SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Review is immediately disqualified.

LOL. Told you it was a hot take. :D:lol:

But to be fair - it just shows you the reach that this album has. I think with this mention, every song on the album has been mentioned as a standout track at least once by people that have heard it.
Thats pretty impressive.

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on the three or four best songs and that’s a great sign!

True. The one that surprises me the most, is Landlady. Started out really bummed because the first review from Saul O Enigma said it was the worst of the bunch.
But since then, I think 3 people/reviews have called it a highlight song. So it will be really fun to find out.

True. The one that surprises me the most, is Landlady. Started out really bummed because the first review from Saul O Enigma said it was the worst of the bunch.
But since then, I think 3 people/reviews have called it a highlight song. So it will be really fun to find out.

i don't know why you'd get bummed out because of one review by one fan of the song - and the fan is somebody you don't even know. even if they were your best friend, i'm sure you and he/she disagree on some songs.

now if there had been dozens of reviews saying landlady sucks, then ok. i'd get that. but we're talking Random U2 Fan Reviews (TM). there's no point in getting bothered one way or another on whether they like it or not.

i don't know why you'd get bummed out because of one review by one fan of the song - and the fan is somebody you don't even know. even if they were your best friend, i'm sure you and he/she disagree on some songs.

now if there had been dozens of reviews saying landlady sucks, then ok. i'd get that. but we're talking Random U2 Fan Reviews (TM). there's no point in getting bothered one way or another on whether they like it or not.

True, I think i gave it some weight because he seemed to have a pretty close opinion on past material that I did. And the fact that he gave it a 4, seemed like a - wow, that must be pretty obviously weak.
But just shows the range of opinion

American Soul certainly isn't the best U2 song of the last decade! Sleep Like A Baby, Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon and The Troubles deserve such an accolade.

American Soul certainly isn't the best U2 song of the last decade! Sleep Like A Baby, Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon and The Troubles deserve such an accolade.

yeah, its not even in the ballpark, and it seems like one of weakest songs on this album from the reviews we've heard up to now.

Add to that Magnificent, Fez, EBW, No Line on the Horizon, Crystal Ballroom, RBW. Those are WAY above and quite few more solidly better the AS as well...

My opinion of course. but that statement really came out of the blue.

Wow it's mad how people's opinions differ. I'd put cedars easily in my top 10 worst u2 songs. I always skipped it even when I loved nloth

"Clumsy Lights of Home"...looking forward to hearing it even more now :up:

Thanks for the link!

For those having trouble with the translation page (didn't work for me):

U2 is done: Can not do more
One of the world's tallest rock bands sounds a bit dodgy on yet another mediocre album

Once upon a time, it was a big event when U2 released a new album. It's not anymore, because the giants' format is dulled.

Megaband's latest 'Songs of Innocence' release from 2014 was a blur of dimensions and will only go into history because, in collaboration with Apple, it was delivered free to 500 million global users of iTunes.

See also: U2 album is 'devastating'

The album's overbearing launch gave backwards, so you would think that U2 like everyone else was interested in forgetting the fadus, but added a complete lack of sense, they call the follow-up 'Songs of Experience'.

It has been an artistic declaration of failure to publish a tour since the New Testament proved to be a popped version of the aftermath.

Uambitious songs
Experience has, however, apparently not made Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. smarter, and as Metallica released 'Reload' after 'Load' disappointed, the backbone is back with a feeling that the Quartet has lost its grip on its career.

The Irans surrendered to the past in the past months to give album concerts with 30-year-old 'The Joshua Tree', which together with the group's other distinctive slices, 'Achtung Baby' and 'War', has a clearly defined identity.

See also: U2: Not much worth it

On 'Songs of Experience', U2 turns into a musical nobody's country where the most remarkable discovery is that there is astonishing little to come.

U2 is not good and they are not bad. They are only on unambitious songs like 'Landlady', 'The Blackout' and 'Get Out of Your Own Way' who resign without crucial riffs, hooks and ideas.
The legends are visited by Kendrick Lamar on harmlessly stunned 'American Soul', but the presence of the rap star appears to be the veterans' awkward attempts to seem relevant for a time that apparently ran from them.

Sober remnants
The alarm clocks bumble, as 'You're the Best Thing About Me', worryingly reminiscent of the fabric of Bryan Adams.

Just as you've lost all hope that U2 is able to force just a simple good song out of the system in 2017, they are impressed in the form of the little psychic ballad 'Summer of Love' whose cuddly melody suddenly gets d 'Gentlemen to sound like they have something on their minds.

See also: U2: Burned supertanks
Sparky 'Red Flag Day' can also be known, but the number's naive tone and characteristic choir is a strange backstreet echo of the orchestra's first records from the early 1980s.

'I believe my best days are ahead', Bono sings without conviction in the sad remnants of the voice of the clumsy 'Lights of Home'.

He does not even think about it. We do not, at least, do.

Cedars is a "song"? :huh: YouTube isn't exactly crawling with covers of it on there.

Thanks for the link!

For those having trouble with the translation page (didn't work for me):

U2 is done: Can not do more

One of the world's tallest rock bands sounds a bit dodgy on yet another mediocre album

Once upon a time, it was a big event when U2 released a new album. It's not anymore, because the giants' format is dulled.

Megaband's latest 'Songs of Innocence' release from 2014 was a blur of dimensions and will only go into history because, in collaboration with Apple, it was delivered free to 500 million global users of iTunes.

See also: U2 album is 'devastating'

The album's overbearing launch gave backwards, so you would think that U2 like everyone else was interested in forgetting the fadus, but added a complete lack of sense, they call the follow-up 'Songs of Experience'.

It has been an artistic declaration of failure to publish a tour since the New Testament proved to be a popped version of the aftermath.

Uambitious songs

Experience has, however, apparently not made Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. smarter, and as Metallica released 'Reload' after 'Load' disappointed, the backbone is back with a feeling that the Quartet has lost its grip on its career.

The Irans surrendered to the past in the past months to give album concerts with 30-year-old 'The Joshua Tree', which together with the group's other distinctive slices, 'Achtung Baby' and 'War', has a clearly defined identity.

See also: U2: Not much worth it

On 'Songs of Experience', U2 turns into a musical nobody's country where the most remarkable discovery is that there is astonishing little to come.

U2 is not good and they are not bad. They are only on unambitious songs like 'Landlady', 'The Blackout' and 'Get Out of Your Own Way' who resign without crucial riffs, hooks and ideas.

The legends are visited by Kendrick Lamar on harmlessly stunned 'American Soul', but the presence of the rap star appears to be the veterans' awkward attempts to seem relevant for a time that apparently ran from them.

Sober remnants

The alarm clocks bumble, as 'You're the Best Thing About Me', worryingly reminiscent of the fabric of Bryan Adams.

Just as you've lost all hope that U2 is able to force just a simple good song out of the system in 2017, they are impressed in the form of the little psychic ballad 'Summer of Love' whose cuddly melody suddenly gets d 'Gentlemen to sound like they have something on their minds.

See also: U2: Burned supertanks

Sparky 'Red Flag Day' can also be known, but the number's naive tone and characteristic choir is a strange backstreet echo of the orchestra's first records from the early 1980s.

'I believe my best days are ahead', Bono sings without conviction in the sad remnants of the voice of the clumsy 'Lights of Home'.

He does not even think about it. We do not, at least, do.

It's a terrible review, first bad one I've seen. But they still give the album 3/5 which isn't bad just average

It's a terrible review, first bad one I've seen. But they still give the album 3/5 which isn't bad just average

Even with the bad review, the reviewer enjoyed Summer Of Love and Red Flag Day (to an extent). With all of the other praise for these two songs, I think we can say that they will be the best on the album.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put to much importance on the fact that some reviewer has some mediocre opinion about your favourite band. Just read a review by a newspaper from Frankfurt Germany that thinks the album is nothing special. I read her credentials and the old girl likes krimi's and ballet. Figures because she did't name one song from the album in her review but just stated that no song was special. Everyone who can type gets the chance to give his or her verdict on the interwebs these days. Sweet!!

Wow it's mad how people's opinions differ. I'd put cedars easily in my top 10 worst u2 songs. I always skipped it even when I loved nloth

I’m with you. Ceaders is one of the worst U2 songs for me, bottom of the barrel.

However, it just goes to show the different types of U2 fans that some love that song and others love Elevation.

I wouldn't put to much importance on the fact that some reviewer has some mediocre opinion about your favourite band. Just read a review by a newspaper from Frankfurt Germany that thinks the album is nothing special. I read her credentials and the old girl likes krimi's and ballet. Figures because she did't name one song from the album in her review but just stated that no song was special. Everyone who can type gets the chance to give his or her verdict on the interwebs these days. Sweet!!

:lol::applaud::applaud:

Yikes! Get ready for a hot take folks.

Andy Hermann‏ - LA Weekly Music Editor

@AndyHermannLA
Pleasantly amazed at how good #U2SongsOfExperience is. Not wall-to-wall winners but they sound re-energized and "American Soul" is their best song in at least a decade.

It’s all opinions and musical tastes but that is a very good endorsement of the album.

I do think reviewers are probably more likely to want to talk about songs that they know haven't been heard yet. So maybe why little things, AS, TBT and GOOYOW have not been mentioned as much. either positively or negatively.

What’s great about Cedars?
The lyrics! The storytelling! Did I mention the lyrics?

Okay. But what about the actual music itself? Instrumental? Melodies?
*crickets*

All serving to tell the story. Not every song has to shoot confetti out of its ass. There's room for lyrical depth and complexity and subdued instrumentals in the U2 canon. I speak for the listener who prefers songs like "Exit" and "Velvet Dress" and "Promenade" to sugary melodies that rhyme words like moles and holes.

Knowing a reviewer's personal tastes is huge. The fact that so many people dislike So Cruel, Tryin to Throw Your Arms, In A Little While, etc. tells me that many will likely dismiss any quiet, atmospheric tunes like Landlady as weak.

But given that I find all of the ones I listed to be brilliant, it leaves me quite optimistic that Landlady and others will be great.

Surprised reviewers haven't given a shout out to 'Little Things'. First time I heard it I thought it was fairly decent but easily forgettable - another MOR filler for their post 2000 catalogue. But upon listening to it a couple times more it really took to my heart. I love the naked vulnerability in the lyrics and his delivery in the live performances were tender and raw. I really do believe that is when Bono is at his best, when he isn't trying to play up to an overblown comedic rock persona and is instead singing about himself and his own insecurities. It's so obviously a U2 song but not in a U2 trying to ape older U2 material of which they've been guilty of a few times in recent years.

All serving to tell the story. Not every song has to shoot confetti out of its ass. There's room for lyrical depth and complexity and subdued instrumentals in the U2 canon. I speak for the listener who prefers songs like "Exit" and "Velvet Dress" and "Promenade" to sugary melodies that rhyme words like moles and holes.

i typically go for the “confetti out of the ass” songs because they are fun and exciting. However, if done right i do like the more subdued songs too. Promenade is one that i enjoy and Velvet Dress has its merits (love the moon/mirror ball line) although deep voice Bono is not one that i care for.

And for the record....moles do dig holes, so leave Elevation alone!

#facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom