SOI - YouTube Covers Conflict and Confuse Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
So, my 9 year old leaves our browser on YouTube, and I take command.

And yes, YouTube was around for NLOTH, but not like this; not even close. I mean I do a simple search for Song For Someone, and blam, like 8 or 9, if not more, covers, interpretations, and lyric videos pop up.

They range from some pretty darn good piano only versions, to some very awful covers – “But I take a look and now I’m sorry I did” comes to mind.

I really don’t know what to think.

Is this legal?

What does the band or management think? Imitation is the sincerest flattery or something else?

It sort of messes with my head too: I watched a very U2 looking band do "Song for Someone" in a 'live' version before U2 ever does it live – and it kinda sounded good. WTF? Am I a traitor?

And who was it that said, “every artist is a thief”

I’m conflicted, but dang, I really like that piano version by Krzysztof Mrzygłód. (Really, you can't make this up)

Are you conflicted?

What do you think?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, nor is it new, not is it confined to U2 - as long as they aren't making money, what's the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How dare somebody record their own version of a song they like! That never occurred until YouTube cropped up! The Internet's killing music, folks.

So, my 9 year old leaves our browser on YouTube, and I take command.

And yes, YouTube was around for NLOTH, but not like this; not even close. I mean I do a simple search for Song For Someone, and blam, like 8 or 9, if not more, covers, interpretations, and lyric videos pop up.

They range from some pretty darn good piano only versions, to some very awful covers – “But I take a look and now I’m sorry I did” comes to mind.

I really don’t know what to think.

Is this legal?

What does the band or management think? Imitation is the sincerest flattery or something else?

It sort of messes with my head too: I watched a very U2 looking band do "Song for Someone" in a 'live' version before U2 ever does it live – and it kinda sounded good. WTF? Am I a traitor?

And who was it that said, “every artist is a thief”

I’m conflicted, but dang, I really like that piano version by Krzysztof Mrzygłód. (Really, you can't make this up)

Are you conflicted?

What do you think?
If u2 can slaughter watchtower than why not?!

I've always loved the breadth of U2 covers on YouTube.

To me it's cool to see how many people around the world have connected with their music & felt inspired enough to create their own versions.

uh, i'm glad people are covering U2 on YouTube. it means they're still relevant.

in a semi-related note, have you ever searched "ordinary love remix" on YouTube? there are soooo many :huh: no other U2 song has close to that many. it's strange to me

I do not mind cover bands and the usual re-mixes (or dance mixed versions) of songs,
but the only thing I do not like is when somone posts a vídeo with no images and a
U2 song which they say is the real U2,
and then you find out it was a cover band doing
a song from U2 which hasn´t even come out on record yet!

That is annoying and not good for the real U2 band.
Because their original song could be
way better than any other imitation created by any cover band.

I do not mind cover bands and the usual re-mixes (or dance mixed versions) of songs,

but the only thing I do not like is when somone posts a vídeo with no images and a

U2 song which they say is the real U2,

and then you find out it was a cover band doing

a song from U2 which hasn´t even come out on record yet!

That is annoying and not good for the real U2 band.

Because their original song could be

way better than any other imitation created by any cover band.

Wait, you still think they were playing an unreleased U2 song?

Oh Max :therethere:

One should be able to tell if it's real or not. 99.9% it's bullshit. Remember that and you'll never be fooled again.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom