SOI - I finally figured out what's wrong with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the only real problem with Songs of Innocence is the momentum killer that is the very mediocre and forgettable Cedarwood Road. That song shouldn't be on the album. They could've easily thrown Invisible or Crystal Ballroom on the album to take its place. Cedarwood Road is just a wannabe rock song that goes absolutely nowhere and kills the momentum of the album. It reminds me of Stand Up Comedy in a way.

I think the only real problem with Songs of Innocence is the momentum killer that is the very mediocre and forgettable Cedarwood Road. That song shouldn't be on the album. They could've easily thrown Invisible or Crystal Ballroom on the album to take its place. Cedarwood Road is just a wannabe rock song that goes absolutely nowhere and kills the momentum of the album. It reminds me of Stand Up Comedy in a way.

No fucking way!

Yeah... Cedarwood Road is the best song of the album for me.

I don't have a problem with people having a total opposite opinion than me, but I feel uncomfortable when said opinions are mentioned as matter of fact, specially in something as subjective as musical tastes.

:up:
It´s an acoustic sessions song, it´s obvious and the transformation into a rock song doesn´t work

I don't have a problem with people having a total opposite opinion than me, but I feel uncomfortable when said opinions are mentioned as matter of fact, specially in something as subjective as musical tastes.

Of course, every opinion of a member here is an individual perspective, there is no reason to read it as a matter of fact and to be upset about it.

Disagree.

Although the chuguchuguh guitar part is, i'll admit, a bit to "classic rawk" for my tastes, the rest of the song is mournful and dark, and not really trying to rock out. If anything, that aforementioned guitar part is like a fake-out.

I especially love the bell solo toward the end. Gives me a nice cold, wintry feeling. Bleakness is what I hear most in CR.

Two songs I would've chopped off to make room for Invisible and CB - The Miracle and Volcano. Those ones are your SUC's. Although The Miracle is nowhere near as bad as SUC. Volcano on the other hand...

Holy fuck I'm so sorry for not putting the disclaimer at the beginning stating that it was only my opinion and not a matter of fact. Grow up and get over yourself.

Holy fuck I'm so sorry for not putting the disclaimer at the beginning stating that it was only my opinion and not a matter of fact. Grow up and get over yourself.

Of course, every opinion of a member here is an individual perspective, there is no reason to read it as a matter of fact and to be upset about it.

Well, sorry if that sounded rude on my side.
However I stand by what I said.

When you define a song you're not saying an opinion, you're saying a definition. A definition is not an opinion and you can assume that when someone doesn't agree with your definition, someone is wrong. An opinion, on the other hand, assumes that every opinion is valid.

When is only every once in a while that people states definitions instead of opinions, it's ok, it's perfectly normal. But when is rather often that people defines songs ("that song is dad rock", "that song is an adele ripoff", "that song is a wannabe rock song", "that song is boring", "that song is crap", "that song is an acoustic session song") I find it annoying, either if the definition is supported by a large group or by nobody. (Specially when the same person seems obsessed with saying the same definition over and over again, but obviously that's not the case in this thread, so that's ok).

You hate a song, that's ok. That doesn't make it crap.
You love a song, that's ok. That doesn't make it great.

I hate this thread.

Now can we please get back to reviewing Clooney's eulogy at Bono's funeral?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using U2 Interference mobile app

I agree Edge was experimenting around on this album--and that absolutely comes through. Good point. I think that's why I do keep listening, and it seems so fresh.

So, while there are few 'showcased' Edge hooks, his subtle work is fresh and he's clearly experimenting and, in his own way, pushing himself. Just, a push toward subtlety. I like it. Thanks all!

I hate this thread.

Now can we please get back to reviewing Clooney's eulogy at Bono's funeral?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using U2 Interference mobile app

"Go fuck yourself Bono, I hope you rot in hell and get eaten by worms" doesn't really need much of an in-depth review, I think.

Poor Leo will never get to grow up with his father around, let's not lose sight of the real tragedy here. RIP Bono :sad:

After listening to the album today again, I am even more certain there is nothing wrong with it :) On the contrary, it sounds so fresh, it is full of excellent songs, great production, awhole new approach for U2. I have no doubts it is together with Joshua and Achtung their masterpiece. I would never expected such an amazing album in this stage of their career and in their age. Very, very surprising. I still cannot fully recover from the positive shock :)

The only problem is their choice of singles, acoustic promo tour, Bono´s accident. All these three aspects are wrong and caused many damages on album´s propagation.

But in the end I think we are lucky to have such tremendous album and I´m very happy and grateful to the band.

After listening to the album today again, I am even more certain there is nothing wrong with it :) On the contrary, it sounds so fresh, it is full of excellent songs, great production, awhole new approach for U2. I have no doubts it is together with Joshua and Achtung their masterpiece. I would never expected such an amazing album in this stage of their career and in their age. Very, very surprising. I still cannot fully recover from the positive shock :)

The only problem is their choice of singles, acoustic promo tour, Bono´s accident. All these three aspects are wrong and caused many damages on album´s propagation.

But in the end I think we are lucky to have such tremendous album and I´m very happy and grateful to the band.

:up:

And we have 2 great songs in addition to the album in Invisible and Crystal Ballroom.

Thanks thavidesco, I enjoyed reading this comment as it clearly states how I feel about SOI too. LemonMelon, thistrain, scorpionac, Partyslammer, Kieran McConville, Hewson, gareth brown, Axver, etc don't share our opinion of Songs Of Innocence but hey that's why I'm on this site. :)

Thanks thavidesco, I enjoyed reading this comment as it clearly states how I feel about SOI too. LemonMelon, thistrain, scorpionac, Partyslammer, Kieran McConville, Hewson, gareth brown, Axver, etc don't share our opinion of Songs Of Innocence but hey that's why I'm on this site. :)

You have yourself a list? Uh oh. If these posters stop appearing after a while, at least we have a suspect. :wink:

Creepy :shifty:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hardly Creepy. This is a public site, if anyone on this thread has submitted a list of U2 album rankings then it is open information and available for use. I didn't think I would actually have to explain this :doh:

Hardly Creepy. This is a public site, if anyone on this thread has submitted a list of U2 album rankings then it is open information and available for use. I didn't think I would actually have to explain this :doh:

We all know its a public site and that the information is available. :lol: But it's the "available for use" and how you used it that's creepy, it came off like you made a list at recess of those that are not your friends.

Oh, come on. It's not like those posters made one post in some buried, thousand-post thread that said they don't like it and she made a list that she locked in a drawer for future use.

Axver, LemonMelon and Hewson don't like SOI? Is that a secret? pretty sure they've posted multiple times in various threads with variations on that theme.

Arya counts as raised by wolves? If Arya is raised by wolves, that sounds like a prayer :p

Back
Top Bottom