SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok performance. Horrendous choice to play first on SNL.

I think because Kendrick liked it they’re convinced the song is cool now.

Ugh... The megaphone, the "sermon," Refu-Jesus in giant letters.... Cringe. There was nothing good about that at all.

Well shit, that was pretty awesome. Do I like American Soul now??

Laughing at how this is so love it or hate it.

Well shit, that was pretty awesome. Do I like American Soul now??

Laughing at how this is so love it or hate it.

Ha ha. I liked it more in the last 2 minutes, seemed like they were in a good groove in the 2nd half of the song. Is there a song more polarizing than this in U2 history?

I didn't see the performance, but... why this song? Don't understand the need to emphasize the political moments in advertising the album. SOE is clearly at its weakest when it's being overtly political, while it is great when it's personal.

Give me Get Out Of Your Own Way and Little Things with Love Is Bigger over the credits and they're golden

EDIT: I forgot about The Blackout. One good political song. Why don't they play that?

Last edited:
Performance was fine. Not a fan of "megaphone Bono" but they sounded good.

On the other hand, SNL is so bad it's making it hard to wait for U2.

Just read through dozens and dozens of tweets on Twitter. I would say they were about 70 percent positive, somewhat surprisingly.

I didn't see the performance, but... why this song? Don't understand the need to emphasize the political moments in advertising the album. SOE is clearly at its weakest when it's being overtly political, while it is great when it's personal.

Give me Get Out Of Your Own Way and Little Things with Love Is Bigger over the credits and they're golden

Get Out is supposedly the next song based on dress rehearsal reports.

As much as I liked AS on SNL.....

I liked watching the U2 Super Bowl halftime special on the NFL network even better.
Incredible story and performance. NFL Network is showing it again in a little while.
Highly recommend watching or taping it. Such great songs.

Yeah I really don’t know what they were thinking. AS is just a meh song (honestly all of the songs they have released promotional are, for me anyway, in the bottom tier of the album other than GOOYOW). Hopefully that is better performed.

Should have played LIBTAIIW (or even YTBTAM) instead.

This album will have serious legs and several more promotional opportunities leading up to the tour. I'd rather get Red Flag, Summer of Love, Lights of Home, etc. once they have time to figure out killer live performance.

That performance was so awkward. First to have only a recording of Kendrick’s spoken word seems like a missed opportunity. Then the lyric video in the background was a cop out. The song stinks. The megaphone was edgy a decade ago. None of U2’s spirit in that performance whatsoever.

Not a good performance of AS on SNL unfortunately. It just didn’t work. Hopefully it improves.

hoppefully they wake up and stop playing it !!! :doh:
there are better songs that deserve to be defended on this album

btw, technical problems like the guitar tha was too loud had terminated it.
they probably thing this is the way to quit the business :doh:

Last edited:
One thing about the performance of AS, it was a lot better than any of the skits. Wow, this show is terrible.

I wonder if we get 2 songs now. It’s almost 11:50. I always thought the musical guest played their 2nd song earlier than this.

This album will have serious legs and several more promotional opportunities leading up to the tour. I'd rather get Red Flag, Summer of Love, Lights of Home, etc. once they have time to figure out killer live performance.

It won’t have legs because it doesn’t have a strong single to buoy it in the public consciousness. They’ve undermined themselves with the single choices so far and a clunky live performance of AS doesn’t help. The established fans will discover the deeper cuts but nobody else is being given a reason to look for them.

I wonder if we get 2 songs now. It’s almost 11:50. I always thought the musical guest played their 2nd song earlier than this.

U2 used to be VIPs playing 3-4 songs. I recall the cast visibly standing along side the stage to watch them. They just don’t carry that kind of weight anymore.

U2 used to be VIPs playing 3-4 songs. I recall the cast visibly standing along side the stage to watch them. They just don’t carry that kind of weight anymore.

They have never played 3 full songs on air. Last time we got about 2 mins of Ultraviolet before it was cut off.

The came out and played I Will Follow during the credits in 2004 when promoting Bomb.

I believe they also played three songs in 2009, Ultraviolet being the last.

I think that was the last time they were on before tonight.

Back
Top Bottom