SOI autopsy - what went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album was already in everyone's iTunes library. It's pretty likely that the average person heard something from the album before hearing The Miracle in full on the radio somewhere, considering the play it did receive was negligible on most formats. A different lead single wouldn't have made much difference.

Really wanna start an "'SOI autopsy-what went wrong?' autopsy- what went wrong?" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And Miracle is a pretty damn good song, BTW. Choosing another single would have made zero difference in the fortunes of SOI. Everyone who wanted to listened to that record. A bad single is the last thing you can blame whatever "went wrong" with SOI on.

I don´t think so, Miracle sounds so old-school, dad rock, 70´s rip off, whatever you may call it... But certainly it isn´t a good representative of all the exciting stuff on the album. With Cedarwood it is perhaps the only song that is from the category U2 by numbers.
Regarding the importance of the first single, I think the importance is still major, because it is a first (and maybe the last) idea people would get the album sounds like. It is played on the radio, video is played on TV, youtube, etc. If I heard a song like that by a random band, it certainly wouldn´t grab my attention. So I wouldn´t underestimate the factor of a lead single.
Regarding free distribution af the album by Apple I don´t think much people listened to the stuff except maybe one or two songs (probably Miracle and EBW)

There's too many Oh's in The Miracle for my liking. I like it better than Boots and Vertigo though (but not album version Elevation). It didn't sink the album by being a poor 1st single (what even is a single these days?). U2 had already set themselves up as a punching bag with the Apple giveaway. And, and this may be the more uncomfortable reason, they are just plain old, sorry kids. And you tend to look older sometimes when targeting the young crowd. Any song would've had the same effect. (Answer: no effect at all).

There's too many Oh's in The Miracle for my liking. I like it better than Boots and Vertigo though (but not album version Elevation). It didn't sink the album by being a poor 1st single (what even is a single these days?). U2 had already set themselves up as a punching bag with the Apple giveaway. And, and this may be the more uncomfortable reason, they are just plain old, sorry kids. And you tend to look older sometimes when targeting the young crowd. Any song would've had the same effect. (Answer: no effect at all).

What we learned from this post:

Too many "Oh's!" in Miracle- :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :huh: Seriously?!? DaveC was right!!! Arrghhh!!

Give away an album and you become a punching bag. No good deed goes unpunished. More gold. :lol::lol:

And finally let's finish it all off with some good old fashioned ageism. That never gets old. (oops, pardon the pun) Nice! NOT!! :angry:

The Miracle wasn't the problem. Zero momentum since Bono crashed is the big issue. Why did it take so long to get a video out for EBW? They had a video for every song with Films From Innocence, they should have promoted that a big more...

What we learned from this post:

Too many "Oh's!" in Miracle- :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :huh: Seriously?!? DaveC was right!!! Arrghhh!!

Give away an album and you become a punching bag. No good deed goes unpunished. More gold. :lol::lol:

And finally let's finish it all off with some good old fashioned ageism. That never gets old. (oops, pardon the pun) Nice! NOT!! :angry:

Ok, so in your universe, Miracle was a #1 hit that spanned generations. The album giveaway was nothing but a success and had no backlash. People never hated U2 before or after that moment. And U2 are still in their 20's.

P.s. I wasn't blaming the Oh's for SOI's "failure", just said there were too many for my liking. There's an Oh line, and they crossed it.

It may surprise you how many people actually really like The Miracle. A lot of my friends who are into all sorts of music and aren't even U2 fans checked out the album because they all liked The Miracle.
I think it's also lyrically really good for an upbeat rocker. Vertigo, Elevation, Volcano, etc. are fun songs, but The Miracle is far superior lyrically.

It may surprise you how many people actually really like The Miracle. A lot of my friends who are into all sorts of music and aren't even U2 fans checked out the album because they all liked The Miracle.
I think it's also lyrically really good for an upbeat rocker. Vertigo, Elevation, Volcano, etc. are fun songs, but The Miracle is far superior lyrically.

Definitely not in my perspective except Elevation and all of those songs are much better musically.

"Personally, the Edge could do the whole promo tour on his own, and I would kill to see a performance like that."

The Edge's acoustic cooking tour! :hyper:

I did enjoyed his Running to Eat Mussels mix.

Edge playing me songs and Mario Batali feeding me sounds like an absolute dream date. Although I'd have what he made for Patti Smith and she would be my dining partner.

This whole concept that SOI went wrong, is dead, there are autopsies, medical examiners' investigations as to manner of death, police investigators looking at suspects and motive, etc is getting very, very old.

We can all find fault with certain songs and marketing strategies on all of U2's albums and we're their biggest fans in this world. I happen to think War, JT and AB are pretty damn close to perfect, but if I think long enough, I can come up with a list of things I'd change about each album, era, etc.

That is quite different than what we see in this thread. Regardless of your personal opinions, we're looking at an album that is short of 6 months old and has been played very, very little live. Who knows what will become of it or how it will ultimately be viewed?

Others have brought up the I-Tunes results. Regardless of whether you believe the "U2 beats T-Swift" narrative, does everyone remember the bump up in sales for the back catalog when SOI was released?? Obviously people liked something they heard and were reminded how great U2 were. What the general public has seen so far from SOI (and also going back to OL and Invisible), they seem to like. So now compare this to the public's first real exposure to NLOTH- the Grammy performance of GOYB. It was widely criticized as being a terrible song and an embarrassment for the band. I think it did them more harm than it gets credit for.

Whether or not you like SOI, U2 wrote a genuine, heartfelt, intimate album that tells poignant personal stories yet at the same time can be applied to many situations.

They probably anticipated the lower sales given the Apple release, but didn't anticipate the lack of hits to this point. Just because SOI has yet to meet all of U2's goals doesn't mean it's a failure or that something "went wrong." A lot of it is circumstances and the target audience of the music industry in general and radio in particular these days. If U2 had released this record in 2000 instead of ATYCLB, there's a pretty good chance California or EBW reach BD status in the public eye.

The reasons for this shift are another discussion entirely. We all agree, however, that it's occurring. In my opinion, it explains more of the lack of relevance for U2 than people here are willing to admit. Sure, U2 could've definitely promoted some of these songs better- get something sent right to the radio after Miracle with the explicit intent of trying out for the next big U2 anthem. Iris, EBW, California, Volcano, SFS, even Reach could've done it in the right circumstances.

We all have our opinions, and it's fine to dislike this album, be lukewarm to it or criticize what we see as missteps regarding the whole process. It's a different thing entirely to pronounce as fact that SOI is "dead" and U2 need to do serious soul searching and rethinking before even considering moving forward.

I think when the tour gets under way they'll have lots of promotion, they'll be on all the chat shows going and we'll start seeing live footage all over the internet. Come May it's going to explode.

Of course I was, you say it like it's an uncommon occurrence or something :lock::lock::lock:

I don't mind The Miracle. It's nothing incredible, but I don't skip it if I'm listening to the album start to finish. I do think there were better choices for the lead single (California) but I don't think it's nearly as awful as some here make it out to be.

Of course I was, you say it like it's an uncommon occurrence or something :lock::lock::lock:

I don't mind The Miracle. It's nothing incredible, but I don't skip it if I'm listening to the album start to finish. I do think there were better choices for the lead single (California) but I don't think it's nearly as awful as some here make it out to be.

while i agree with you about the miracle (though disagree that california would have been better), it would be fairly hard to listen to the album from start to finish if you skipped the first song

On a serious note, where is Mikal? He is a regular poster and I haven't seen a post from him in more than a week and change. It only stands out because for someone who joked around a lot he seemed a bit down when posting here.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

For the record, I am the fuckstain who was wrong about the Iraq war.

Wait, you mean from the epic breakdown that "snowlock" had yesterday? Lol

That might have been the craziest exchange/rant I have ever witnessed on this forum. It was the forum poster equivalent of watching the Titanic sink and it was disturbing (credit to BVS for not taking the troll bait and jumping ship).

That might have been the craziest exchange/rant I have ever witnessed on this forum. It was the forum poster equivalent of watching the Titanic sink and it was disturbing (credit to BVS for not taking the troll bait and jumping ship).

Well it did come up in there. But yes i was wrong about that.

And not one person reported any of his posts.

Back
Top Bottom