SOI Moments That Give You Chills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtungbabe

The Fly
I was wondering what particular lyrics or lines or notes give you chills when hearing them. The two main ones for me are in Every Breaking Wave when Bono sings "I thought I heard the captain's voice" and in Song for Someone "if there is a kiss I stole from your mouth." I've listened to nothing but this album on repeat since it came out and my heart still speeds up when I hear the delivery of those lines. So anyway, what moments do it for you?

The harmonies in the "God knows it's not easy" bridge of The Troubles.

The end of the second verse an lead into the chorus of California.

The final chorus in The Miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"I was told, I would feel nothing, the first time" has a great melody, delivery and is a Boy lyric through and through.

Dreams
It's a dirty business, dreaming
Where there's silence and not screaming

- Sleep Like a Baby Tonight

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

"Hold me close, hold me close and don’t let go
Hold me close like I’m someone that you might know
Hold me close the darkness just lets us see
Who we are
I’ve got your life inside of me."

Easily this one...

"Blossoms falling from a tree they cover you they cover me
Symbols crashing, bibles smashing
Paint the world you need to see
Sometimes fear is the only place that we can call home
Cedarwood Road"

in Every Breaking Wave when Bono sings "I thought I heard the captain's voice"

Yesssss I love that moment! The vocal delivery there is perfect!

Also, when the falsetto kicks in on Sleep Like A Baby Tonight it is just sweet!!

Then on Iris, "the universe is beautiful but cold...". Great line!

Intro to Cedarwood Rd. :heart:

Iris, the whole song really...... the best stuff in a very very long time in terms of emotion.

Lot's of moments, but for me the chills come in general with slow, emotional song where Bono's voice is at it's best (Walk to the water, Luminous times, Heartland, Promenade). In this album, I get that feeling in Sleep like a baby and The Troubles, 2 great songs reminding me a lot about the 80's. No particular lines though.

Are we so
Are we so helpless against the tide

We come and go
But stolen days you don’t give back

If there is a kiss
I stole from your mouth

I’ve got your life inside of me

And a heart that is broken
Is a heart that is open

Till someone else was in control (Bono singing the line in the background toward the end...)

It's difficult to choose a snippet of lyrics in this album...

there are several ones that give me chills...

maybe the "death of you" part in Iris

then the "shipwrecked" part in EBW

and "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred" always reminds me the first time U2 appeared on stage in front of me in 1987...
...that gig was a real spiritual experience for me and other 30,000 something people...

Baby every dog on the street
Knows that we're in love with defeat
Are we ready to be swept off our feet
And stop chasing
Every breaking wave

The star that gives us light
Has been gone a while
But it's not an illusion
The ache in my heart
Is so much a part of who I am

You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
In your dreams, everything is alright
Tomorrow dawns like a suicide
But you’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
Sleep like a baby tonight
Like a bird, your dreams take a flight
Like St. Francis covered in light
You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight

'Iris says that I will be the death of her, it was not me'

makes me really feel sorry for him, of course it was not him, but it maybe makes it even more painful

I agree with you. When you just listen to Iris without thinking about the lyrics, it's a good song, but not super memorable. But when you think about Bono's situation, it adds an unbelievable amount of sadness. Lines such as

The star that gives us light
Has been gone a while
But it's not an illusion
The ache in my heart
Is so much a part of who I am

and

Iris standing in the hall
She tells me I can do it all
Iris wakes to my nightmares
Don't fear the world
It isn't there

just kill my heart... I frequently tear up at this song.

The short outro to EBW. Such a hushed and understated way to end the track. Very sobering.

Another reason why I think this album will stand the test of time is that all U2 albums should have those chill down your spines moment. These were sadly thin on the ground especially on HTDAAB but also ATYCLB and NLOTH, prior to that almost every U2 song had one for me.
I am over the moon that SoI has an abundance of them. At the moment my top 4 are.

1. "The death of Her it was not me" on Iris
2. the shimmering almost childlike keyboard fade out on Sleep Like a Baby.
3. The closing 50 seconds on The Troubles, with Lykke Li's Icy delivery fading into the ether as Edge's spiky guitar echoes in the background.
4. The unbelievably funky and cool musical outro on TIWYCRMN as Bono goes "oh oh oh" .

Iris, the whole song really...... the best stuff in a very very long time in terms of emotion.

Lot's of moments, but for me the chills come in general with slow, emotional song where Bono's voice is at it's best (Walk to the water, Luminous times, Heartland, Promenade). In this album, I get that feeling in Sleep like a baby and The Troubles, 2 great songs reminding me a lot about the 80's. No particular lines though.

Agreed. For me, Iris, particularly that final coda of "Iris standing on the strand, she buries a boy beneath the sand..." part.... wow. Being a new father I can totally relate to that and it hits you right in the chest. And the falsetto and outro of SLABT. I also love the final minute of Cedarwood road and "A heart that is broken is a heart that is open". Awesome.

Agreed. For me, Iris, particularly that final coda of "Iris standing on the strand, she buries a boy beneath the sand..." part.... wow. Being a new father I can totally relate to that and it hits you right in the chest. And the falsetto and outro of SLABT. I also love the final minute of Cedarwood road and "A heart that is broken is a heart that is open". Awesome.

This, and the versus to This is Where You Can Reach Me, and all of The Troubles.

The intro to This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, the chorus in Iris and Every Breaking Wave, the chorus and ending of Cedarwood Road and The Troubles.

EBW

AT the 3:10 mark coming out of the bridge. Edge's guitar = first chill, Then again at 3:20 Bono singing -
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we soooooo, are we so helpless against the tide.

Ugh. His delivery on that is just one of the best thing he's done in many, many years.

This one really has grabbed me now, especially that aching first line:

The hurt you hide
The joy you hold
The foolish pride
That gets you out the door

- from Cedarwood Road

EBW

AT the 3:10 mark coming out of the bridge. Edge's guitar = first chill, Then again at 3:20 Bono singing -
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we soooooo, are we so helpless against the tide.

Ugh. His delivery on that is just one of the best thing he's done in many, many years.

I really love that segment at 3:20 as well, it reminds me a lot of this from invisible...

All those frozen days
And your frozen ways
They melt away your face like snow

How the 'RAISed BY WOLVES' chorus just suddenly kicks in out of nowhere

this. that was the first thing that stood out to me from this album. the song was already reminding me of early U2 and then 1980 Bono comes out of nowhere. i didn't know he could still sing like that!

Back
Top Bottom