SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

"The old tub-thumbing zeal is by contrast restored on ‘Lights Of Home’, where a loping riff and a gospel-inflected vocal harks back to ‘The Unforgettable Fire’. The pedal remains pressed to the floor on ‘Red Flag Day’, where Edge is once again star, and on ‘The Blackout’, a spiritual successor to the industrial avant-pop of ‘The Fly’."

Finally, an endorsement for Lights of Home! Yet another call out for Red Flag Day and the first call out for The Blackout(which I know is very good).

They also mention that You're the Best Thing is not a song they think is good (I like the song but that comment will likely make a few here happy an optimistic)

Nice.

I’m very happy that reviews are being honest about perceptions, Bono’s failings etc - yet they all seem very positive about the music itself.

This reviewer also seemed to indicate that Experience is a stronger album than Innocence(for what it's worth).

Review makes SOE sound like a solid late-career album. Nothing enthusiastic but still positive. If most reviews are like this, it'll be a step up from the critical reception of NLOTH and SOI.

Review makes SOE sound like a solid late-career album. Nothing enthusiastic but still positive. If most reviews are like this, it'll be a step up from the critical reception of NLOTH and SOI.

... and Rolling Stone will give it its usual 5-star review anyway.

Nah... certainly not after the Jann Wenner thing, no matter how good the album would be. Now having said that, I'd bet the farm it's another 4-star review, yo

Nah... certainly not after the Jann Wenner thing, no matter how good the album would be. Now having said that, I'd bet the farm it's another 4-star review, yo

What Jann Winner thing? Considering RS gave NLOTH and SOI 5-star reviews, it must have been something that happened between 2014 and now, right?

I just think the publication would at least attempt to make the appearance of rectifying their error in order to achieve some semblance of credibility. Yeah, yeah--they rated NLOTH 5-stars, but that certainly was not the general consensus (even though I do adore that record, warts and all). So for the sake of reputability, I'm just assuming they're gonna rate the album not purely on its merits, but rather for appearance's sake (and yes, I'm aware of the irony in this hypothetical hah)

I just think the publication would at least attempt to make the appearance of rectifying their error in order to achieve some semblance of credibility. Yeah, yeah--they rated NLOTH 5-stars, but that certainly was not the general consensus (even though I do adore that record, warts and all). So for the sake of reputability, I'm just assuming they're gonna rate the album not purely on its merits, but rather for appearance's sake (and yes, I'm aware of the irony in this hypothetical hah)

I suspect they'll go with a modest yet solid 3.5, but I would laugh my ass off if they gave it 5. Considering they gave AB 4 stars and NLOTH 5, their credibility has been suspect in this category for awhile.

Can't wait to hear it again but I will say on first listen I loved this album.
I'd describe SOI as a grower not a shower. But SOE by contrast is all show from the get go.

The too-many-cooks tag-team of producers overseeing Songs Of Innocence — including Danger Mouse and Ryan Tedder — has been slimmed down to Royal Blood wingman Jolyon Thomas, a back-to-basics stance that pays off with what is arguably U2’s finest album since 2004’s How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Funny that the copy they have only had one producer on it. The credits I've seen show more producers than on SOI.

The big coup is the presence on album centre-piece ‘American Soul’ of rapper of the hour Kendrick Lamar. It’s the third collaboration between the Los Angeles rhymer and the Irish rockers and is once again infused with

Isn't it it second collab? This guy thinking that Kendrick pushed Bono to....be more urgent by singing exactly how he always does is interesting.

This review is sloppy and the critic sucks

Until the magazine does get new ownership, I wouldn't be the farm on it until then!

What Jann Winner thing? Considering RS gave NLOTH and SOI 5-star reviews, it must have been something that happened between 2014 and now, right?

He admitted to basically ordering the magazine to make SOI the magazine's "Album Of the Year" without any debate.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017...rolling-stones-2014-album-of-the-year-report/

That and the band has consistently gotten 5-star reviews from the magazine for their recent album, despite some concerns from us and others about the overall quality for at least some of the songs.

Along with giving Mick Jagger's solo release in 2001 a 5-star review, Jann's been known for occasionally bending the line to give a positive review to certain artists at most costs too.

https://jezebel.com/the-hootie-the-blowfish-review-that-got-a-rolling-sto-1695927815

Just read the mojo and q reviews, very good reviews. Makes me more excited for next Friday now

Until the magazine does get new ownership, I wouldn't be the farm on it until then!

He admitted to basically ordering the magazine to make SOI the magazine's "Album Of the Year" without any debate.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017...rolling-stones-2014-album-of-the-year-report/

That and the band has consistently gotten 5-star reviews from the magazine for their recent album, despite some concerns from us and others about the overall quality for at least some of the songs.

Along with giving Mick Jagger's solo release in 2001 a 5-star review, Jann's been known for occasionally bending the line to give a positive review to certain artists at most costs too.

https://jezebel.com/the-hootie-the-blowfish-review-that-got-a-rolling-sto-1695927815
How dare they mess with Hootie.

That Irish Examiner review is crap- Joylon Thomas the only producer? At least get the production credits right. And finest album since Bomb? SOI kills Bomb.

Funny that the copy they have only had one producer on it. The credits I've seen show more producers than on SOI.

Isn't it it second collab? This guy thinking that Kendrick pushed Bono to....be more urgent by singing exactly how he always does is interesting.

Did they even "collaborate"? U2 gave KL a remixed sample for XXX - the piece was already written for AS. And then KL tosses them a short spoken word in return. I wonder how this all came about.

That Irish Examiner review is crap- Joylon Thomas the only producer? At least get the production credits right. And finest album since Bomb? SOI kills Bomb.

At least the point of reference is reasonable. The review didn't give us the "best since AB" schlock. U2 albums have decreased in quality since ATYCLB. Rivaling ATYCLB is the reasonable high mark standard.

XXX, GOOYOW, and AS ;)

The producer thing is weird. Did they really just make something up, or do they have an overall producer credited with individual songs having separate production credits that they skipped over?

So true !!! :up::up::up:

Yikes! Get ready for a hot take folks.

Andy Hermann‏ - LA Weekly Music Editor

@AndyHermannLA
Pleasantly amazed at how good #U2SongsOfExperience is. Not wall-to-wall winners but they sound re-energized and "American Soul" is their best song in at least a decade.

Yikes! Get ready for a hot take folks.

Andy Hermann‏ - LA Weekly Music Editor

@AndyHermannLA
Pleasantly amazed at how good #U2SongsOfExperience is. Not wall-to-wall winners but they sound re-energized and "American Soul" is their best song in at least a decade.

Daniel Kohn has replied to his tweet - Best album since zooropa tbh

Daniel Kohn has replied to his tweet - Best album since zooropa tbh

Oh damn. I saw that comment but didn't know who he was! That's awesome.
Wow, and quite a statement.

So just to be clear, I know that fans can be quick to jump to the best since... whatever album thing. But usually not with actual music reviewers. - In fact , most reviewers gave SOI OK to savage reviews out of the gate.

And from what i can recall so far, EVERY person, fan or music critic so far (except maybe Uncut??) Have out of the gate said that this is the best album in - at the least 13 years, and most saying best in the last 17 to 24 years!!
I find it hard to believe that with that much consistency of opinion that we are in for a so - so album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom