some new lanois comments on new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just want to hear some new u2, i dont care what it sounds like, i'm going to like it....preferably some beach clips in the next month would be great :wink:

RademR said:
i just want to hear some new u2, i dont care what it sounds like, i'm going to like it....preferably some beach clips in the next month would be great :wink:

would you like fries with that?

Irvine511 said:

and for me, the chorus of "Pride" is by far the cheesiest part in a song that's attempting to be big and important (and succeeds, musically, but not lyrically at all). in the name of love? honestly, how cheesy is that?

...that is ultimately what's timeless, uncontainable, always alive and waiting to be inhabited by performer and audience alike. it's the moment that everything -- the songs, the albums, the tours, the tickets, the marketing -- is designed to enable the creation of. it's the only moment that matters, that period of connection, of oneness. it's the sublime.

but that's my opinion. and i like pointing to COBL when people talk about Bono's supposedly post-2000 dumbed-down lyrics. sure, COBL is something of an attempt at a 21st century "Streets," but there's much more going on in that song than many want to give it credit for.

I've liked many of your comments Irvine, and I respect Pride not working for you. At the same time I have to state why I believe Pride does succeed lyrically- I believe it's all very personal, and simple for myself to fall for. I can't believe I'm saying this cus it does sound cheesy but Love is the reason. Seriously, the thing inside each one of us that doesn't care what others will criticize.

'In the name of love'
is followed by
'What more in the name of love'

THAT is a very profound, memorable of passionate statement, very raw and full of meaning that can represent any people anywhere at anytime. A Man -MLK- was killed in the name of his Love. That passion is in those lyrics, and they are asking 'what else?'

When put into context with who the song was written in mind of, and then performed with the respect U2 has given it their entire career, Pride can remain uncheesy and relevant to many people, me included. When the song becomes background music, it's time to re-examine the personal meaning or probably take it off the ipod for a while to refresh it. Bono is in Love with his work and he'll die with those lyrics never growing bored of them.

Pride is a once in a lifetime song for U2, U2 is a once in a lifetime group for us fans, and MLK was a once in a lifetime cultural figure for humanity. That's what breathes the life into 'Pride' for me and I never hear cheese when I hear 'In the name of Love'

Again, no disrespect
:up:

Last edited:
mofo82 said:

I've liked many of your comments Irvine, and I respect Pride not working for you. At the same time I have to state why I believe Pride does succeed lyrically- I believe it's all very personal, and simple for myself to fall for. I can't believe I'm saying this cus it does sound cheesy but Love is the reason. Seriously, the thing inside each one of us that doesn't care what others will criticize.

'In the name of love'
is followed by
'What more in the name of love'

THAT is a very profound, memorable of passionate statement, very raw and full of meaning that can represent any people anywhere at anytime. A Man -MLK- was killed in the name of his Love. That passion is in those lyrics, and they are asking 'what else?'

When put into context with who the song was written in mind of, and then performed with the respect U2 has given it their entire career, Pride can remain uncheesy and relevant to many people, me included. When the song becomes background music, it's time to re-examine the personal meaning or probably take it off the ipod for a while to refresh it. Bono is in Love with his work and he'll die with those lyrics never growing bored of them.

Pride is a once in a lifetime song for U2, U2 is a once in a lifetime group for us fans, and MLK was a once in a lifetime cultural figure for humanity. That's what breathes the life into 'Pride' for me and I never hear cheese when I hear 'In the name of Love'

Again, no disrespect
:up:

I agree with you and I, too, wasn't saying that "Pride" was a bad song. What you say in your post is true and it's really a beautiful statement. I also wouldn't call it "cheesy" - I don't think I would call anything "cheesy" in a degrading way because I realise that most great "anthem" songs have a fair amount of cheese to them, otherwise they wouldn't work.

I think it's just the way the song is presented live today. The song itself will always be a timeless classic, but personally, I prefer songs like COBL at a U2 show, because Pride has been overplayed (sadly) and lost much of it's power and dynamics. COBL, on the other hand, is, at least for me, the perfect anthem for the U2 we know today, especially as an opener. On the other hand, if they decide to give songs like Pride and WOWY and some others a break and re-work them, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't return to U2's live set, along with newer songs like COBL.

Funnily, I don't feel the same about Streets, because this is something that, for me, always works out. At the U23D movie, whenever I watched it and Streets began, I just thought: WOW and got goosebumps. I can never see them drop this one.

For me, there is often a difference between the "classic" U2 song as a song itself and the way it's played live. Sometimes overplaying a song live can really do more damage than good, and in some cases songs improve so much more live that I actually start to like the album version more because of it.

Rob33 said:

so do you think tickets will be harder to get on the upcoming tour than the Vertigo tour? In general, that is, taking into account stadiums and arenas...I'm in the U.S. so for me it'll probably be arenas only... :shrug:

If U2 does arenas only in the US again, then yes tickets will be just as hard, if not harder to get as the Vertigo tour (Pricing is a factor too). If U2 does stadiums next tour I think tickets will be manageable to attain, but will eventually sell out.

If The Police were selling out stadiums a year ago there is no reason U2 can't do stadiums in the US.

last unicorn said:

I think it's just the way the song is presented live today. The song itself will always be a timeless classic, but personally, I prefer songs like COBL at a U2 show, because Pride has been overplayed (sadly) and lost much of it's power and dynamics.

On the other hand, if they decide to give songs like Pride and WOWY and some others a break and re-work them, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't return to U2's live set, along with newer songs like COBL.

I can't remember the thread, but I brought it up not too long ago that I would personally love to see Pride get the same kind of treatment that Sunday Bloody Sunday got for Popmart. Depending on the night for the tours since ZOO TV, Pride was either right on like a few times for Vertigo tour, or too slow, and most nights it was the latter. They may as well slow it down to the point where it's nearly poetic. It was amazing to hear Mexico City, a stadium of what, 70,000 people silenced and that empowered that song immensely. With that said, maybe that could take the 'cheese factor' or the comfort out of the performance.

pepokiss said:
wait... is RICK RUBIN still involved in this thing?

I think he'll get a credit mention on some songs, but i hope the vast majority of the stuff they did with him wont see the light of day if they have become more experimental since. I think albums created by production committee are generally poorer for it...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:huh: Care to explain?

i just think that an album that has had 5 producers will generally be worse than working with 1 or 2.

I think keep changing production teams may hint that the SONG isn't what it should be. And that 1 coherent idea and creative meeting of minds is better than fractured sessions with various confusing opinions and contributions.

See for example HTDAAB...

chrissybaby said:

i just think that an album that has had 5 producers will generally be worse than working with 1 or 2.

I think keep changing production teams may hint that the SONG isn't what it should be. And that 1 coherent idea and creative meeting of minds is better than fractured sessions with various confusing opinions and contributions.

See for example HTDAAB...

Ok, but why did you even bring it up? That's not the case here. From everything we've been given the Rubin and the Eno/Lanois sessions are completely different and have nothing to do with each other.

I see no "production committee" here. :huh:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-lanois29mar29,1,4929319.story

"Lanois is now off to Ireland to finish production on the new U2 album, which he promises is going to be something special. ("We're quite excited about it. Bono's singing like a bird.")

:scratch: Like a bird?

bonovogel.jpg

couldn't resist, sorry :sexywink:

Edge is on fire and Bono's like a bird... that's a dangerous combo.

The next album will be called 'Fried Chicken'.

That's confirmed.

This next album will be great, mark my words. I liked ATYCLB, loved HTDAAB(it was a great album, I dont know why so many here bitch about it) but I do think it is time for a new direction. Everyone needs to calm down, U2 has NEVER produced a bad album in 30 years. Also, saying Bono is a sell out is completely ridiculous, from the time they sign that record deal, thats kind of the goal-put out music, make money. It isnt called the music industry for nothing, and its not selling out to do what they have been doing their entire career.

Rob33 said:

omg, this is unbelievably great news!!! thanks! Bono's singing well and most importantly, they're in Ireland finishing the album! WE NEED CLIPS!!!!

anyone? :wink:

So is Bono singing like a 'bird' bird...or like a chick...:eyebrow:

:)

Seriously, I have no expectations for this album...which might bode well for the album. Don't know why, but I just feel something very different is happening in the studio for the boys...:yes:

U2387 said:
This next album will be great, mark my words. I liked ATYCLB, loved HTDAAB(it was a great album, I dont know why so many here bitch about it) but I do think it is time for a new direction. Everyone needs to calm down, U2 has NEVER produced a bad album in 30 years. Also, saying Bono is a sell out is completely ridiculous, from the time they sign that record deal, thats kind of the goal-put out music, make money. It isnt called the music industry for nothing, and its not selling out to do what they have been doing their entire career.

Who else found this post completely ludicrous?

But wait a minute:

This next album will be great, mark my words.

I sure hope so.

HTDAAB(it was a great album, I dont know why so many here bitch about it)

I'd be damned if that's not the truth. And BITCH is such the right word.

but I do think it is time for a new direction.

I agree fully.

U2 has NEVER produced a bad album in 30 years.

Great words. That means you also like POP which makes you the MAN (or woman...I'm a guy, I assume everyone's guy)

Also, saying Bono is a sell out is completely ridiculous, from the time they sign that record deal, thats kind of the goal-put out music, make money.

Who the fuck works for free right? I know I don't.

It isnt called the music industry for nothing, and its not selling out to do what they have been doing their entire career.

Technically, he's right!!!!

My conclusions: Listen to the WISEMAN!!!

last unicorn said:
Bono singing like a bird?

:hmm:

Wait, wasn't there a rumour about a song called "Two birds"?

Will we have a birdie album?

:cute:

Bono said in an interview with a Moroccan newspaper that one of the songs from the Fez sessions was (at the time) called One Bird. He pointed out that is was only a tentative title though.

Source: http://www.telquel-online.com/277/arts1_277.shtml

U2.com mentioned how Brian Eno commented on the birds singing in the riad and you can also hear them if you listen carefully to the Lanois trailer from u2.com.

The_Edge89 said:

Bono said in an interview with a Moroccan newspaper that one of the songs from the Fez sessions was (at the time) called One Bird. He pointed out that is was only a tentative title though.

Source: http://www.telquel-online.com/277/arts1_277.shtml

U2.com mentioned how Brian Eno commented on the birds singing in the riad and you can also hear them if you listen carefully to the Lanois trailer from u2.com.

OK, so it's Bono singing along with Morroccan birds. Lovely.

Is it official the New Album DOES have a name, and it is "Hard Candy"? I thought that was madonnas new one :reject:

Back
Top Bottom