SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite an album. I'm digesting, and the audio sucks and I have a four year old running around, but...still.

So as I’ve said. I’m loving the album.

But just want to say, Love is Bigger...
I’m moving it to upper tier. Wow.
When Saul O’ said it sounds like voices dropping from the sky on the chorus. Damn was he right.

I also think it has the ability to be one of U2 most popular songs since Achtung Baby. How? I see this being played at the closing of big TV shows and movies. Played at weddings, graduations. It seems like one of those songs that could be a very “known” song.

Whether they try and push it like that, probably not. But it could be. Really. Such a BIG song.

listening now....Summer of Love and Red Flag Day are pretty fucking great :up:

Agree. Only heard half of Red Flag Day due to distractions but liked the simplicity. TBT and American Soul weak to me, the former by a mile the latter not in a catastrophic way. It fits the tone. I also like Showman as it reminds me of a throwaway track they would have done during Pop or ATYCLB. Light and airy.

The opening track reminds me of Velvet Underground. Not comparing the two albums at all, but as an opener it was very "Sunday Morning" to me.

This new rip is better quality, right?

And yes, if anyone cares, have broken my promise to myself not to listen more than twice and am currently on my fourth listen.... but I need three days' break before the HQ Rip.

Why should we have all these rules though, Joe?

Also, let's just all agree and be done with it: U2 don't know what a first single is supposed to be or accomplish for the album that is to follow.

Let's never again get our hopes up for the single and just wait for the album.

Agree. Only heard half of Red Flag Day due to distractions but liked the simplicity. TBT and American Soul weak to me, the former by a mile the latter not in a catastrophic way. It fits the tone. I also like Showman as it reminds me of a throwaway track they would have done during Pop or ATYCLB. Light and airy.

The opening track reminds me of Velvet Underground. Not comparing the two albums at all, but as an opener it was very "Sunday Morning" to me.

I have listened to American Soul a couple of times since my initial impression, and it's not as bad as i initially thought even with the chorus ripped from Volcano which had the riff that came from Glastonbury.

But yeah, the album might be a lot stronger than the singles made it appear. Will be interesting to give it a proper start to finish listen.

I was dreading 13 due to my distaste of SFS. My fears were unfounded- perfectly fits the melancholy that opens the record. Stunning.

Remember the shitty studio version of North Star that was briefly played on Transformers? Is it possible that it morphed into Love Is Bigger? Totally throwing it out there and might be way off.

Remember the shitty studio version of North Star that was briefly played on Transformers? Is it possible that it morphed into Love Is Bigger? Totally throwing it out there and might be way off.

I was thinking more of the Lights of Home - it has that Johnny Cash swagger, and even the "Hey Now" from the early EBW from that era.

Showman has a serious E Street Band vibe.

Great reference. Didn’t think of it before but totally fits.

Hope this feeling lasts but this is an outstanding album on first listen!

Red Flag Day or Showman needs to the next single.

Not sure how Little Things could disappoint any U2 fan. Stunning.

Great reference. Didn’t think of it before but totally fits.

Hope this feeling lasts but this is an outstanding album on first listen!

Red Flag Day or Showman needs to the next single.

Not sure how Little Things could disappoint any U2 fan. Stunning.

Red Flag Day needs to be a single (or something like that). It's so vibrant and pleasing to the ears. And it has a strong "old school" u2 vibe (something to do with the groove and edge's backing vocals) while feeling modern.

Remember when Bono would try his hardest to get the crowd to sing “free yourself to be yourself”? Well he went full blown this time in Lights Of Home. You fuckers WILL sing along this time.

I feel wildly unqualified to make a ranking or even review it yet without proper audio, but it is emotional, cohesive, and, in parts, inventive, which is something I felt the last 3 albums lacked. Excited to listen again.

Remember the shitty studio version of North Star that was briefly played on Transformers? Is it possible that it morphed into Love Is Bigger? Totally throwing it out there and might be way off.[/

Remove “space cowboy” and they have my permission to release North Star. Until then nada!!

Love Is Bigger is so *damn good*.

Also, Lights of Home is really growing on me. I can't imagine it or Red Flag Day not being up for next single, though I'm not as big a fan of the latter yet.

I'll wait a week or so, and for the CD (& high quality audio) to arrive of course, before ranking it as albums need time to percolate in the mind before giving a proper review.

But...so far...this is bloody good.

Anyone want to try this link? I can’t download on iPhone but may possibly be a legit site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom