LOL that you said "MOS of surrender". :lol: :wink:

The songs are brilliant live. I predict they will stay in the set for a very long time. I even think there will be some more songs from the album added U2 obviously love the album and love to perform the songs live and rightfully so. They have made really good live versions of these sometimes difficult songs and I think they are the highlights of the current shows.

There's nothing "sub par" about NLOTH, except maybe the much talked about "middle section", but the rest is among the best stuff they've ever done. Some fans seem to have problems accepting that U2 can still make a great album because they like to live in the past.

yep. and i've always been under the impression that the middle 3 get so much flack because songs 1-4 and 8-11 are so fucking good.

I find a lot of your comments pretty stupid, as you seem to attack anyone who disagrees with you (and you always concur with the majority, which must somehow inflate your ego, which is a bit sad on an anonymous forum). I have said many times -- including my most recent posts -- that I like NLOTH and I think it's a good album. I also happen to think it's one of U2's more subpar.

Your suggestion, for example, that I and others are "living in the past" because we dared to criticize your sacred cow is logical only to the extent that everything new in music is good -- which is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard (which takes us full circle).

I find a lot of your comments pretty stupid, as you seem to attack anyone who disagrees with you (and you always concur with the majority, which must somehow inflate your ego, which is a bit sad on an anonymous forum). I have said many times -- including my most recent posts -- that I like NLOTH and I think it's a good album. I also happen to think it's one of U2's more subpar.

Your suggestion, for example, that I and others are "living in the past" because we dared to criticize your sacred cow is logical only to the extent that everything new in music is good -- which is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard (which takes us full circle).

wow. good post. the way you said that her comments are "pretty stupid" is definitely taking the high road in this argument. good job and keep posting!

Sarcasm does not become you, Mikal. I would normally take the high road, but sometimes a sticky turd needs to be called a sticky turd. Permit me that one pleasure, will you not?

Okay, you will get me to say this about MOS - Musically, its pretty good (not great). There are some great things going on with the Edge's guitar (unlike most of the other songs). My main beef is the vocals; just sounds like Bono is trying way too hard in a song where the best parts are the subtle parts.

And yes, no flow to this album; no identity. Every other album seems to take you along on a some kind of journey (except Bomb feels a little disjointed sometimes, but holds together on its own pretty well), but not this album.

I say bring on Songs of Ascent and don't go back and re-work the material too much. Please! Let's hear something truly new and fresh from U2!

I think the vocals of Bono are the best parts of the song. He sings it with so much passion and the lyrics are great too.

I haven't listened to the album all the way through in one sitting since about 3 weeks after it leaked. I think it's a mess, and it is my easily my least favorite U2 LP. Breathe and the title track might be, at this point, the only tracks I can tolerate. Moment of Surrender has a bit of something special to it, but I'm never compelled to listen. I loved Crazy Tonight initially, but the sugar overdose finally got to me and we ended that relationship on bad terms. Unknown Caller is the worst and most embarrassing moment in the band's recorded history. White As Snow and the album closer are exceptionally boring.

Sometimes, as a band gets older, they start to suck. This is one of those times.

I still love them with all my heart and can't wait for the concert in 2 weeks, but NLOTH is a regrettable effort from one of the all-time great artists in rock and roll.

Okay, you will get me to say this about MOS - Musically, its pretty good (not great). There are some great things going on with the Edge's guitar (unlike most of the other songs). My main beef is the vocals; just sounds like Bono is trying way too hard in a song where the best parts are the subtle parts.

And yes, no flow to this album; no identity. Every other album seems to take you along on a some kind of journey (except Bomb feels a little disjointed sometimes, but holds together on its own pretty well), but not this album.

I say bring on Songs of Ascent and don't go back and re-work the material too much. Please! Let's hear something truly new and fresh from U2!

Have you... umm... bothered to think about the meanings of the songs at all? Or read what Bono and the others have said about them?

Unknown Caller is the worst and most embarrassing moment in the band's recorded history. White As Snow and the album closer are exceptionally boring.

Your'e entitled to your opinion I suppose.... Even if it's wrong..! :lol:

Unknown Caller is (for me) among the very the finest moment in the band's recorded history as well as being an absolute stormer live. White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon are up there as well...

No Line On the Horizon is my favourite U2 album.

Go figure...

I don't see why this album is considered that disjointed
I do feel (strongly) about POP that it's a bunch of EPs thrown together

but maybe it's just as simple as me having a strong preference for the songs on No Line and that's why it doesn't bother me

6 months on and I still think Pez: Been Boring is a ridiculous and hopeless waste of 5 minutes of precious CD space. SUC only slightly less so.

Magnificent, Breathe, MOS and NLOTH2 (NLOTH not so much) live on very strongly. Unknown Caller remains to be the best song on the album. Winter should have been included.

For what it's worth, AMAAW is an amazing tune, I love it.

Also, the two outtakes CDs we got recently are awesome. Native Son >>> Vertigo by a mile and the alternate SYCMIOYO is great also. My kid likes the alt Yahweh better, also.

oh, this is about NLOTH? :wink:

Ha, these threads almost always devolve into mudslinging and "these are my favorite songs from each album" lists...that everyone feels they must counter with their own favorite songs from each album.

A little humility in one's opinions goes a long way towards fostering an interesting and useful discussion. I.e. "I know that many people feel that Unknown Caller is a classic U2 track, but I happen to think it is one of the weakest songs they've ever recorded for reasons 1, 2, and 3"...etc.

Ha, these threads almost always devolve into mudslinging and "these are my favorite songs from each album" lists...that everyone feels they must counter with their own favorite songs from each album.

A little humility in one's opinions goes a long way towards fostering an interesting and useful discussion. I.e. "I know that many people feel that Unknown Caller is a classic U2 track, but I happen to think it is one of the weakest songs they've ever recorded for reasons 1, 2, and 3"...etc.

bram, my opinion is better than yours. :wink:

I completely agree with that statement. Your opinion is damn near impeccable in my humble Interference experience. :)

But let's get serious everyone: Unknown Caller is great.

But let's get serious everyone: Unknown Caller is great.

I agree. One of their best ever. It's the only song (maybe together with Fez) off NLOTH that keeps growing on me with every listen.

Back
Top Bottom