Some album news to come next week (25th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Focus on the Family is very dominant organization among US evangelicals and have been for many years. They produce everything from talk radio to Sunday School materials, and "the traditional family" is their grail. It's all about male leadership in the home, highly gendered roles for children, corporal punishment for "defiant" and "strong willed" children, women who look and act "womanly" and never teach or lead men, abstinence only sex ed and of course no gayness, because gayness leads to pedophilia and having sex with animals. And lots and lots of conservative politics, naturally. It goes on ad nauseum. This is an interview with their hip new progressive president. For Evangelical Leader, Gay Marriage 'Outside Of God's Design' : NPR

It doesn't bother me that Bono is a Christian. You only have to listen to him for a few minutes to see that he is. But it bothers me that he's acting as an apologist to assholes who will be secretly fangirling all the time that they ask him to prove that he knows God, and then go brag about how important they are because he spent time with them, while still reserving the right to judge his soul.

Whoops- too late, mama cass. Just forget that you read this.

Didn't Bono allow himself to be photographed w/Glenn Beck?

Oh, yeah, he did.

Glenn-and-Bono1-640x480.jpg

It would be funny if Bono came out as being a member of the Christian-right during this interview, and they spent the whole time bashing gays or whatever.

No, funny is the wrong word. Horrible is the right word.

You know, I'm certainly no fan of Focus on the Family, and clearly Glenn Beck is just whacked. But as with the Monsanto debacle, there's something I like about Bono's willingness to give the middle finger to people who criticise those he choses to meet with, and the more controversial the figure the more he digs in his heels about it. Considering the circles he travels in, it takes a lot of guts to ignore what your peers and friends thing and meet with some of the people he does. Just speaking of the band alone, we know a lot of this doesn't make them happy.

I mean, this is a guy who has met with dictators with serious blood on their hands, and people are getting worked about up about this stuff? It won't be long before someone creates a Facebook page to "educate" Bono on what Focus on the Family does, and encourage him to correct his behaviour.

Maybe eventually he'll meet with someone who really crosses the line (some genocidal African warlord or Justin Beiber for example) and I'll be annoyed. But in general, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's certainly not typical celebrity like behaviour, and I find that refreshing, even if he's meeting with people I might not invite to dinner.

It would be funny if Bono came out as being a member of the Christian-right during this interview, and they spent the whole time bashing gays or whatever.

No, funny is the wrong word. Horrible is the right word.

oh ye of little faith, course that's not going to happen :D

Code:
It doesn't bother me that Bono is a Christian. You only have to listen to him for a few minutes to see that he is. But it bothers me that he's acting as an apologist to assholes who will be secretly fangirling all the time that they ask him to prove that he knows God, and then go brag about how important they are because he spent time with them, while still reserving the right to judge his soul.

How is Bono an apologist to people he talks with? How have you learned every person's motivation? (that is impressive)

Nothing like bashing judgmental people by raising the bar on judgmentalism. Well done. :applaud:

This whole thread is precisely the problem with any political or religious discourse, paint everyone you disagree with into the greatest possible extremes, and bash anyone that talks with those you don't agree with. That is definitely the way forward.

oh ye of little faith, course that's not going to happen :D

Yeah...bashing the gays really isn't Bono's thing. He's mostly going to talk about faith in terms of how it should move us to do good in the world, how the Bible calls us to take care of the sick & poor, etc. I'm sure he has his reasons for going on there.

Plus, Christians buy records too ya know. ;)

A pretty far right-wing Christian organization in the US.

If he talks about his faith or helping Africa, fine. But FOTF really only cares about gay marriage and abortion, so we'll see.

They are ghastly. But have lost tons of the political influence they once had.

For me it is very strange that a good person like Bono praise a evil god like bible, Bono critizies evil dictators and yet still he praise a god that have killled over 2 000 000 people in the bible.

Strange to me...

I mean...

Bono is the only one who can have lunch with the Obamas and then turn around and be on Focus on the Family the next week. People talk all day long about "listening to both sides," and "being tolerant," but Bono is the only celebrity who actually does it and doesn't just say it. Now it's the liberals' turn to get out their barf bags and ride it out. :wink:

But, as an aside, do you all remember James Dobson? He's not in charge of Focus on the Family anymore. Some people I know used to really like him, but since he left, the organization is "too liberal" now, in their perspective. If that makes you feel any better! :therethere:

Didn't Bono allow himself to be photographed w/Glenn Beck?

Oh, yeah, he did.

Glenn-and-Bono1-640x480.jpg

ok it's official this picture made the baby Jesus cry........ also, a true sign the zombie acopolypse, there's no way there will be an album out this year and u2 jumped the shark

:wink:

Maybe eventually he'll meet with someone who really crosses the line (some genocidal African warlord or Justin Beiber for example) and I'll be annoyed. But in general, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's certainly not typical celebrity like behaviour, and I find that refreshing, even if he's meeting with people I might not invite to dinner.

I very much agree that Bono is doing the right thing in sticking his neck out to talk to people he might not otherwise agree with, but sorry, Nick - no exceptions...

Nothing like bashing judgmental people by raising the bar on judgmentalism. Well done. :applaud:

This whole thread is precisely the problem with any political or religious discourse, paint everyone you disagree with into the greatest possible extremes, and bash anyone that talks with those you don't agree with. That is definitely the way forward.

Well, I grew up in a church of Focus on the Family devotees so I feel like I know the scene pretty well. It's my native language. Yes, there are good people in evangelicalism. Yes, they love God and they are trying to do the right thing. And yes, they are stuck in a unfortunate and outmoded model of social relations.

Really truly, I can be okay with this after a few deep breaths. Maybe it's Bono being Christlike in the most infuriating ways or maybe its him being the hard nosed businessman who knows who to go to whatget he wants... I just had to have my little Larry moment.

How is Bono an apologist to people he talks with? How have you learned every person's motivation? (that is impressive)

Thank you! And thank goodness Bono isn't as biased, narrow-minded, and judgmental as some of the people in this thread.

[ Ben moves over to an empty chair.]

BEN: Jacob. This is John. Aren't you going to say hello, John?

LOCKE: What?

BEN: [Looks to the chair] I told you he wouldn't.

LOCKE: Who—what are you talking about?

BEN: You can't see him?

LOCKE: See who?

BEN: Jacob! He's sitting right here, in this chair! [Looks at the chair] Yes, I know, but he insisted.

LOCKE: What is this?

BEN: You wanted the secrets of the Island? Well, here they are. This is the man who can answer every single- [Stops, pauses while looking at the chair] I am not. He made me bring him here—do you think that that was my—sorry, may I finish?

LOCKE: You're crazy.

BEN: Excuse me?

LOCKE: You don't know anything about the Island, do ya? You just...made it all up.

BEN: [Looks at the chair] Jacob, please, I can't hear him if you're gonna talk over what he's saying—

LOCKE: Stop. Stop. Shut up! You're putting on a show for me? Or do you...do you really think there's someone there?

BEN: I know there's someone there!

LOCKE: You don't know anything.

BEN: I'm sorry you feel that way, John. And I'm sorry that you're too limited to see.

LOCKE: You're pathetic.

[As Locke leaves he hears a voice.]

VOICE: Help me.

[Locke turns.]

LOCKE: What did you just say?

BEN: I—I didn't say anything.

LOCKE: Oh yes you did. I heard you, [raises the flash-light] you said...

[Suddenly the room takes on a life of its own. Chairs rock, glass smashes, the lantern catches fire and windows shatter.]

BEN: [To the chair] That's enough, you've had your fun!

[Ben is thrown back against the wall. For a brief moment, a figure is seen in the chair, followed by a closeup of an eye. Locke runs out of the cabin. Ben walks, shaken, from the cabin a moment later. Pause.]

LOCKE: What was that?

BEN: That was Jacob.

One of my favorite Lost moments right there. I love when Hurley finds the cabin later on as well.

Back
Top Bottom